E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Should I Sell My 545i?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought my 545i, drove the thing for a few months. Everthing was great. I have owned BMW's in the past so was familiar with what it was like owning one (costs, maintenance etc). The last one i owned was a 2001 330ci Sport Coupe. I covered 12k on that in a year and the car never missed a beat. With my 545i its another story though. First i had the engine oil level sensor malfunction come on and i thought fair enough get it diagnosed and changed. Did that, did not solve the problem.

Second i had the PDC failure soon after with the rear off side sensor being bad. Fixed and done pretty cheap. In the past few 100 miles though, more serious problems seem to have occured. The 545i engine is sounding very slowly day by day like it has that problem the other guy on here had (piston slap). Also the transmission which is auto is not smooth at all. My 330ci which was older and had more mileage than this car was way smoother. The 545i judders to a stop and hesitates to get off the line. Ive tried the tranny reset, not sure whether it has worked though.

Suspension was excellent when i bought the thing but now is pretty harsh within a few 100 miles. It just seems like im getting a bad vibe from this car. Car has been serviced at BMW since new and has all paperwork with it. Obviously the above mentioned faults would only be noticed by someone who has owned BMW's in the past as they are not that obvious unless you are specifically looking for them. What do guys reckon, fix it or sell it?

P.S I love the car, roars like a beast and gets plenty of looks, is even good on fuel when i baby it (which is most of the time). Just dont want to be left with a lemon.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Members

I'l chime in just because no one else has yet...

Basically it boils down to "feeling good". We pay more for our cars because we like the way they make us feel. For some its performance, for others its style. Usually when people sell a car after only owning it a few months it will cost you some $$$. If you feel you can sell the car for close to what you paid for it then I say you should. Even if you are imagining things you are obviously upset about it and you are not driving 100% happy. For me it would boil down to: "How much is my piece of mind worth?". Maybe put out an ad... It can't hurt. If you find someone willing to pay a good price then do it. This also taakes into consideration if you have the money to buy another vehicle that will make you happy. You also need to think about the age of your car. If you can afford to buy a later model 550, then I think you should. Right now it won't be hard to sell a 545, but in a couple years you might find it a bit more difficult. Just me brainstorming out loud. I hope it was a little helpfull. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Contributors

keep it.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Contributors

I say sell it.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:24 AM
Members

I think i will probably keep it and see how it goes for the next few months (with an ad on the side ). Money isnt really that big of an issue but i'd rather not have an expensive paperweight at the end of this. The car is still amazingly fast, comfortable, looks great and runs pretty good. I think it probably needs some TLC though over the next few months to get it back to its glory. Torque convertor looks like its on its way out and ride seems a litte harsher. With my engine problem i will probably check the spark plugs myself and see whether or not it isnt the piston slap issue or bad lifters.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Members

Let me know if you decide to sell it. Looking for a 545. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Forbidden8701
I think i will probably keep it and see how it goes for the next few months (with an ad on the side ). Money isnt really that big of an issue but i'd rather not have an expensive paperweight at the end of this. The car is still amazingly fast, comfortable, looks great and runs pretty good. I think it probably needs some TLC though over the next few months to get it back to its glory. Torque convertor looks like its on its way out and ride seems a litte harsher. With my engine problem i will probably check the spark plugs myself and see whether or not it isnt the piston slap issue or bad lifters.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Dump it. Sounds like a lemon.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i | Nav - Sat Radio - Cold Weather Package - bluetooth -

I would keep it and see what happens...hell take it to the dealer and have them check it out...if they say its going to be an azz and a hand...well you make that final decision..
Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

You're lucky. When i purchased mine, it needed a waterpump, radiator, coolant temp sensor, and a couple radiator hoses (paid for by dealer). Then i replaced the vacuum pump and line on my own. It now needs valve cover gaskets and what looks to be upper timing cover gaskets as well. I have 72,500 on the clock. I'll be doing the gaskets my self. By 100k miles, i'm sure it will need a clutch, which i will also do myself.

The car is awesome to drive, compliments from anyone. And the sound of the V8 is nice. Cant beat V8+active steering.

The car will require maitenence, just be aware of this. I'd consider a 3rd party warranty through a reputable company. I know when mine runs out, i will get one on the engine/transmission, etc. Cant afford a $25,000 engine.

When i think of selling it, i cant come up with anything that will keep me as happy as this car. Thats why i put up with its bullshit.

i say keep it.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by 05545i
You're lucky. When i purchased mine, it needed a waterpump, radiator, coolant temp sensor, and a couple radiator hoses (paid for by dealer). Then i replaced the vacuum pump and line on my own. It now needs valve cover gaskets and what looks to be upper timing cover gaskets as well. I have 72,500 on the clock. I'll be doing the gaskets my self. By 100k miles, i'm sure it will need a clutch, which i will also do myself.

The car is awesome to drive, compliments from anyone. And the sound of the V8 is nice. Cant beat V8+active steering.

The car will require maitenence, just be aware of this. I'd consider a 3rd party warranty through a reputable company. I know when mine runs out, i will get one on the engine/transmission, etc. Cant afford a $25,000 engine.

When i think of selling it, i cant come up with anything that will keep me as happy as this car. Thats why i put up with its bullshit.

i say keep it.

+1

the car is a beast and is beautiful. keep it.

Quick Reply: Should I Sell My 545i?