E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Slow Speed Stutter

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 06:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i '01 IS300

Just got my car back from the service department for tire replacement. While I had my car in there, I asked them to look at the transmission slam and a weird studder at very slow speeds.

The stutter occurs consistantly when coming to a stop at less the 3 mph. It also apprears when creeping along at 2 mph just when the breaks stop grumbling. The stutter is not violent or anything of the sort, it's a gentle oscilation until coming to a complete stop or going over 3mph. My SA say he did not find any faults in the system and could not repeat it when they test drove it. This is possible if you brake to a complete stop without letting of the brake to ease that last jolt. When I brake, I let up on the brake at the last sec and sometimes I can't even tell the car has come to a completes stop. I can't do this without it stuttering. Then there is the brake grumbling.

Do you guys experience this? It's quite annoying to me.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I have not had the shuddering you describe in my 545i. But, I have had similar things in other cars. Sometimes cars will follow hard to see road ruts right before stopping depending on the tires. Try testing you car on a variety of roads, and see if it always does the same thing. My brakes have never grumbled.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by amadeus00' post='326238' date='Aug 24 2006, 09:39 AM
Just got my car back from the service department for tire replacement. While I had my car in there, I asked them to look at the transmission slam and a weird studder at very slow speeds.

The studder occurs consistantly when coming to a stop at less the 3 mph. It also apprears when creeping along at 2 mph just when the breaks stop grumbling. The studder is not violent or anything of the sort, it's a gentle oscilation until coming to a complete stop or going over 3mph. My SA say he did not find any faults in the system and could not repeat it when they test drove it. This is possible if you brake to a complete stop without letting of the brake to ease that last jolt. When I brake, I let up on the brake at the last sec and sometimes I can't even tell the car has come to a completes stop. I can't do this without it studdering. Then there is the brake grumbling.

I'm not sure about the "studdering," but the break "grump" is normal. You've got some powerful brake and rotor size to stop that thing, it will "grump" as long as it does not "vibrate." I think the 550i has the "comfort stop" feature. 550i users, want to comment?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Members

whoa! "comfort stop"? eh? Please do tell, you might get me jealous.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

do you use your parking brake?
Sometimes th parking brake shoe can cause this if you don't use it regularly
Old 08-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Orient Blue

Originally Posted by amadeus00' post='326238' date='Aug 24 2006, 10:39 AM

The studder occurs consistantly when coming to a stop at less the 3 mph. It also apprears when creeping along at 2 mph just when the breaks stop grumbling. The studder is not violent or anything of the sort, it's a gentle oscilation until coming to a complete stop or going over 3mph. My SA say he did not find any faults in the system and could not repeat it when they test drove it. This is possible if you brake to a complete stop without letting of the brake to ease that last jolt. When I brake, I let up on the brake at the last sec and sometimes I can't even tell the car has come to a completes stop. I can't do this without it studdering. Then there is the brake grumbling.

I know exactly what you're talking about. In addition to the transmission slam, I have the break stutter. It happens frequently and since I travel in bumper to bumper traffic most of the time, I notice it more often. I've only had the car for 3 weeks so I can't offer advice but I can commiserate.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by VTbound' post='326815' date='Aug 25 2006, 11:37 AM
do you use your parking brake?
Sometimes th parking brake shoe can cause this if you don't use it regularly
I never use my parking brake. I live in a city that is as flat as a pancake. I'll try the parking brake and see what happens.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I think you're suppose to clean the parking brake every so often... While depressing the release button pull it up gently at slow speeds and let it grind some of the junk away. Rust... brake dust... dirt etc etc. I doubt this will fix your problem or have anything to do with your problem but I just thought I'll add it in the hand brake comment.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by amadeus00' post='326238' date='Aug 24 2006, 10:39 AM

The stutter occurs consistantly when coming to a stop at less the 3 mph. It also apprears when creeping along at 2 mph just when the breaks stop grumbling. The stutter is not violent or anything of the sort, it's a gentle oscilation until coming to a complete stop or going over 3mph. My SA say he did not find any faults in the system and could not repeat it when they test drove it. This is possible if you brake to a complete stop without letting of the brake to ease that last jolt. When I brake, I let up on the brake at the last sec and sometimes I can't even tell the car has come to a completes stop. I can't do this without it stuttering. Then there is the brake grumbling.

I know exactly what you're talking about. This happens to me on many occasions. I have experienced it in a 745i that I had driven quite extensively. When I would come to a stop at a red light or the sort the car would feel as if it would be in a stop position ever so slightly dropping the rear end...or so it felt like....and then when I would press the gas it would sort of let up the back end a bit and get in to drive mode. There is a noticable distinction when your not pressing gas pedal or brake and moving along smoothly when this stutter happens. whilst slowing down and the stutter happens you feel almost motionless until you press the gas again and it lets up like I said before and you begin accelaration.

Maybe there is a parallel between the 745i tranny and the 545i. I havent noticed it on the 650i that i have also driven quite extensively.

Dont know exactly what happens but am curious if anyone aside from amadeus and myself have experience this
Old 09-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Members

Well, the parking brakes have nothing to do with it. I've been using it and "cleaning" it for the past week. I'm almost definate it is the transmission. This is most noticiable in D, DS and M1. While in M2 or M3, it isn't there. If I manually shift from M2 to M1 while coming to a dead stop, I happens again. It's quite annoying. I've been driving in M mode and not going down to M1.

In addition, I thought this could be a brake problem but it also studders when releasing the brakes completely and letting it idle to speed. It'll studder until it reaches 3mph. Again, only in D, DS or M1.

My guess is in first gear, the tourque converter is surging until you can't feel it anymore at 3mph. This doesn't mean it'a not happening past that speed, you just can't feel it. I am going to add this to my LONG list of what's wrong with my BMW.