E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Shipping Blocks not removed from my 07 530I

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Friday I picked up my 2007 530I from the dealer (it wasn't supposed to arrive until next week) I drove it home Friday evening in stop and go traffic and thought the ride was a bit bouncy. I didn't test drive before ordering. Previously, I owned an 03 530I. Saturday my wife and I went out for the first time at freeway speeds and it was a nightmare. Every little bump in the road went right up my spine. My initial thought was, "What has BMW done to the ride?" I called the dealer to let him know I was coming in and the service advisor asks me if I have the sport package, which I do, and tells me that bouncing is 'sporty'. Whatever that means. I insisted that something wrong. He reluctantly scheduled me in. I took the car in today to the dealer. Apparently, they left the SHIPPING BLOCKS in!? I didn't get a straight answer, but they assured me it was fine. I drove the car almost 150 miles over three days of hell. Could there be damage? The dealer spent about an hour with the car before giving it back to me. It rides like a dream now. I've never heard of this happening before. Thanks

Scott
Old 05-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by svandiest' post='286729' date='May 23 2006, 06:43 PM
On Friday I picked up my 2007 530I from the dealer (it wasn't supposed to arrive until next week) I drove it home Friday evening in stop and go traffic and thought the ride was a bit bouncy. I didn't test drive before ordering. Previously, I owned an 03 530I. Saturday my wife and I went out for the first time at freeway speeds and it was a nightmare. Every little bump in the road went right up my spine. My initial thought was, "What has BMW done to the ride?" I called the dealer to let him know I was coming in and the service advisor asks me if I have the sport package, which I do, and tells me that bouncing is 'sporty'. Whatever that means. I insisted that something wrong. He reluctantly scheduled me in. I took the car in today to the dealer. Apparently, they left the SHIPPING BLOCKS in!? I didn't get a straight answer, but they assured me it was fine. I drove the car almost 150 miles over three days of hell. Could there be damage? The dealer spent about an hour with the car before giving it back to me. It rides like a dream now. I've never heard of this happening before. Thanks

Scott
Scott,

There have been cases of the shipping blocks being left in. It seems to be happening so regularly that I wonder if some of the cases are almost intentional. After hearing enough cases this is something I am going to pay attention to.

Doesn't the dealer have to declare what work was done no matter if they or you pay?
Old 05-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Contributors

I don't think there would be damage, just the car would sit a bit high.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='286735' date='May 23 2006, 07:14 PM
I don't think there would be damage, just the car would sit a bit high.
Not in this case:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24592

Old 05-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='286737' date='May 23 2006, 04:18 PM
Wow, that's a shame. At least he gets a new suspension
Old 05-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='286737' date='May 23 2006, 04:18 PM

Ya first thing that came to mind when i saw the post title were those pics!
Old 05-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Contributors

But in that post were those plastic parts determined to be the shipping blocks or parts of his shocks? I thought shipping blocks were larger and basically took up the play in the springs.

I think any dealer that leaves shipping blocks in a brand new e-60 should not be selling BMWS . That is inexcusable.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='286790' date='May 23 2006, 06:29 PM
But in that post were those plastic parts determined to be the shipping blocks or parts of his shocks? I thought shipping blocks were larger and basically took up the play in the springs.

I think any dealer that leaves shipping blocks in a brand new e-60 should not be selling BMWS . That is inexcusable.
Thanks everyone for the info!

I'll pull my wheels tomorrow and look for damage. There must be two types of blocks because my ride was unbearable! There was zero travel. I'll quiz my dealer. Imagine the liability if I had lost control on the freeway.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

The same thing happened to me when I bought my 2001 540. I thought, OMG, this sport suspension is rough. I took it in and they admitted they had left the shipping blocks in. I drove the car for over 90,000 mile of driving pleasure with no problems. I seriously doubt there was any damage to your car. It never even occured to me at the time that my car may have been damaged. The blocks are there to protect the car during shipping, right? Enjoy the ride. You may want to check your tire pressure too. If they left the blocks in they probably put the maximum pressure listed on the tire sidewall too.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by svandiest' post='286811' date='May 23 2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks everyone for the info!

I'll pull my wheels tomorrow and look for damage. There must be two types of blocks because my ride was unbearable! There was zero travel. I'll quiz my dealer. Imagine the liability if I had lost control on the freeway.
No problem. I have no problem if there is an honest mistake. No one is perfect and sometimes many eyes will miss a problem. Just own up to it.

My issue is if there was an outright lie to the customer (you).

One of my first jobs as a youth was working at a local gas station being a gas jockey. I witnessed the mechanic get away with crime after crime in very devious ways with the customer being none the wiser.

Quick Reply: Shipping Blocks not removed from my 07 530I