E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Should I wait for September?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='302991' date='Jun 25 2006, 05:08 PM
Just check out my sign - it no bull, and we do know about snow and cold winters.

Can you drive, how is the plowing overthere there, how much you you drive in the winter
and in what conditions generally?

A E60 with good winter tyres takes you alsmost any where - a x-E60 with a not experienced
driver will for sure find a ditch.
That's because you'll feel too safe...
I'm a fairly decent driver, but have not tested my limits on previous vehicles. I will be driving 30km/18mi each way on highway everday to commute to work. But, I do have the opportunity to take the commuter train (2 minutes from my home) on winter days that are challenging. Generally, it snows heavily 5 to 10 times in the winter. There are icy days. But most days are just very cold, flurries and generally blahhh...
Old 06-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ats77' post='302982' date='Jun 25 2006, 03:56 PM
I wud also but bear in mind that BMW usually raise the price like 5-7% each Sept, plz correct me if I am wrong. That is why I did not wait in 2005 for the new mag. engine.

Ok I did read memo from BMW to dealers notifying them of an increase in the price of e90s. Will all their vehicles have price increases? If that's the case then I will definitely order prior to that.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by B2Blain' post='303170' date='Jun 26 2006, 07:51 AM
Ok I did read memo from BMW to dealers notifying them of an increase in the price of e90s. Will all their vehicles have price increases? If that's the case then I will definitely order prior to that.
Good, because you know BMW... they treat these at horizontal level. May be there is a bit different,may be. ( But they also like money).
Old 06-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

afaik, they are not increasing the prices every year.

I am not even certain that Dingolfing still has factory holidays as they used to be, but as ricracing also confirmed, they still take the August (probably not the whole of it) to sweep out and reset lines, if necessary for facelift model production etc.

On the issue of 530i with more goodies or 530xi, well I have taken my 535d through the snow on winter tyres and driven sensibly, had not a problem, but sensibly in snow also does mean no real fun.

From what you describe, the xi does not sound like a must to me. Proper winter tyres and a set of chains in the car for emergencies in the winter do the trick.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

I was in the same quandry. I ended up buying the 530i with a few more options and still less price. I found there were very very few days here in Jersey last year that I could not drive. One day out is all that I remember and that was more to avoid every other a-hole that thought they could drive 100 mph if they have four wheel drive.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by linus' post='303010' date='Jun 25 2006, 05:42 PM
I'm a fairly decent driver, but have not tested my limits on previous vehicles. I will be driving 30km/18mi each way on highway everday to commute to work. But, I do have the opportunity to take the commuter train (2 minutes from my home) on winter days that are challenging. Generally, it snows heavily 5 to 10 times in the winter. There are icy days. But most days are just very cold, flurries and generally blahhh...
I live in Toronto Canada too. If you decide to order yours make sure you specify to the dealer that you want the latest and greatest. I had a bad experience with my dealer and hence they had to re-order the 2007 model for me. The long wait is just killing me.

I went through similar considerations on whether or not I should be getting a 530i or xi. In the end, I picked the xi because I have 2 kids, and I feel safer to drive a 4wd car in Toronto's winter. Furthermore, it really is not necessary to change those tires for winter since all-season tires work well on xi (the dealer told me). Anyways, the car does look better with the sports package. But those run-flats are horrible in winter, so it defeats the purpose of not having to change tires in winter.

If you feel that a sporty car is important, and don't mind changing tires in winter, pick the 530i with active steering and dynamic drive and sport package.

Otherwise, pick the 530xi.

I will be picking mine up (finally) in about 8 hours. Will let you know how I feel after.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Do you have any interest in the 535i?

Since the 335i Coupe is a September 2006 car, I personally believe there's a real chance that the NA markets (along with the rest of the world) could possibly see the 3L turbo petrol as a choice come Sept in cars besides the 3 Coupe.

I have had AWD cars - the main issue is generally ground clearance when you get more than 4 inches of snow - not grip. Unless they do a great job of clearing the snow where you live, a car like this isn't good period. The deep stuff will always get you.

AWD helps over front or rear drive on moderate to steep hills in just a few inches of snow. So if you get a lot of small dustings that you'll need to drive in, maybe the AWD is a good choice. Sane tires for winter are key too - the wide sport tires are going to be like skis.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='303910' date='Jun 27 2006, 11:12 AM
Do you have any interest in the 535i?

Since the 335i Coupe is a September 2006 car, I personally believe there's a real chance that the NA markets (along with the rest of the world) could possibly see the 3L turbo petrol as a choice come Sept in cars besides the 3 Coupe.
I have had AWD cars - the main issue is generally ground clearance when you get more than 4 inches of snow - not grip. Unless they do a great job of clearing the snow where you live, a car like this isn't good period. The deep stuff will always get you.

AWD helps over front or rear drive on moderate to steep hills in just a few inches of snow. So if you get a lot of small dustings that you'll need to drive in, maybe the AWD is a good choice. Sane tires for winter are key too - the wide sport tires are going to be like skis.
Any sense as to whether BMW may offer a 535xi in addition to a 535i ?
Old 06-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by linus' post='303917' date='Jun 27 2006, 11:27 AM
Any sense as to whether BMW may offer a 535xi in addition to a 535i ?
Absolutely no clue. Sorry.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by arthurk' post='303877' date='Jun 27 2006, 09:47 AM
I live in Toronto Canada too. If you decide to order yours make sure you specify to the dealer that you want the latest and greatest. I had a bad experience with my dealer and hence they had to re-order the 2007 model for me. The long wait is just killing me.

I went through similar considerations on whether or not I should be getting a 530i or xi. In the end, I picked the xi because I have 2 kids, and I feel safer to drive a 4wd car in Toronto's winter. Furthermore, it really is not necessary to change those tires for winter since all-season tires work well on xi (the dealer told me). Anyways, the car does look better with the sports package. But those run-flats are horrible in winter, so it defeats the purpose of not having to change tires in winter.

If you feel that a sporty car is important, and don't mind changing tires in winter, pick the 530i with active steering and dynamic drive and sport package.

Otherwise, pick the 530xi.

I will be picking mine up (finally) in about 8 hours. Will let you know how I feel after.
I hope all went well with your new vehicle. I'd be very interesting in hearing your experience. BTW, what dealership did you order through?

Personally, I'm leaning toward the xi - same situation - two young children, but I will definitely use snows. They really help stop/slow the vehicle down in winter weather, whereas xdrive will help maintain overall stability and traction in acceleration/constant speed. A friend of mine has the X3 and speaks extremely highly of xdrive - but has had poor experience in deceleration without snows. Food for thought...

Quick Reply: Should I wait for September?