E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Small lump in front tire question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 modded the F out

So two days ago I noticed a lump on the sidewall of my passenger side front tire the size of a dime. Kinda worried about what the actual cause of the lump is. Gunna swap out pretty soon anyways to the 17's cuz Im going to be driving back to Ca in the near future. Can anybody shed some light one what may have caused the lumps?

Bends in the wheel perhaps? Over inflation? I literally haven't hit a pot hole ( that I know of ) or put air in the tires any time recently. My car isn't slammed but I cant really completely access the entire inner wall/ lip of the wheel w/o taking it off.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

its a bubble...it happens...need to replace the tire...i think it is from potholes/uneven roads
sorry to hear about it, it is a bitch
Old 04-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

Could be a defect in the tire or from hitting something hard enough you pinched the seal and broke it (which causes the bubble). Though I've seen the sidewall of a tire bubble to the size of like a golf ball on a defective tire before.

Either way, I'd get it replaced.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

Originally Posted by FRONJONI
its a bubble...it happens...need to replace the tire...i think it is from potholes/uneven roads
sorry to hear about it, it is a bitch

I don't know about "it happens" like it's something normal cause it's not. You get that bubble for a reason ie hitting/hopping a curb, hitting a pothole, pretty much hitting something with enough force you pinched the inner ring seal and broke it. If you get it for no reason, then i'd look into whether or not the tire is defective. But it's not something that happens all non chalantly.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Originally Posted by lilazngrl4o8
I don't know about "it happens" like it's something normal cause it's not. You get that bubble for a reason ie hitting/hopping a curb, hitting a pothole, pretty much hitting something with enough force you pinched the inner ring seal and broke it. If you get it for no reason, then i'd look into whether or not the tire is defective. But it's not something that happens all non chalantly.
I have hit a few pot holes that scared the crap outta me a while back, but It just decided to show up now. Damn. Ahh well. Gives me a reason to take the tire off and have it re-powdercoated. Thanks for the input
Old 04-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

Originally Posted by lilazngrl4o8
no it doesnt happen non chalantly but the odds of it happening if you're running a low-pro tire is higher than normal, so if you are running a low pro tire and have gone through a whole set or two of tires and havent had a bubble id say you are lucky, or live in a very nice paved city. in los angeles, with all the potholes you're bound to get a bubble sooner or later, sometimes theres no avoiding that darn pothole, and so it happens...i guess what i mean to say is, its not unheard of, and its a risk when running a low pro tire, just like bends in your wheel.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Sorry nothing really positive that I'm contributing but your choice of words for the tilte made me laugh. It sounds like your car as breast cancer, I've never heard anyone refer to a bubble in the tire as a "small lump".
Old 04-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

id get it replaced soon. if you hit another pothole hard enough in the same spot the tire could potentially give and you will have a flat. not pretty if your going 120 on the highway. or even at any speed. good luck.