E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Should I sell my e60 and buy a e39 M5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

Last December I picked up my 2007 525i CPO and since then have done just about every exterior mod/wheels/mtech/exhaust.
I love my car, but obviously it lacks power.

I came across an e39 M5 2003 in a nice color combo with low mileage in very good condition.

I dont know if I should trade my E60 for the E39.

In many ways its an upgrade...power, style (I prefer the looks of the e39, it makes me feel like I'm in Ronin lol), options (nav/heated seats/folding mirrors)...all of which are absent on my E60.

However, I also see the downgrades to it as well. Its much older, will soon be outdated with the release of the f10 M5, higher maintenance costs, more gas, no warranty, etc.

I need some opinions, financially, my payments will be around what they are now, I might have to dish out a couple grand to cover tax and loss on value vs. trade price, which is no biggie.

What do you guys think? What would you do? Sacrifice newer body style and modern gadgetry for more power and classic style?
Old 10-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

Oh where do I begin, a 525i vs an ///M5. No question about it, do the trade ASAP. I came from an 07 550i and now I have an 03 ///M5 and could not be any happier with the car, not that I wasn't happy with the 550i or anything.

Firstly, have you test driven an E39 ///M5 yet? If not, you need to do that now. The amount of low end torque is addictive and it's performance is definitely hands down better than the 525i. The con points that you mentioned are important and I also had to take that into heavy consideration, especially since it's my daily driver. Do your research on the car and find one that has been taken care of really well with a good trail of history behind it. I lucked out with mine and I haven't had any issues with the car. All the maintenance money went into mods instead, but I do keep an eye on the car's overall health.

If you're the type of person who likes to work on your own car then go for it. I love working on my car (while saving a load of money) and have done the fluid changes myself, replaced the shifter with an E60 shifter, spark plugs and nearly all my mods I've done myself as well, plus it's fun and a great learning experience.

Don't worry about the F10, the E39 ///M5 is an instant classic and will always get my attention, plus these cars have a nicer interior smell to them.

Look up my picture thread in the E39 section, those pics should help sway your decision

Here is one of the best places for resources: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...z8-discussion/
Old 10-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

i've heard some bimmer enthusiasts say that the e39 m5 was the most complete vehicle ever built. that may be true, especially if you like everything it has to offer like body style (sedan), engine, power, etc.

IMO though, an alternative opinion is that i bought a bmw sedan for a nice looking, relatively quick vehicle that people recognize--i did not buy it for speed. i realize that the e60's can be quick, and especially the m5's can be fast, but if speed is really your primary objective, there are a lot more reasonably priced options with more speed and more head-turning ability. i consider myself a car enthusiast, and i don't look twice if an e39 m5 passes me by. a 2001 viper, on the other hand, will catch my peripheral every time. quite frankly i don't even have an eye for an e60 m5. also they are amazingly popular in Dallas where i live, so seeing an m5 is about as common as seeing any E60 that isn't a 525i (no offense). m5's are sedan's with super car speed, but they don't exactly sport the look of a super car. people may argue with me, but an m5 is not a sport's car and it never will be.

so, if it's sport you are looking for, i would just consider elsewhere. if it's the luxury of a bmw you are looking for, i would stick with the newer, longer-lasting (because it's newer) e60. i am not knocking anyone with an m5. if i could afford one and didn't mind the mileage i am sure i would purchase one as well, but that is also because my primary objective with the bmw was comfort and luxury over sport and agility. had my priority been the latter, i think there are better and cheaper solutions.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i've heard some bimmer enthusiasts say that the e39 m5 was the most complete vehicle ever built. that may be true, especially if you like everything it has to offer like body style (sedan), engine, power, etc.

IMO though, an alternative opinion is that i bought a bmw sedan for a nice looking, relatively quick vehicle that people recognize--i did not buy it for speed. i realize that the e60's can be quick, and especially the m5's can be fast, but if speed is really your primary objective, there are a lot more reasonably priced options with more speed and more head-turning ability. i consider myself a car enthusiast, and i don't look twice if an e39 m5 passes me by. a 2001 viper, on the other hand, will catch my peripheral every time. quite frankly i don't even have an eye for an e60 m5. also they are amazingly popular in Dallas where i live, so seeing an m5 is about as common as seeing any E60 that isn't a 525i (no offense). m5's are sedan's with super car speed, but they don't exactly sport the look of a super car. people may argue with me, but an m5 is not a sport's car and it never will be.

so, if it's sport you are looking for, i would just consider elsewhere. if it's the luxury of a bmw you are looking for, i would stick with the newer, longer-lasting (because it's newer) e60. i am not knocking anyone with an m5. if i could afford one and didn't mind the mileage i am sure i would purchase one as well, but that is also because my primary objective with the bmw was comfort and luxury over sport and agility. had my priority been the latter, i think there are better and cheaper solutions.

M5's are not sports cars? i think your mistaken. Drive one and see. By the way a 01 viper has no chance to an M5 lol
Old 10-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by tuffluck

You are exactly right, that is why I LOVE the M5. It gives you supercar performance without being gawdy or flashy. The Viper gets more attention, but remember, it's a Chrysler and therefore a piece of shit. The M5 is a true wolf is sheep's clothing. It looks like a regular sedan, but go ahead try to test one 0-60? Nope. Around twisties? Nope. The M5 is essentially the ultimate sleeper.

Go get that M5
Old 10-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bronze545i
M5's are not sports cars? i think your mistaken. Drive one and see. By the way a 01 viper has no chance to an M5 lol
no of course it isn't a sport's car. a sport's car is defined typically as having 2 doors, not 4, or at least only 2 realistic seats for passengers. an m5 is a sport's sedan though, sure.

i'm just saying viper looks fast, m5 does not. also newer vipers are the shit. get a late corvette z06 and the m5 stands no chance and significantly cheaper. if you're going for sport, there are better options. if you like a frickin fast sedan and the luxury of a sedan, the m5 is obviously a good choice. also you'd be shocked to see the increased value of a z06's mpg compared to an m5.

btw, who cares if it's a chrysler and a POS, are you going to own the car until it's dead? american cars are generally successful for at least 75k. buy one with 30k and sell it in 5 years when it reaches 75k. that's probably the same you'll do for any other car you purchase anyway.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

might be able to find a good price on a used e90/2 right now....a lot of lease returns around now I would think for that model.....
Old 10-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

No.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Members

If i had a 525i, i wouldn't even think for a second. E39 M5 is more enjoyable car and you would love it.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 E60 530i

I've driven the E39 M5. It's a super nice car and very fun to drive. Somehow it felt smaller than my E60 when driven, which is a good thing because it felt more agile. But the E39 M5 is notorious for its reliability. It's the only thing holding me back from getting one a few years back. It's one of the nicest cars I've ever driven. Lots of power, 4 proper doors, good interior space, plenty of trunk space, and of course the looks! If you're ready to deal with the reliability issues, the E39 M5 is the car you gotta have! That is if you can find one in good condition (the power of this car makes even a rookie driver wanna drive it fast and abuse it). I read a nice article in "Bimmer" magazine about buying a used E39 M5. Maybe you can find the article online. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Should I sell my e60 and buy a e39 M5?