E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG acting weird?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 12:04 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ok I did lots of searching and wasnt about to locate the thread on this same topic.

Something weird happened today already, Twice too!! I had the car in auto mode and after a compete stop at a stop sign it changed from D1(automatic) to 1 (manual mode) by itself. I didnt notice till it was screaming its head off at >5K in first. So I changed it back to Auto and after the next stop sign I watched it and the SAME thing happened! After putting it in Auto again I tried to duplicate it but wasnt able to anymore. I'm almost positive I didnt accidently hit the gear lever or the padles to change it to manual mode... and for certain the second time.

I know someone has posted a while back on this same issue but I cant seem to locate the thread anymore. Anyone remember? or know where it is?

And dont give me any of that you're not suppose to use Auto Mode... I might not use it often but when I want to use it I want it to work... and if my mom wants to drive the car shes going to use auto mode...

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Never happened to mine. Since my software update, a few weeks ago- I think version 13.something, my auto mode seems to shift better.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:43 AM
fq1
Members

I am not sure if I have experienced what you have on my 3 SMG, but I have kind of trained myself to look at the gear selection display similar to looking at other displays in the dash. That's because I have occasionally found myself in the manual mode when I wanted to be in the auto.

Please also note that I have found with my SMG that at times if the car is stopped and I shift into neutral to shift into reverse and then decide against it and move the lever back towards D, it does not shift and remains in neutral. In order to actually get it into D again, I have to move it into reverse wait a couple of seconds and then move it back into D. It is a little bit quirky, but I have learned to live with it considering that it is mainly an electronic "linkage" and the amount of pleasure I derive out of it 99% of the time.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I use D mode quite often and have not experienced this issue.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Humm ok... I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for it.

But did anyone remember reading the other thread about this before? I want to read it again but cant locate it.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Contributors

Ok its definetly happenning... today it happened 3 times on the same stretch of road in auto mode it switches to manual mode itself and after driving it in manual mode for a little I switched back to auto mode it happened again out of no where it switches back to manual mode while I had it in Automatic mode and FOR SURE I did not touch the paddels or the shift lever to initiate the change.

Anyone else with SMG have this happen to them?
Old 01-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Nope...
Old 01-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Dec 29 2004, 09:49 AM
But did anyone remember reading the other thread about this before? I want to read it again but cant locate it.
[snapback]73450[/snapback]
FINALLY!! I found the thread... I went through each thread one by one... I KNEW someone else had this same problem!

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=4819

azwdct are you there please help!
Old 01-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Most have had some temporary problem, usually Ctrl-Alt-Delete clears it up. If it keeps happening its probably time for the dealer.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Jan 12 2005, 07:36 PM
Most have had some temporary problem, usually Ctrl-Alt-Delete clears it up. If it keeps happening its probably time for the dealer.
[snapback]78657[/snapback]
Umm not tempory... Happened the first day I picked up the car and still is happening...

I dont have NAV so i cant do the ALT+CTRL+DEL thing... but I shut down the car over night every night... soooooo that esentially is a reboot... everyday...

Quick Reply: SMG acting weird?