E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG Adjustment Period

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Grey Metallic SMG, Black Nasca Leather, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Ventilated Seats, Sat Radio, Split Folding Rear Seats

I know there have been posts before along these lines, just couldn't seem to find any relevant ones. I am waiting for receipt of my 545i with SMG, and was curious what others who had limited, test drive only expereince with SMG have had in the first 30-60 days with there new car. I would have probably gone with a 6 speed but felt that the SMG gave me the advantage to actually drive the car not steer it like you do with an automatic, and the ability to occasionally use the auto mode, when say the wife drives. Your impressions would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:13 AM
JDN
Contributors

It took a while to get it down smooth, but I didn't have all the experience on this board to help me since I had one of the first. Now, I can shift as smoothly as I ever could with a stick and downshifts are worry free and something I do more than ever with a stick shift. The key to a smooth up-shift is a slight lift off the accelerator exactly timed with the paddle lift. You do not need to totally get off the accelerator pedal, just a slight lift. After years and years of stick shifts, I don't think I would go back from SMG.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Grey Metallic SMG, Black Nasca Leather, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Ventilated Seats, Sat Radio, Split Folding Rear Seats

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jan 23 2005, 02:13 PM
It took a while to get it down smooth, but I didn't have all the experience on this board to help me since I had one of the first. Now, I can shift as smoothly as I ever could with a stick and downshifts are worry free and something I do more than ever with a stick shift. The key to a smooth up-shift is a slight lift off the accelerator exactly timed with the paddle lift. You do not need to totally get off the accelerator pedal, just a slight lift. After years and years of stick shifts, I don't think I would go back from SMG.
[snapback]82189[/snapback]
Off topic, but do you have 34% tint on the front and back windows?
Old 01-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

JDN's car and mine are two from the first batches of SMG cars built. It does take some time, patience, and practice to become expert.

I'm able to shift smoothly (like JDN) but I will say that after 10,000 miles, I'm still learning, tweaking, and adjusting. I did some extensive snow practice yesterday and realized there's another little learning curve that I forgot about -- winter driving.

Needless to say, like JDN, after only owning manuals since I was able to drive, there's no way I'm going back to an old-fashioned manual...
Old 01-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I've had my SMG since Nov. and I feel that I have got a good hang of it now.

It took about a month solid to finally get to a point where I can accelerate quickly while keeping the shifts silky smooth.

Like was said before.... the trick is to let off the gas just a touch while shifting. Here is my procedure:

Accelerate, then flick paddle to shift.... but do not let go of gas. Once the shift paddle engages the clutch, let off the gas pedal just a touch... wait for the clutch to disengage, then press the gas pedal again.

That said, I would NOT recommend the SMG to anyone who doesn't have experience driving a true stick-shift manual. Without previous manual experience, the concept of manipulating the gas pedal pressure while shifting gears is much harder to understand, and to master.

The SMG is not a suitable replacement for an automatic. If your wife can't drive stick, then she won't drive the SMG well. The ride will be rough and choppy.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

It takes a little bit... I'm Still learning... I can drive slowly and smoothly but once I try to accelerate a little more and shift its not as smoth...
Old 01-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by purth01' date='Jan 23 2005, 01:02 PM
I know there have been posts before along these lines, just couldn't seem to find any relevant ones.? I am waiting for receipt of my 545i with SMG, and was curious what others who had limited, test drive only expereince with SMG have had in the first 30-60 days with there new car.? I would have probably gone with a 6 speed but felt that the SMG gave me the advantage to actually drive the car not steer it like you do with an automatic, and the ability to occasionally use the auto mode, when say the wife drives.? Your impressions would be appreciated.
[snapback]82187[/snapback]
I would like to hear more about this too. I am leaning toward odering the 6 speed manual over the SMG. I have the steptronic auto in my 540 now and really miss shifting . The steptronic is slow shifting although I know the SMG provides a faster shift. It does fair holding a gear approaching a curve and accellerating out of it, but up-shifts are too slow. But, there's something missing, maybe the lack of clutch or something that makes me feel disconnected from the car. I sometimes lose track of what gear I'm in when I get to a red light (starts out slow in thrid gear you know). It's really not practical to use steptronic for upshifts due to the hesitation to shift. At least a full second it feels like.

JDN and others, why would you not go back to a manual? Do you lose track of what gear you're in, especially at a red light? Do you primarely drive in automatic mode or due you exclusively or almost exclusively drive in sequential manual mode? Does the 545 have the same SMG system as the M3, or is the M3 version different (ie. more variable shift patterns/shift speed)? Do you you have to use i-drive to change shift patterns? Off subject, is i-drive as bad as the press makes it out to be?

Man, I know that's a lot of questions, but thanks.
Markt
Old 01-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The SMG in the 5 series is different than the M3.

I drive in manual mode 95% of the time. The only time I drive in auto mode is when I am doing something like changing CDs, or anything like that where my attention is on something other than shifting.

I love the SMG. I love it more than true manual. I would never go back to a true manual if I have the SMG option on a car.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:17 PM
JDN
Contributors

Yes, I do sometimes lose track of what gear I am in and wish it appeared in my HUD display. However, I ususally just paddle up once more and it is usually a non event because I am already in sixth. Going down the scale is easier.

I never do the upshifts in Drive mode. I am always paddling up and mostly paddling down, too, but not as religiously as up shifting. Finally, because of the options of shifting up or down with either hand, the options give me more freedom as to what I might want to do with the right hand.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:18 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by purth01' date='Jan 23 2005, 01:57 PM
Off topic, but do you have 34% tint on the front and back windows?
[snapback]82195[/snapback]
Yes. Same tint all the way 'round.

Quick Reply: SMG Adjustment Period