E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Simple computer update 4 aux plug....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my buddy is a tech at the bmw dealer and dose the work on my car that I can't handle. He put in a aux plug but said I needed to get my software updated. Turns out my 2004 545 has pretty much never been updated and I guess once u start u can't stop. So now what shoud have maybe only taken a cople of hours is gonna take days to finish. He had the car for two day and was only able to program 6 of 30 sectors in the computer. He also says that the bmw software realy sucks. I needed my car for this weekend but my dash looks like a Christmas tree. Anyone else run into these types of issue with updates? Thanks guys and girls.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530 Steptronic, Nav, Std Audio w/ single CD, Premium Pkg, BMW Assist, non-working Bluetooth

Originally Posted by baje1' post='887483' date='May 23 2009, 09:16 AM
So my buddy is a tech at the bmw dealer and dose the work on my car that I can't handle. He put in a aux plug but said I needed to get my software updated. Turns out my 2004 545 has pretty much never been updated and I guess once u start u can't stop. So now what shoud have maybe only taken a cople of hours is gonna take days to finish. He had the car for two day and was only able to program 6 of 30 sectors in the computer. He also says that the bmw software realy sucks. I needed my car for this weekend but my dash looks like a Christmas tree. Anyone else run into these types of issue with updates? Thanks guys and girls.
One of the updates on my 2004 530 took a couple days because the BMW computer kept crashing, according to my SA. The one for the AUX plug in wasn't that bad, but maybe the earlier one was a more major update??
Old 05-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by baje1' post='887483' date='May 23 2009, 07:16 AM
When I had my mp3 enabled, they had to keep my car overnight as it was still hooked to the computer for updates at the end of the day. If you have not had the updates for a while (a long while..) it is common to take this long, as now it has to update every module (the whole car) and you can not just update one component anymore.

But think of the bright side, you will have a updated car with the very latest software.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jagbagri' post='887521' date='May 23 2009, 11:08 AM
When I had my mp3 enabled, they had to keep my car overnight as it was still hooked to the computer for updates at the end of the day. If you have not had the updates for a while (a long while..) it is common to take this long, as now it has to update every module (the whole car) and you can not just update one component anymore.

But think of the bright side, you will have a updated car with the very latest software.
that's what he was sayin...that all of the systems had to be updated just to do the one for the aux. Makes no sense that you have to go through all that but oh well. Like you said I'll have the latest and greatest.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by baje1' post='887483' date='May 23 2009, 07:16 AM
Yep. When I had my aux input programmed the rest of the modules needed to be updated too. Took 10 hours total. I knew it was going to take some time after searching this forum and reading that lots of people had very long software update times.

The lead tech at Rasmussen BMW in Portland told me that when they start an update that not all of the modules will take the update correctly and some times have to be replaced as the update goes on.

Although the tech's don't like the "new" update method compared to the older one, because it takes longer, the process is still pretty cool. They use CAN-BUS and the MOST bus for programming.