E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG acting weird?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i - Titanium Grey/Grey/SMG/Nav/sports pack/premium pack/sirius prep

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jan 12 2005, 09:27 PM
Ok its definetly happenning... today it happened 3 times on the same stretch of road in auto mode it switches to manual mode itself and after driving it in manual mode for a little I switched back to auto mode it happened again out of no where it switches back to manual mode while I had it in Automatic mode and FOR SURE I did not touch the paddels or the shift lever to initiate the change.

Anyone else with SMG have this happen to them?
[snapback]78638[/snapback]
Never happened to me either.

Nick
Old 01-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2005 5-series

Is this common only to 545i's or is there a 530i that this has happen to also?

What a weird problem?

I would prefer it defaulting from manual to auto mode and not the other way around since you will find yourself at redline unknowingly.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

This has happened to me once - after a gearbox software upgrade from the dealer...

Jochen
Old 01-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

EBMCS03.. bring it to the dealer.. they will help you fixing it. My guess is the software problem.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I have had this problem also. Howevey, user error, not vehicle error. At first I kept saying the car is going in by itself. I then noticed, when I was turing the steering wheek or resting my hand on the shift knob. I was very lightly pushing either the steering wheel buttons, or stick. This infact happened tonight. The sensitivity of the paddle shifters and councile shifter is good, but again their is a draw-back.

Good luck, I hope you have the same problem. For me, I just need to re-train myself not to do this.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545 smg sport, black sapphire, beige dakotah interior, poplar trim, cold weather pkg, comfort ventilated seats, logic 7 premium sound, nav, hud, sunshades, fold-down rear seats, satellite radio

EBMCSO3,

Yes, I had, and still have the same problem and, unlike what others seem to have experienced, it was not "user error". I took the car in for service several times, but despite software updates, etc., they have not been able to solve the problem. Mine does not occur as frequent as yours, but it does occur once about every two weeks. I simply have resorted to keeping the car in manual mode. I find it extremely frustrating that BMW has not been able to resolve the issue. I can confirm that it is not user error as I have been with someone else in the car when it occured and my hands were nowhere but on the steering wheel. I have an order on the new M5 and am hoping that it will be fixed before I take delivery in about 12 months. Good luck, let me know if find a resolution as I will be very interested. A corporate representative is due to look at he car next week.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by azwdct' date='Jan 13 2005, 09:19 PM
A corporate representative is due to look at he car next week.
[snapback]78999[/snapback]
Oh really? Please update on how it goes... I'll let you know how it goes Satt and what they say.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Jan 13 2005, 08:59 PM
I have had this problem also.? Howevey, user error, not vehicle error.? At first I kept saying the car is going in by itself.? I then noticed, when I was turing the steering wheek or resting my hand on the shift knob. I was very lightly pushing either the steering wheel buttons, or stick.? This infact happened tonight.? The sensitivity of the paddle shifters and councile shifter is good, but again their is a draw-back.

Good luck, I hope you have the same problem.? For me, I just need to re-train myself not to do this.
[snapback]78995[/snapback]
I'm pretty sure its not user error for me either... It happened too many times especially when I was LOOKING out for it and it still happened... I put it in automatic sports mode today and it didnt happen. But It was mostly highway driving... when it did happen i've only experienced it in city roads.

I wonder if its soooooooooo sensitive that a bump can "bump" the stick or paddle to go into manual mode...

We'll see....
Old 01-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Hey Eric, I would quit f**king around w/ it and take it back to your servicing dealer ASAP. If it is indeed NOT drivers error. Reason: Because I don't have that problem w/ my SMG and no, road bumps will not change from D to Manual. But be prepared to demonstrate the problem, because if they can dupicated, then they can't fix it.

Know what I mean ??

cheers,

beewang
Old 01-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Jan 13 2005, 09:50 PM
Hey Eric, I would quit f**king around w/ it and take it back to your servicing dealer ASAP. If it is indeed NOT drivers error. Reason: Because I don't have that problem w/ my SMG and no, road bumps will not change from D to Manual. But be prepared to demonstrate the problem, because if they can dupicated, then they can't fix it.

Know what I mean ??

cheers,

beewang
[snapback]79008[/snapback]

Ya I know what you mean... but shoot! I have no confidence in BMW dealers they usually break more than they can fix!

Quick Reply: SMG acting weird?