E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sirius Sound Quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005 | 04:23 PM
Rob
Members

I'm wondering how those with Sirius like the sound quality.

I've never considered myself an audiophile, but when a channel first starts playing I think I notice a definite "compressed" tone to the music. After listening for a bit, I don't notice it so much any more.

I'm wondering if others think the sound sounds compressed. Is it possible that it sounds that way for a little while as the radio captures enough data to fully play? Am I just getting used to it after a few minutes?

This is advertised as "CD quality" and I want to make sure there's nothing wrong here.

(I know, I know, I'm being overly anal - I can't help it
Old 01-01-2005 | 07:23 PM

It sounds decent. But not excellent.

Buy it for the content, not the audio quality.
Old 01-01-2005 | 10:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Titanium Grey/Grey/SMG/Nav/sports pack/premium pack/sirius prep

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Jan 1 2005, 11:23 PM
It sounds decent.? But not excellent.

Buy it for the content, not the audio quality.
[snapback]74527[/snapback]
I agree, the content is much better than over-the-air radio.

Nick
Old 01-02-2005 | 09:02 AM
Members

Sirius rocks! Seriously! That's all I listen to now, depsite having the 6-Disc CD Changer as a part of the Premium Sound Package.

Audio quality is just fine and is better than FM. Close to but not equal to or better than CD quality.
Old 01-02-2005 | 09:32 AM
Man
Members

My Ride: 2005 525 Silver Gray/Black, Step, Premium, Cold, Xeon, 18" wheels

I too notice the compressed sound. Listen to Sirius and then switch to a CD. I also notice some channels sound better than others.

I do like the variety though.

I have the standard sound system, no logic 7.

I may be insane, but Logic 7 sounded weird to me. It sounded like the sub was in front of me. Cannot put my finger on it, but something was "off" with the logic 7. Other than a lck of bass, the standard sound system sounds pretty good to me.
Old 01-02-2005 | 07:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 545 steptronic, silver gray, black, logic-7,PDC, folding rear seats, power rear shade, cold pack, 50% huper optic, comfort seats, sirius radio.

Originally Posted by Man' date='Jan 2 2005, 01:32 PM
I too notice the compressed sound.? Listen to Sirius and then switch to a CD.? I also notice some channels sound better than others.

I do like the variety though.?

I have the standard sound system, no logic 7.

I may be insane, but Logic 7 sounded weird to me.? It sounded like the sub was in front of me.? Cannot put my finger on it, but something was "off" with the logic 7.? Other than a lck of bass, the standard sound system sounds pretty good to me.
[snapback]74682[/snapback]
Sirius sounds great with logic 7.
Old 01-02-2005 | 09:10 PM
Rob
Members

I have logic 7 too and wouldn't say it sounds "great." I would agree with the above post that says it sounds "decent."

I've read on othe Sirius forums that they are always working on sound quality through updating their codec. Apparently, these updates are automatically downloaded to the reciever. This is cool becuase it means that as they make it sound better we'll automatically get it.

-Rob
Old 01-03-2005 | 08:54 AM
Rob
Members

I was driving my son to school today and listening to Sirius. The music stopped for a moment and when it came back on, I could swear it sounded better. I started listening to other channels and I thought they sounded better to me, too.

Maybe just wishful thinking...
Old 01-03-2005 | 10:14 AM
Members

I've noticed that the sound quality changes, too. I have attributed it to Sirius allocating more bandwith to one channel or another, depending on overall usage. Just a guess, though!
Old 01-03-2005 | 10:20 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i Mystic Blue, European Delivery, Steptronic, Prem Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Nav, Heads Up, Active Cruise, Rear Sunshade, Rear Side Airbags, Rear Seat Heating, Park Distance Control, Xenon, CPT9000 GSM phone, red rear reflectors, Sirius!!!!

Originally Posted by Rob' date='Jan 3 2005, 11:54 AM
I was driving my son to school today and listening to Sirius. The music stopped for a moment and when it came back on, I could swear it sounded better. I started listening to other channels and I thought they sounded better to me, too.

Maybe just wishful thinking...
[snapback]75051[/snapback]
Rob, I noticed that you have a 2004 with NAV. How did you get Sirius to function? Do you have it built in or a separate receiver which isn't from BMW?

Quick Reply: Sirius Sound Quality