5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Should I tow car to the dealer ? (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/should-i-tow-car-dealer-107604/)

poise_001 12-08-2010 01:58 PM

Hi Everyone, long time lurker and first time posting; all help will be appreciated.

I am about 15KM shy of my warranty expiration and, incidentally, I have an appointment scheduled with a BMW dealer on Friday for a warranty headlight replacement - headlight has condensation in it for 4 weeks now.

Now the problem is, the dealer is about 17 KM away, so I'll be arriving there with the car out of warranty by just 2-3 KM...... Even though, I have been to the dealership and had them take pictures of the faulty headlight, obviously before the appointment date and when the car is still under warranty - they even ordered the part - the service manager is sayiing that if i get there on Friday with the warranty expired, then he would have to invoke the BMW Goodwill Gesture whereby BMW will take care of the cost of the parts but I would be responsible for the labour costs.... Does this sound right ?

AchtungE60 12-08-2010 04:48 PM

Call them and tell them the current mileage on your car and tell them by driving to their shop you'll be over your 50K mileage. They should be cool with that. But yes he may have to invoke BMW. However it shouldn't be an issue. If they don't agree, then yes, tow it. Cheaper for u. If you have AAA they'll tow up to 100mi free...at least here in U.S. FL.

healthservices 12-08-2010 04:59 PM

Tow it, better to be safe than sorry.

poise_001 12-10-2010 05:21 AM

Thanks healthservices and AchtungE60 for your response.

You know, I thought about it some more and decided I didn't want to go through the hassle of having it towed, so i took my chances.

Indeed when I pulled up at the service park, the odometer reading was 80,001KM - exactly 1 KM past the warranty - but it generated no issues because the SA told me the odometer reading from the keyfob was 79000 KM which was surprising... It would seem the odometer reading stored in the keyfob might be done in 1000 KM increment; don't know, but am very glad to have this $1800 - $2000 work covered under warranty :twoup:

JayArras 12-10-2010 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by poise_001 (Post 1280812)
You know, I thought about it some more and decided I didn't want to go through the hassle of having it towed, so i took my chances.

Indeed when I pulled up at the service park, the odometer reading was 80,001KM - exactly 1 KM past the warranty - but it generated no issues because the SA told me the odometer reading from the keyfob was 79000 KM which was surprising... It would seem the odometer reading stored in the keyfob might be done in 1000 KM increment; don't know, but am very glad to have this $1800 - $2000 work covered under warranty :twoup:

Yay for you! :dance: Sometimes, things DO work out for the best. Not often, it seems, but sometimes. You probably had that one coming. :smile:

Presley348 12-10-2010 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by AchtungE60 (Post 1280151)
Call them and tell them the current mileage on your car and tell them by driving to their shop you'll be over your 50K mileage. They should be cool with that. But yes he may have to invoke BMW. However it shouldn't be an issue. If they don't agree, then yes, tow it. Cheaper for u. If you have AAA they'll tow up to 100mi free...at least here in U.S. FL.

_____

I live in Metro Atlanta Georgia area, and AAA is my Roadside service and they are Excellant for $66.00 a year for 90 tow in radius I used them on my FATHERS broken down Jaguar s type and they go driver name and AAA number and NOT VIN number and make of vehicle, and I called AAA and they were quick and I requested a flat bed wrecker and got it for NO any additional cost.

Hope this helps!!

Eddie aka Presley348

poise_001 12-11-2010 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by jayarras (Post 1280820)
Yay for you! :dance: Sometimes, things DO work out for the best. Not often, it seems, but sometimes. You probably had that one coming. :smile:

Thanks.. It sure did work out well this time :)

poise_001 12-11-2010 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Presley348 (Post 1281065)
_____

I live in Metro Atlanta Georgia area, and AAA is my Roadside service and they are Excellant for $66.00 a year for 90 tow in radius I used them on my FATHERS broken down Jaguar s type and they go driver name and AAA number and NOT VIN number and make of vehicle, and I called AAA and they were quick and I requested a flat bed wrecker and got it for NO any additional cost.

Hope this helps!!

Eddie aka Presley348

I did seriously consider the option of towing it, but, like I said above, I drove it there instead, and the work is being done under warranty. Thanks.

lopealle 12-11-2010 01:16 PM

Sweet everything worked out