E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Should I upgrade my software?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 06:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having my car serviced for the passenger seat mat sensor airbag issue (See Link). In addition to having the seat mat sensor replaced, the service technician wants to upgrade my software from 11.2 to 12.12.

Has anyone experienced any negative impacts from upgrading from version 11 to 12.12?

I've searched the boards and found some of the benefits of the upgrade, but wasn't sure if there were any detriments either? Should I just wait for my dealership to get version 12.2?

Thanks in advance for all of your input!

I can't tell you how valuable this board has been! Its amazing how much info you can find on this board that BMW salesman and service technicians don't even know!!!!
Old 08-13-2004, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

Originally Posted by Sifford' date='Aug 13 2004, 08:46 AM
I can't tell you how valuable this board has been! Its amazing how much info you can find on this board that BMW salesman and service technicians don't even know!!!!
You are right about that... this board is invaluable...

On your topic... I also have not upgraded my firmware to 12.x yet... but then again I don't have a current issue with my auto. I'm personally going to wait until the MP3 fix comes out to go in for update.

If you are seeing issues however... then update may be worth while, especially on a safety issue like you are seeing.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I agree, unless you are having some issue, why risk it. Do a search, because I seem to recall some folks who got the upgrade, which did fix things like the in-dash CD player reverting to track 1, but I seem to recall it deleting other functions like the RDS on the radio.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

It looks like the 12.1.2 implementation has been much less successful in the US than in the UK (and Europe?).

Issues such as the RDS going AWOL seem like a real pain.

The bugs fixed in the UK have far outweighed the new very minor niggles it has introduced (imo).
Old 08-13-2004, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Aug 13 2004, 11:28 AM
It looks like the 12.1.2 implementation has been much less successful in the US than in the UK (and Europe?).

Issues such as the RDS going AWOL seem like a real pain.

The bugs fixed in the UK have far outweighed the new very minor niggles it has introduced (imo).
My take on the RDS issue is that it was already broken in versions earlier than 12.x and since it couldn't be fixed, they disabled it to avoid complaints and confusion.

Since RDS sucked before, I'm actually glad it's gone now. If they can eventually get it working well, then great, I'll be happy to have it.

I wouldn't let the RDS issue cause me to not get the upgrade or cause me to lose any sleep at night!
Old 08-13-2004, 07:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

My RDS works just fine, but I do seem to be in the minority. My main point was that unless there was a particular problem that the upgrade would fix, I saw no need to do in that version 12 was not without bugs itself.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:11 AM
Members

If RDS going away is the only major issue...then its no biggie to me since I never had it working in the first place (RDS does not work on E60s with the Navigation option). Unless I'm able to find any other major issues, I'll go ahead and have them make the upgrade...especially if it will address the passenger seat mat sensor issue (which the service technicians aren't sure if its related to software or not).
Old 08-13-2004, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I'm not having major bugs, so I wait until MP3 and movie watching on nav drive will be able...
Never touch a running system...
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

An american friend ones told me:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 08-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Senior Members

For me, 11.x had more than enough CD player issues to make the upgrade worthwhile.

Also fixed my TMC.

Quick Reply: Should I upgrade my software?