E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SICK of Low Beam's

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by gurp99
Okay that sounds a little complicated. DAMN-IT!
Actually its really not. Its a matter of finding the right sized resistor, taking out the bulb and putting each end of the resistor end in each bulb hole. See the picture below, this is what I have for my LED bulbs on my license plate, one wire to positive and 1 wire to the negative, pretty simple once you understand the concept. Honestly the hard parts are finding the right sized resistor (which I sure someone here could help you calculate) and deciding how clean you want to make you splice.

You can buy the resistors at any radio shack.

Or you could always drive over here to the US and have the dealer do it on this side of the border!!
Attached Thumbnails SICK of Low Beam's-prs1c-2160201w345.jpg  
Old 04-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Members

Why dont you speak to the dealer in Williamsville, NY and first ask him. Do not tell him that you are from Canada.
If he agrees to be able to do it for 75-90 bucks or so, just make an appointment and take the chance. I would bet that he would not remember the Canadian laws, etc.
Try to finish the paperwork and payment as soon as the car goes in to the workshop bay and simply wait for it to be completed.
All the best! I suggest doing it through software is surely a better bet than doing it through resistors.
Keep us posted!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW e60
Model Year: 2006

I can not seem to load that site. I am looking for Lowbeam/high beam (5 Series_E60/E61 with Xenons lights as of 2005_09 up to 2007_03)

Originally Posted by 5FOUR5
Start here for wiring diagram http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...0e61/index.htm to determine drl circuit. If you still feel confident enough to proceen with the process, you will need an amp meter to measure the voltage / resistance to determine which resistors to be used. Sodering tool would be best to place resistor inline within drl circuit. Not hard to do but requires an undestanding of electronics / electricity fundamentals, patience, and a meticulous attention to detail. Would advise you to do your research before undergoing such a project, as improper techniques could result in irreversable damage to lighting modules.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

I can not seem to load that site. I am looking for Lowbeam/high beam (5 Series_E60/E61 with Xenons lights as of 2005_09 up to 2007_03)
Sorry, I have to correct you. It's called 'daytime running lamps'

Your car is equipped with the LM2 AHL2 light module. The LM2 supports the PWM DRL.

You've got three options: Get the LM2 coded so that the DRL are disabled, replace the light module (LM2 AHL2) with the US version of the Light Module (LM) that does not support DRL, or do as it was said by IceyTys and remove the bulb and replace it with a resistor.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by krisaowa
Why dont you speak to the dealer in Williamsville, NY and first ask him. Do not tell him that you are from Canada.
If he agrees to be able to do it for 75-90 bucks or so, just make an appointment and take the chance. I would bet that he would not remember the Canadian laws, etc.
Try to finish the paperwork and payment as soon as the car goes in to the workshop bay and simply wait for it to be completed.
All the best! I suggest doing it through software is surely a better bet than doing it through resistors.
Keep us posted!

Save yourself the drive to ny find a local indy that has a gt1 w/ update 2.1 or higher. They may charge 1 hour labor, but the process takes 4 mins max. If you are still interested in taking the resistor route, you will need to declare your vehicles build date along with xenon, or halogen to proceed to the next step.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Yank the bulb out and wire in a resistor 10W 10ohms. It works for ALL years. Trust me. I would wire a capacitor instead sinmce it may get very hot. a 470uF should do the job. If you wire the resistor, make sure the ressitor rest OUTSIDE the headlight housing.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Wait.....Cant u paint the bulb with chrome paint or black paint. THICK THICK coat and it wouldn't even show!!!! Right???
Old 04-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Members

What is gt1 w/ update 2.1.... please explain so I know what to say to a mechanic

Originally Posted by 5FOUR5
Save yourself the drive to ny find a local indy that has a gt1 w/ update 2.1 or higher. They may charge 1 hour labor, but the process takes 4 mins max. If you are still interested in taking the resistor route, you will need to declare your vehicles build date along with xenon, or halogen to proceed to the next step.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:02 AM
Members

Is that true? If I just painted the bulb black! Wouldnt the heat from the bulb burn the paint or even catch on fire?

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
Wait.....Cant u paint the bulb with chrome paint or black paint. THICK THICK coat and it wouldn't even show!!!! Right???
Old 04-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Senior Members

What is gt1 w/ update 2.1.... please explain so I know what to say to a mechanic
call around any specialized bmw indy would have a GT1 aka " bmw group tester 1 " as it is an OEM level diagnostic tool that would be capable of disabling your drl.Any unit with update 2.1 or higher would be capable of this function.

Quick Reply: SICK of Low Beam's