E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Should I order a factory painted bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 12:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Hi all

I got a light hit on rear bumper last Tuesday by a Nissan Primera. Speed was only 5 km/hour but however it seems that the insurance company is paying me a new rear bumper and diffusor part. The price for them will be quite the same if I order factory painted parts or grounded parts and let paint them by the paint shop here so they let me choose. The car is only 12 months old with 13000 kms in tacho and has always been kept in garage so I pretty much assume that the paint still has the original shade left.

What do you think which is better? Currently I think that I will take ready painted parts because they are painted using the same powder paint method that was used when the the car was painted in the factory. The car is Carbon Black with M-sport package.

I have to decide tomorrow - any comments or advice?

Best regards

TGII
Old 05-31-2009, 03:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by TitangrauII530iA' post='895574' date='May 31 2009, 04:45 PM
Hi all

I got a light hit on rear bumper last Tuesday by a Nissan Primera. Speed was only 5 km/hour but however it seems that the insurance company is paying me a new rear bumper and diffusor part. The price for them will be quite the same if I order factory painted parts or grounded parts and let paint them by the paint shop here so they let me choose. The car is only 12 months old with 13000 kms in tacho and has always been kept in garage so I pretty much assume that the paint still has the original shade left.

What do you think which is better? Currently I think that I will take ready painted parts because they are painted using the same powder paint method that was used when the the car was painted in the factory. The car is Carbon Black with M-sport package.

Best regards

TGII
Better drive you own to paint shop to match the color. Even same color code and different lot color. Beware of just litter differenet and you mind of that
Old 05-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Members

My Ride: Stock for now

Originally Posted by ricky1329' post='895606' date='May 31 2009, 04:29 AM
Better drive you own to paint shop to match the color. Even same color code and different lot color. Beware of just litter differenet and you mind of that
+1 I just got my front bumper replaced on my 04 E60 with a new OEM one after a little encounter with a dumb turkey and the body shop painted it and the match is dead on. I would let a shop paint and match to to your car.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by TitangrauII530iA' post='895574' date='May 31 2009, 11:45 AM
Hi all

Best regards

TGII
Hi again

I was at the paint shop today together with the insurance inspector. The result is: the bumper and the diffusor will both be replaced. The paint shop owner recommended factory painted parts due to the limited age of my car and the fact that the painting process is different compared to the one they can use here. The bumper was taken away and everything behind it is completely ok - now the old bumper is back again and we are waiting for the delivery: 2-3 weeks. It took only 30 minutes to remove and mount the bumper. Very clever and simple procedure.

The car was also in the dealership garage last friday due to sunroof noise and uneven idling. Result: the sunroof seal was replaced- now it's completely quiet -first time ever with this car. The NOX- sensor was also broken - now the engine feels better - let's see how long the joy will last this time.

Regards from Finland

TGII
Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TitangrauII530iA' post='896772' date='Jun 2 2009, 01:01 AM
Hi again

I was at the paint shop today together with the insurance inspector. The result is: the bumper and the diffusor will both be replaced. The paint shop owner recommended factory painted parts due to the limited age of my car and the fact that the painting process is different compared to the one they can use here. The bumper was taken away and everything behind it is completely ok - now the old bumper is back again and we are waiting for the delivery: 2-3 weeks. It took only 30 minutes to remove and mount the bumper. Very clever and simple procedure.

The car was also in the dealership garage last friday due to sunroof noise and uneven idling. Result: the sunroof seal was replaced- now it's completely quiet -first time ever with this car. The NOX- sensor was also broken - now the engine feels better - let's see how long the joy will last this time.

Regards from Finland

TGII
good to know that things are settled.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Hope it works out...