E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 06:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have an '06 and i too feel an annoying vibration, i thought it is do to run-flats (i have dunlops), but I noticed that your car does not have run-flats. I was ready to spend $2000 on new rims and tires upgrading to stle 124 with michelin pilots, but after having read these post i don't believe this will solve my proble. I am concerned this could be a common problem, I will call my dealer and bring in a copy of this thead... I'm getting nervous.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Any sensible dealer would agree that this type of vibration is not normal and they should at least offer to fix it. Especially on a smooth road.

But what Rudy mentions is vaild also. Although the pavement looks flat and smooth, it doesn't mean that it is. I notice the smallest bump or imperfection on the road w/ the sport package. I'm sure it's also due to the runflats.

Originally Posted by Nine' date='Jun 16 2005, 09:02 AM
You can feel the vibration as well as see it....it has, however settled down since the weather in the midwest has cooled down. You can also feel it when you are in a slight turn. I dont know what to make of it. I would figure its just a tire balance thing, but since Ive got the car back the vibration is more inconsistant. Sometimes the car runs smooth other times the vibration returns...go figure. :'(
[snapback]140060[/snapback]
Old 06-16-2005, 07:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530I, Black Sapphire, Gray dakota leather, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Audio upgrade, Comfort seats, Rear heated seats

My car is an '06 530I without a/s or runflats. I know what you mean about the road surfaces, but the roads I reproduce it on are smooth and fairly new, Ive driven other cars down them with no issues....and this vibration is rhythmic not caused by road impurities.
I did alot of my own investigation prior to going to the dealer, I changed tire presures and rotated tires trying to isolate the problem...but, no matter what I did, no matter what the tire presures were or what tire was where, the vibration remained.
I think the sales manager was a little concerned when I told him the other two 06s I drove had the same problem....I wish I would have driven a 3-series to see how it did.....maybe Ill do that today?
Old 06-16-2005, 07:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' date='Jun 16 2005, 09:34 AM
My brand-new '06 530i does this occasionally, too.? Even on newly paved, very smooth roads...? It would be interesting if it was an early indicator of a steering rack flaw...? Jon.
[snapback]140083[/snapback]

Mine does this too. It is possible that this could be a valvetronic vibration issue similar to what the 545i owners have had to deal with. I don't generally get a sense that it has anything to do with turning the steering wheel.

No AS here, but I have runflats and sports package (dynamic drive).

It was there when the tires were full load (44 36) and regular load (36 29).
Old 06-16-2005, 07:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530I, Black Sapphire, Gray dakota leather, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Audio upgrade, Comfort seats, Rear heated seats

I dont know, my guess would have been tire vibration, but now I find that hard to believe being that I rotated the tires and the problem continued and I drove two other cars with different brand tires and they had the problem as well.
The dealer said he never heard of this complaint on a '05....I wonder, could it be something that changed with the 06, or maybe cars within a certain build date? My car was built in late March. I think the completion date was March 25th.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I felt this "shimmy" effect the day I drove the car home on the freeway. It felt weird like I was having trouble keeping it in the lane. It only lasted about 20 miles too.

One year later, I have never felt it again. It was totally weird and random and just that one time. Strange.

Originally Posted by Nine' date='Jun 16 2005, 09:50 AM
I dont know, my guess would have been tire vibration, but now I find that hard to believe being that I rotated the tires and the problem continued and I drove two other cars with different brand tires and they had the problem as well.
? The dealer said he never heard of this complaint on a '05....I wonder, could it be something that changed with the 06, or maybe cars within a certain build date? My car was built in late March. I think the completion date was March 25th.
[snapback]140123[/snapback]
Old 06-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Nine' date='Jun 16 2005, 10:50 AM
?? The dealer said he never heard of this complaint on a '05....I wonder, could it be something that changed with the 06, or maybe cars within a certain build date? My car was built in late March. I think the completion date was March 25th.
[snapback]140123[/snapback]
any other owners of '06 with this problem taken any futher actions? I have an appointment with my dealer on tuesday 06-28, i was hoping it was the run-flats but now i'm not so sure.
Nine, do you think when you test drove those others e-60 that you may have been experiencing some flat spotting..(these cars may have been parked for a while), for how long did you do these test drives...let us know what's going on..I'll kept you posted of the results of my service visit
Old 06-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

I've got the same 'vibration' in the steering wheel. You can also feel the shimmy when you turn the steering wheel right or left, at about the 10:30 or 1:30 position, in corners going over 50 mph. I hate to say this, but I think this is normal for this car, i.e., you feel the road more in this car than say a Lexus GS300 or something like that. My sister's 2000 525 (premium pkg. only) has more solid steering than this car. It's just something I think we have to live with. At 90+ mph, the car rides perfect - I find myself driving these speeds quite often.....
Old 06-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

There are two possibilites. First, your tires could be out of round. They can be in perfect balance but slightly out of round and as they go in and out of synch with one another (turning causes this) you will get varying levels of shimmy. Have your dealer or a tire shop check them for out of round. Second, when a car sits for a time, the tires cool and can develop a flat spot that eventually goes away when they warm back up. This is especially noticable in the winter. If your shimmy is temporary, this is the likely cause.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Here's an interesting article that describes pretty closely what we are experiencing...

http://www.visteon.com/utils/whitepa...03_01_3643.pdf

Cheers, Jon.

Quick Reply: Shimmy