E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Smelly Air from the Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey fellas,

My friend just bought 04 525i. he got some problem with the air conditioning. He said the air conditioning works well, but the air

is smelly. and it's especially when the first few minutes he turned it on. he asked me whether I know how to get rid of the smell.

Unfortunately, I have no idea about it . he also said that he's turned on the button for the inside air only and he has also

put a car perfume in his car. but it doesn't help much.

Anyone have any idea how to get rid of the smell? Thanx Guys..
Old 03-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

Is it a mold/mildew type of smell? If this is the case and its not the charcoal filters then you are up for something major here. The a/c evaporator gets humid and mold grows up there which creates that nusty smell. There a couple of ways to get rid of that smell. The fist is to reach the evaporator and clean it. Unfortunatelly is located on the firewall behind the engine and this means a couple of days worth of work at the dealer with cost of $1000 to $2000 minimum. The alternative is some mold "killing" chemicals that are applied on the evaporator through a long tube that can reach the evaporator. Then hot steam is applied through the vents to force tje chemical on the evaporator.

Good Luck
Old 03-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by whentmets' post='401588' date='Mar 11 2007, 06:01 PM
Is it a mold/mildew type of smell? If this is the case and its not the charcoal filters then you are up for something major here. The a/c evaporator gets humid and mold grows up there which creates that nusty smell. There a couple of ways to get rid of that smell. The fist is to reach the evaporator and clean it. Unfortunatelly is located on the firewall behind the engine and this means a couple of days worth of work at the dealer with cost of $1000 to $2000 minimum. The alternative is some mold "killing" chemicals that are applied on the evaporator through a long tube that can reach the evaporator. Then hot steam is applied through the vents to force tje chemical on the evaporator.

Good Luck
Thanx whentmets for the input. He told me that the smell is like Sweat from human body.

I know it's sounds weird..
Old 03-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Members

Before you get involved with anything major try changing the charcoal filters and leave the AC on auto and see if the smell goes away. Most perfume based sprays that goes into the vents do nothing other than hurting your wallet.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by whentmets' post='401593' date='Mar 11 2007, 06:08 PM
Before you get involved with anything major try changing the charcoal filters and leave the AC on auto and see if the smell goes away. Most perfume based sprays that goes into the vents do nothing other than hurting your wallet.
The smell will go away after about 5 minutes. but it will come back if he turned off the AC for a while and turn it back on

again. I will tell him to see the dealer and get the charcoal filters changed.. Thanks Though ..
Old 03-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

I used to have an old car that did that.....it was the Freon running low. That does not usually happen unless there is a leak somewhere. Check to see if the air is cold.
Maybe the last owner worked out a lot.....
Old 03-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by khooger' post='401602' date='Mar 11 2007, 06:26 PM
I used to have an old car that did that.....it was the Freon running low. That does not usually happen unless there is a leak somewhere. Check to see if the air is cold.
Maybe the last owner worked out a lot.....
I think there is nothing wrong w/ the temperature. I'll tell him that to make sure..

Anyway, "Maybe the last owner worked out a lot" ---> I would say so.. LOL..Hahahah..
Old 03-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Members

The R-34 (refrigerant) has an antifreeze like smell.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='401584' date='Mar 11 2007, 05:48 PM
Hey fellas,

My friend just bought 04 525i. he got some problem with the air conditioning. He said the air conditioning works well, but the air

is smelly. and it's especially when the first few minutes he turned it on. he asked me whether I know how to get rid of the smell.

Unfortunately, I have no idea about it . he also said that he's turned on the button for the inside air only and he has also

put a car perfume in his car. but it doesn't help much.

Anyone have any idea how to get rid of the smell? Thanx Guys..
i have the same car, same problem.

its going to the dealer for service tomorrow...i think ill bring it up. its borderline nauseating for the first minute or so.

the best way i could describe it, could be the same smell that a cigar eminates after it has been extinguished in an ashtray.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rockwell' post='401704' date='Mar 12 2007, 12:06 AM
i have the same car, same problem.

its going to the dealer for service tomorrow...i think ill bring it up. its borderline nauseating for the first minute or so.

the best way i could describe it, could be the same smell that a cigar eminates after it has been extinguished in an ashtray.
Thanx rockwell. Could u inform me about the dealer's response to this problem? That'd be great. I appreciate it..

Quick Reply: Smelly Air from the Air Conditioning