E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SICK of Low Beam's

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW e60
Model Year: 2006

Hey guys, I live in canada, so by law, every car has to has low beam lights on (so Stupid). Well I just installed the angel eye bulbs (brabusw209amg thanks!) but i hate it how the low beams have to be on all the time. I called mechanics and they told me I have to buy a module, blah blah blah.... asking over $400 to disable them! What other cheaper options do I have, I tried just taking out the bulbs, then the warning light comes on everytime the car starts. Can I burn out the low beam bulbs somehow so they dont work with my car not giving me that warning light?

HELP! thanks guys
Old 04-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Bring it to the dealership and have them deactivate the DRL. Daytime running lights.

I got it done for $75 at a BMW dealership. Got a discount. They'll usually charge for an hour of labor.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Members

They will not do it in Canada. It is illegal, and one dealership said they cant do it that easily. Any other suggestions
Old 04-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Contributors

You can change the bulbs to a hyper white bulb or yellow.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Members

I have changed the bulbs to 12000k purple, and I have a set of ultra whites but i still dont like how they look with the low beams on. What happens if i install a burnt out/broken bulb?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by gurp99
Hey guys, I live in canada, so by law, every car has to has low beam lights on (so Stupid). Well I just installed the angel eye bulbs (brabusw209amg thanks!) but i hate it how the low beams have to be on all the time. I called mechanics and they told me I have to buy a module, blah blah blah.... asking over $400 to disable them! What other cheaper options do I have, I tried just taking out the bulbs, then the warning light comes on everytime the car starts. Can I burn out the low beam bulbs somehow so they dont work with my car not giving me that warning light?

HELP! thanks guys

If you really wanted to take the bulbs out and not get the iDrive warning you could just take the bulb out and wire a resistor across the wires. Similar to what we do when we install the LED bulbs for license plates, except w/o the bulb. If you just burn the bulbs out, you'll get the same result as taking the bulbs out, the dreaded error code.

Boom, problem solved!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Members

Okay you are giving me some hope here. But I am not a technical person and not with with wire/resistors. I would probably need more details on how to wire a resistor across the wires, and which wires?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gurp99
Okay you are giving me some hope here. But I am not a technical person and not with with wire/resistors. I would probably need more details on how to wire a resistor across the wires, and which wires?
Start here for wiring diagram http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...0e61/index.htm to determine drl circuit. If you still feel confident enough to proceen with the process, you will need an amp meter to measure the voltage / resistance to determine which resistors to be used. Sodering tool would be best to place resistor inline within drl circuit. Not hard to do but requires an undestanding of electronics / electricity fundamentals, patience, and a meticulous attention to detail. Would advise you to do your research before undergoing such a project, as improper techniques could result in irreversable damage to lighting modules.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Members

Okay that sounds a little complicated. DAMN-IT!
Old 04-14-2010, 04:16 PM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

I specifically asked for DRL (on) when I bought the car. Safety first!

Quick Reply: SICK of Low Beam's