E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 05:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Space Gray and Black Dakota. Sports package with 19 style 172. First BMW and is AWESOME

this might be a stupid question.....what is SMG for a BMW?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:41 AM
Contributors

sequential manual gearbox.A sequential manual transmission (or sequential manual gearbox) is a type of manual transmission used on motorcycles and high-performance cars or auto racing, where gears are selected in order, and direct access to specific gears is not possible.

With traditional manual transmissions, the driver can move from any gear, to any gear, by moving the shifter to the appropriate position. This type of transmission is often referred to as a H-pattern because of the path that the shift lever takes as it selects the various gears. A clutch must be disengaged before the new gear is selected, to disengage the running engine from the transmission, thus stopping all torque transfer. In auto racing, this process is slow and prone to human error; hence the development of the sequential transmission. A true sequential transmission will very often use dog clutch engagement rather than the more usual syncromesh as fitted to a normal H-pattern road car gearbox. Engagement using dogs only requires a very brief interruption of engine torque to complete a shift into any adjacent gear. This allows shifting between gears without the use of the clutch. The clutch would normally be used only for standing starts.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Space Gray and Black Dakota. Sports package with 19 style 172. First BMW and is AWESOME

how do I know if my E60 has it?

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='794783' date='Feb 17 2009, 09:41 AM
sequential manual gearbox.A sequential manual transmission (or sequential manual gearbox) is a type of manual transmission used on motorcycles and high-performance cars or auto racing, where gears are selected in order, and direct access to specific gears is not possible.

With traditional manual transmissions, the driver can move from any gear, to any gear, by moving the shifter to the appropriate position. This type of transmission is often referred to as a H-pattern because of the path that the shift lever takes as it selects the various gears. A clutch must be disengaged before the new gear is selected, to disengage the running engine from the transmission, thus stopping all torque transfer. In auto racing, this process is slow and prone to human error; hence the development of the sequential transmission. A true sequential transmission will very often use dog clutch engagement rather than the more usual syncromesh as fitted to a normal H-pattern road car gearbox. Engagement using dogs only requires a very brief interruption of engine torque to complete a shift into any adjacent gear. This allows shifting between gears without the use of the clutch. The clutch would normally be used only for standing starts.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:02 AM
Contributors

do you have paddle shift on the steering wheel?
if not then no.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='794783' date='Feb 17 2009, 09:41 AM

This is sort of correct. The non-M's have a normal six speed transmission with an electro-hydraulic shift mechanism. Its not a true sequential like a motorcycles. Not really sure what the newer 7-speed M's have.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='794842' date='Feb 17 2009, 11:02 AM
do you have paddle shift on the steering wheel?
if not then no.
I have paddles on both my 545 SMG and my 535 Sport Auto, the sport auto is an automatic transmission with manual control and faster shift programs.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by paws' post='794795' date='Feb 17 2009, 10:00 AM
how do I know if my E60 has it?
It would say SMG on the stick shift knob, it would shift like shit in auto mode. There would be no "park" choice on the stick shift. It would roll back when sitting at a light.
And you would feel very cool driving it I would order it again if it was available on the non-M E60 or F10.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Contributors

i just said paddle shift because if his car does not have them...then its not an SMG (as all E60 SMG's have paddle shift)
Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='794968' date='Feb 17 2009, 01:04 PM
i just said paddle shift because if his car does not have them...then its not an SMG (as all E60 SMG's have paddle shift)
I hope they bring it back
Old 02-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Contributors

why? have they stopped production of them?

Quick Reply: SMG