E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sluggish Idrive upon startup

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='970049' date='Aug 9 2009, 06:24 AM
I have the same issue with the iDrive in my 2009. I bet that the new iDrive in the 2010 is not so slow on startup given the major upgrade.

If you put money on that bet you would win

2010 idrive is awesome.. I love how responsive it is even right after start up. Not only did my new 2010 535i has turbo engines, but turbo computer too!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by jherm' post='963388' date='Aug 2 2009, 11:45 PM
My i-drive usually acts very sluggish immediately after startup. Just very slow to react to commands. After a minute or so it will react normally. Is this normal or should it respond quickly to every command immediately after startup? I believe I had a software upgrade just a few weeks ago.
Mine is this way as well but I think it has to do with the iDrive syncing up with my BlackBerry's phone book. I think it loads all the information on the fly at startup. After the phone information is all there, things seem to run faster.....

Do you have a bluetooth phone with a large contact list that the car is syncing up with?
Old 08-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

Originally Posted by wolf' post='970320' date='Aug 9 2009, 11:19 PM
Mine is this way as well but I think it has to do with the iDrive syncing up with my BlackBerry's phone book. I think it loads all the information on the fly at startup. After the phone information is all there, things seem to run faster.....

Do you have a bluetooth phone with a large contact list that the car is syncing up with?
No, it has nothing to do with the pairing.
When the CCC is booting, it's turning on all computers one by one.
So, first would be the audio module, next GPS, next A/C, etc...
While this is happening, the iDrive is just pre-occupied with dealing with this stuff.

Compare it to an old single-core Windows XP computer that has lots of junk starting up right after a boot (like all the crappy ad-software, integrated "premium" software that some computer-companies provide, MSN, etc...).
The first couple of minutes, it takes forever to do anything. Starting up a browser takes a minute, but after all the sh*t has been loaded, starting a browser takes 10 seconds tops.

This is the exact same thing that's happening to an iDrive computer while booting. It's just loading the drivers and communicating with the different computers.
The iDrive doesn't exactly have a fast processor (it's in fact slower than most PDA's nowadays) and unfortunately: the more options you have, the longer it takes to boot.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

So, basically, this is a all to say that BMW "runs on" Microsoft?
Old 08-09-2009, 02:56 PM
e6t
Senior Members

my bmc filter made my idrive boot faster.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e6t' post='970382' date='Aug 9 2009, 06:56 PM
my bmc filter made my idrive boot faster.

Amazing.. I bet the sprint booster further decreases lag time on idrive boot up as well!
Old 08-09-2009, 03:39 PM
e6t
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Kzang' post='970411' date='Aug 9 2009, 06:36 PM
Amazing.. I bet the sprint booster further decreases lag time on idrive boot up as well!

actually, it makes the knob feel as though it spins faster.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='970370' date='Aug 9 2009, 06:40 PM
No, it has nothing to do with the pairing.
When the CCC is booting, it's turning on all computers one by one.
So, first would be the audio module, next GPS, next A/C, etc...
While this is happening, the iDrive is just pre-occupied with dealing with this stuff.

Compare it to an old single-core Windows XP computer that has lots of junk starting up right after a boot (like all the crappy ad-software, integrated "premium" software that some computer-companies provide, MSN, etc...).
The first couple of minutes, it takes forever to do anything. Starting up a browser takes a minute, but after all the sh*t has been loaded, starting a browser takes 10 seconds tops.

This is the exact same thing that's happening to an iDrive computer while booting. It's just loading the drivers and communicating with the different computers.
The iDrive doesn't exactly have a fast processor (it's in fact slower than most PDA's nowadays) and unfortunately: the more options you have, the longer it takes to boot.
I agree with your comments on how the system initializes but my instincts tell me that pairing a large contact list can be a contributing factor for iDrive initialization delays.
If the iDrive is initializing each system sequentially, and then it hits the phonebook and has to load up a few hundred contacts it adds cycles. In-line with what you are saying - loading up the contact list at the front-end, causes a longer wait, while once the list is in memory, it runs faster.

If the start-up is sequential and the system will not allow user input / system control while the phonebook is being synced (which may be the case for a poorly implemented system or OS that will not allow multi-tasking) then it will without question hang things.

I don't know the overhead associated with loading up a contact but I assume that with iDrive, a few hundred contacts will cause a noticeable delay compared to no phone at all or a small contact list. Further I think the way contacts are implemented on your mobile device adds to complexity. Specifically, I think that iDrive takes individual contacts on the blackberry and converts them into multiple contacts on iDrive (i.e. mobile phone, work phone, home phone.) I think this is the case but would have to double check for sure...

My two cents...
Old 08-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by wolf' post='970568' date='Aug 9 2009, 10:08 PM
I agree with your comments on how the system initializes but my instincts tell me that pairing a large contact list can be a contributing factor for iDrive initialization delays.
If the iDrive is initializing each system sequentially, and then it hits the phonebook and has to load up a few hundred contacts it adds cycles. In-line with what you are saying - loading up the contact list at the front-end, causes a longer wait, while once the list is in memory, it runs faster.

If the start-up is sequential and the system will not allow user input / system control while the phonebook is being synced (which may be the case for a poorly implemented system or OS that will not allow multi-tasking) then it will without question hang things.

I don't know the overhead associated with loading up a contact but I assume that with iDrive, a few hundred contacts will cause a noticeable delay compared to no phone at all or a small contact list. Further I think the way contacts are implemented on your mobile device adds to complexity. Specifically, I think that iDrive takes individual contacts on the blackberry and converts them into multiple contacts on iDrive (i.e. mobile phone, work phone, home phone.) I think this is the case but would have to double check for sure...

My two cents...
I definitely think that this sounds correct. I have a 330 person contact list and my idrive takes a bit to really be ready to handle my inputs (I'm gonna get a stopwatch on this to see exactly how long it is taking, but my guess is about 20 seconds.) I will also test it to see how long it takes when I don't bring in my phone.

You are correct that idrive converts multiple numbers under a single contact into multiple contacts. "Steve Mobile" will be a contact and "Steve Work" will be a contact.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

Originally Posted by wolf' post='970568' date='Aug 10 2009, 04:08 AM

My two cents...
Oh sure, a contact list adds to the waiting time, but it's still only 10% of the waiting time.
Splitting the contacts into multiple contacts is done by the phone, not by the car. This adds no noticable delay.

Quick Reply: Sluggish Idrive upon startup