E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG acting weird?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 06:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i, silver/black, sports pck, premium sound, cold weather pck, SMG, NAV, sat. radio. Porsche 996 C2 '99

Originally Posted by fq1' date='Dec 29 2004, 11:43 AM
I am not sure if I have experienced what you have on my 3 SMG, but I have kind of trained myself to look at the gear selection display similar to looking at other displays in the dash.? That's because I have occasionally found myself in the manual mode when I wanted to be in the auto.

Please also note that I have found with my SMG that at times if the car is stopped and I shift into neutral to shift into reverse and then decide against it and move the lever back towards D, it does not shift and remains in neutral.? In order to actually get it into D again, I have to move it into reverse wait a couple of seconds and then move it back into D.? It is a little bit quirky, but I have learned to live with it considering that it is mainly an electronic "linkage" and the amount of pleasure I derive out of it 99% of the time.
[snapback]73402[/snapback]
I just got my car 1 week ago and I am having the same problem, if you shift with the paddle to 1st it shifts fine, but is this normal?
Old 02-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

BMW has acknowledged the problem in their service bulletin and I guess they are working on a fix. I dont know what casued the bulletin release. I can only wonder if it was because of me or azwdct's car. or maybe even others who dont post on messageboards since it sounds like a rare cases...

The tech says the service bulletin says (not in the exact same wording) "SMG Transmission changes from automatic mode D3 to manual mode M2 when slowing and turning and impedes steering effort" somthing to that extent.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:30 AM

SMG = Should have gotten,Manual,Guy!
Old 02-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 6 2005, 07:30 AM
SMG = Should have gotten,Manual,Guy!
[snapback]87262[/snapback]
Is that so?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Members

I never use Auto mode (since manual is too much fun!), but I did experiment with this the other day and the same thing happened to me -- twice. When I come to a stop it goes from Auto to Manual with no provocation.

I guess I just found another good reason not to use auto mode!
Old 02-07-2005, 06:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Zaphod' date='Feb 7 2005, 04:46 AM
I never use Auto mode (since manual is too much fun!), but I did experiment with this the other day and the same thing happened to me -- twice.? When I come to a stop it goes from Auto to Manual with no provocation.?

I guess I just found another good reason not to use auto mode!
[snapback]87469[/snapback]

THANK YOU!!! Thanks for trying it and reporting it here. NOW can I ask one more thing? Can you please Call BMW NA at 1-800-831-1117 and report your problem? I need all the help I can get to let BMW know there are more cases of this happening out there than just my car and azwdct's car that way they will work on a fix faster. If you know what I mean. I too agree I prefer to use manual mode but I do need automode to work as I'm not the only one that drives the car 100% of the time.

Please let me know what they tell you at BMW NA. if you prefer you can PM me instead of posting.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:23 PM

BMW says in the owner's manual not to use the acceleration assistant too much since it causes premature wear on the SMG?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 7 2005, 03:23 PM
BMW says in the owner's manual not to use the acceleration assistant too much since it causes premature wear on the SMG? ? ?
Yes that is correct!! Do you know what Acceleration Assitant is??!!
Old 02-07-2005, 12:58 PM

Something like going into hyperspace or hyperdrive?
Old 02-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Guest_EBMCS03_*

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 7 2005, 04:23 PM
BMW says in the owner's manual not to use the acceleration assistant too much since it causes premature wear on the SMG? ? ?
[snapback]87599[/snapback]
Ya so what does that have to do with this thread? I havent even used it once.

Quick Reply: SMG acting weird?