E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

shipping from u.s. to canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010 | 01:18 PM
Members

how much do u have to pay at customs? im considering buying some parts on this american site cuz they have more variety down there but not sure how much i get dinged at customs
Old 03-22-2010 | 02:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by dixon
how much do u have to pay at customs? im considering buying some parts on this american site cuz they have more variety down there but not sure how much i get dinged at customs
Depends who they ship with, if they use UPS make sure to purchase lots of anal lube in advance

But your pretty much going to have to suck it up, stuff still ends up being cheaper then buying here. At the very least you will need to pay taxes on the item, duty depends on if it is made in the US or not. Customs didn't charge me duty on my VMR wheels and I'm hoping to get away on my side skirts as well Taxes are a moot point since you would have paid them if you bought local as well.

So what you looking at getting?
Old 03-22-2010 | 06:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi

What Deez said.

Taxes you can't avoid, and duty (6%) is charged if it's not manufactured in the U.S. Those aren't too bad, but brokerage is the killer. Apparently, there's a magic formula for figuring out brokerage, but I can't seem to figure it out - it can be miniscule to massive, and I haven't figured out when and why it's one or the other

There are a couple ways to minimize brokerage. Drop ship it at the border, and clear customs yourself - it can be annoying, and a long drive, but it can save you a bundle on big items. For smaller items, see if the vendor or person you're dealing with will ship USPS - they have a flat rate ($5 or $10, I can't remember) for brokerage - tells you how much FedEx and UPS are making on these fees

You can also ship expedited (I know this applies to UPS, not sure about FedEx), where brokerage is included in the shipping cost. Obviously, the shipping costs are more expensive for expedited, but at least you're not surprised with a bill.

As Deez said, in most cases, you'll still work out better even with these fees, particularly with the dollar where it is. Good luck!

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5
Depends who they ship with, if they use UPS make sure to purchase lots of anal lube in advance

But your pretty much going to have to suck it up, stuff still ends up being cheaper then buying here. At the very least you will need to pay taxes on the item, duty depends on if it is made in the US or not. Customs didn't charge me duty on my VMR wheels and I'm hoping to get away on my side skirts as well Taxes are a moot point since you would have paid them if you bought local as well.

So what you looking at getting?
Old 03-24-2010 | 07:25 AM
Members

i have to order rotors and brakes for front and back pretty soon here, autopartsway.ca is fairly cheap for pricing i found but doesnt have a lot of choices thats why im looking at that pelicanparts.com site.

if i were to buy say 500 bucks worth of stuff it would come out to be like 900 would it? cuz if so buying at that canadian site would be cheaper but lacks options which i dont mind if its guna save me 30 %