E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sirius retrofit help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54
Default Sirius retrofit help

Hoping someone can help out. I just got done installing and coding a Sirius module I picked up off of ebay. My '04 does (or did) have $693 Sirius prep option. Here's what I've done:

-installed module, connected both antenna and power/MOST connectors that were in the trunk to the module. I crossed referenced the part number six ways to sunday, so I have no doubt that I have a module that works for my car.

-rearranged MOST bus cables at the trunk mounted location per BMWs retrofit instructions (mine were arranged exactly like the illustrations)

-before I started with coding, I tested all of my prior audio functions to make sure I didn't have a break in the MOST loop (radio, in dash CD, CD changer), all audio sources worked as they always have so I then assumed I had all of the MOST connections correct

-changed the VO in both CAS and LMA modules; removed $693 and added $655

-coded CAPPL to "SDARS akitv"

-Logged on to my Sirius account (have it in another car), and added the E60s ESN to my account

-had activation signal sent to the car.

Here's where I'm stumped; When I have the car outside, on, and set to SAT on iDrive, I can select any channel I want and clearly see that yes, the module is pulling in data and sending it through the car (I can see song titles as the songs change, etc). I simply am getting no audio output ONLY when SAT is selected on iDrive. Everything else works as it always has.

Any ideas? I've been racking my brain trying to figure it out.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

n/m, fixed it this morning. apparently i did everything right the first time. sirius sprang to life this morning on the first startup.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Ah good to hear. I was gonna say I heard there is something that had to be connected under the drivers seat. Or at least on mine there was.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 E60 535i
Default XM Stations or Not?

I have a 2010 535xi with a working Satellite Radio that I installed, and activated in the coding/ programming. It only receives Sirius and NOT XM stations. The module was from E-Bay, fit exactly in place in the trunk but it was manufactured in 2004.
I went to the dealer for an air conditioning problem and they felt that the O2 sensors should be reprogrammed as they could not find anything wrong with the A/C system even though it would lower itself long before the car was cool. In any event, when they went to reprogram my car they called me to say that the Satellite radio was interfering with the programming and they would need to disable the unit I put in and then reprogram the car.
I asked them what would be the price for the exact unit for my car if I purchased the radio and had them program the car. Price was $1300.00 and I said OK ONLY if they could guarantee that the "New" receiver would get all of the XM stations as well as the Sirius. After 1 week of their 'investigating' the dealer called me to say that they have no idea if the "New" radio will receive Sirius and XM stations.
DOES ANYONE HACE SATELLITE RADIO IN A 2010 535xi THAT RECEIVES SIRIUS AND XM STATIONS? I need to know if channel 89 (MLB Radio) and channels 176 through 189 can be received. Thank you.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Members
Senior Members

SIRIUS = XM

They merged quite some time ago. Sirius basically acquired XM. If you have satellite radio in the car already, access your SIRIUS account online and upgrade to the top package they offer, you'll get every satellite channel there is including all of the sports channels.

One more thing; BA BA BOOEY BA BA BOOEY BA BA BOOEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by KyleB; 07-16-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:04 AM
New Members

My Ride: 08 535i 6MT Sport pkg, 02 996, 86 911

Originally Posted by vjgmd3388
I have a 2010 535xi with a working Satellite Radio that I installed, and activated in the coding/ programming. It only receives Sirius and NOT XM stations. The module was from E-Bay, fit exactly in place in the trunk but it was manufactured in 2004.
I went to the dealer for an air conditioning problem and they felt that the O2 sensors should be reprogrammed as they could not find anything wrong with the A/C system even though it would lower itself long before the car was cool. In any event, when they went to reprogram my car they called me to say that the Satellite radio was interfering with the programming and they would need to disable the unit I put in and then reprogram the car.
I asked them what would be the price for the exact unit for my car if I purchased the radio and had them program the car. Price was $1300.00 and I said OK ONLY if they could guarantee that the "New" receiver would get all of the XM stations as well as the Sirius. After 1 week of their 'investigating' the dealer called me to say that they have no idea if the "New" radio will receive Sirius and XM stations.
DOES ANYONE HACE SATELLITE RADIO IN A 2010 535xi THAT RECEIVES SIRIUS AND XM STATIONS? I need to know if channel 89 (MLB Radio) and channels 176 through 189 can be received. Thank you.
Get the radio ID of the newest unit that fits and call Sirius, they can tell you. Post back since I have the same issue.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:08 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 E60 535i
Default Radio ID

When I initially signed up for Sirius XM for the module I successfully installed Sirius was able to tell me that I would NOT be able to receive the XM Baseball stations on the receiver that I installed. They wanted to "Give Me" a Radio that would receive them all but I wanted the Satellite radio to be integrated in my I-Drive.
When I asked the dealer to obtain a Radio ID from BMW that would be the exact fir for my car, and then call Sirius with that number to ask them if it could receive all stations, the Dealer was apparently unable (or unwilling) to make that effort for me.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:25 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 530i
Default Sirius module for '04 E60

Kyle: What Sirius module did you buy? Where on ebay did you find it?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mguerreiro99
kyle: What sirius module did you buy? Where on ebay did you find it?

Thanks!
65 12 6 944 986
Old 01-08-2015, 11:48 AM
New Members

My Ride: 06 530xi manual

The BMW SDARS module is strictly a Sirius module. While some of the plans have overlapping channels, many do not. The broadcast technology is completely different between Sirius and XM still. Unless you go aftermarket into the Aux in, you will be stuck with the Sirius plans & service.

Also, about the earlier comment about having the wrong module for programming, I experienced that as well when I retrofitted an "older" Sirius module (it was for an 05 E64, and I have an 06 E60). When ISTA/P looked at the part numbers of the installed modules, it barfed at the sat tuner and refused to proceed programming ANY module until the Sirius module was replaced with a compatible part number.