E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Shhhhhhhhh

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pet hate is interior rattles. My previous car, C class Merc, had a very load dash vibration at low revs that drove me insane. So to my horror the 5er developed a very loud vibration/rattle at low revs a couple of days ago. The sound was coming from the driver side footwell area, I tried pushing, pulling and punching all over the place to no avail. So today I removed the lower dash panel and went for a spin, no vibration. Had a closer look at the panel and one of the metal clips at the front was loose and rattled when I tapped on the panel. I tightened it down with pliers, then I sprayed a tiny amount of silicon lube on all the clips and mounting points. Put all back together and voila, the noise has gone.

Now I was on quest for pure silence, the rear arm rest rattles a lot in the 5er. Even opening and closing it creates a rattle. I took the plastic surround off the lock and cup holders and found a small plastic jewel from someone?s cheapo jewellery stuck inside the lock. After some Beyonce style jiggling I managed to get it out. Again gave everything a fine coating of silicon lube and again, the noise has gone.

So this got me thinking the door seals were also a little noisy at times, broke out a cloth and the trusty silicon lube (I love this stuff). Wiped over all the door seals and went for a drive. All I can say is wow, for the first time I have no rattles, squeaks, creaks or vibrations. I turned the radio and aircon off and it was a lovely drive.

In conclusions there is no real point to this story other than to keep your rubber lubed and don't buy cheap jewellery.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by azstar
keep your rubber lubed
Sage words to live by. Oh the other advice wasn't too bad either.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

My pet hate is interior rattles. My previous car ...
was not a Toyota!

When I traded my '05 Toyota in for the 5er it had 56k miles and the interior rattles/buzzes were so freaking loud that you really needed ear plugs when driving down the road.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

door seals are a known issue for causing some cabin noises...glad you got your rattles, squeaks, and creeks resolved so easily...a few other posts mention this same remedy as well
Old 07-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by or_550i
was not a Toyota!

When I traded my '05 Toyota in for the 5er it had 56k miles and the interior rattles/buzzes were so freaking loud that you really needed ear plugs when driving down the road.

Lol, my dad has a Toyota Avensis and it is actually quite good. Only noises he has had are seat rubbing against arm rest, rattling fuse box door, vibration from behind the sat nav screen and a scraping sound when turning the steering wheel
Old 07-04-2010, 03:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

im gonna try out the silicone lube on my door seals too thanks for the post!
Old 07-04-2010, 06:24 AM
Contributors

After some Beyonce style jiggling...
Old 07-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

I had some annoying creaks and squeaks for a while and I thought I could live with it until I tried this method. I went to the local hardware store and bought a can of Dupont silicone with teflon. It was a spray kind so I took a piece of sponge and sprayed it first then took it to every nook and cranny of the door seals. Took about 30 minutes to give them 2 coats each. And now, the car is quiet on turns and bumps like a 007's silencer. Thanks for the tip.