E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Shattered windshield in my 545i!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545iA - Built date 09/03, Sport Package, Alpine White III, Grey Interior, Cold Weather Package, PDC, Rear Electric Sunshades, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Chromed BMW Style 124 18x8, 18x9 Wheels, M-Tech Aero Kit, Rear Trunk Decklid Spoiler, Tinted Windows, Valentine One Modifications: RDSport Quad Exhaust, 20x8.5 and 20x11 HRE 943R, Vorsteiner CF Decklid, Dinan CAI

While I was about to exit on the freeway to my work Mon morning, some object came out of nowhere and shattered my windshield on my 545i. As as soon I turned my head forward after momentarily looking to the right to see if their were any traffic for me to merge to the far right lane to exit, I heard a loud pop and my windshield was shattered. All the glasses fell inside of my car and on me. I am not sure what kind of object it was. It all happend so fast!

I saw one of those hughe construction truck with a bed in front of me and suspected it was from that construction truck. So I decided to follow this yellow truck and called the police to give them the plates. When the officer arrived, he said unfortunately he is not going to be able to file a report because I was not sure if it came from the truck or not. He recommended for me to either go through the insurance to get the windshield fixed or handle it on my own without involving my insurance depending on my deductible.

I called my dealer and got a quote for about $1250 to replace the windshield (about $625 for parts - OEM windshield, condensation sensor, rain sensor, molding, glue kit and $625 for labor - 5 hours labor). Does it really take 5 hours to replace a windshield?

For those that have replaced their windshield, is it necessary to replace the condensation sensor and rain sensor. I am getting mixed info from different places. My dealer is telling me that the condensation sensor and rain sensor comes with the windshield. However, a few window places told me I can just replaced the windshield and don't need the condensation and rain sensor. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Shattered windshield in my 545i!!!-picture_025.jpg   Shattered windshield in my 545i!!!-picture_026.jpg   Shattered windshield in my 545i!!!-picture_030.jpg  
Old 01-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Members

Oh man that just hurts :'(
Glad you are ok!!
Old 01-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Members

Glad you're OK.

Not sure about US spec windscreens, but I just had my windscreen replaced here in Ireland on an 2006 reg 520d. The rain sensor unit/mirror mount just pops off the glass. There is a "docking unit" (for want of a better description) already moulded into the new pane of glass that the sensor/mirror just pops back onto once the windscreen is installed. So there was no need to replace any of the sensors.

5 Hours though! Mine was swapped out in 1hr (about 50 mins to be exact). All done on insurance, no affect on premium and I didn't have to pay the autoglass company a penny - they deal direct with the insurance company!!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 03:33 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Irishman' post='382066' date='Jan 23 2007, 11:41 AM
Glad you're OK.

Not sure about US spec windscreens, but I just had my windscreen replaced here in Ireland on an 2006 reg 520d. The rain sensor unit/mirror mount just pops off the glass. There is a "docking unit" (for want of a better description) already moulded into the new pane of glass that the sensor/mirror just pops back onto once the windscreen is installed. So there was no need to replace any of the sensors.

5 Hours though! Mine was swapped out in 1hr (about 50 mins to be exact). All done on insurance, no affect on premium and I didn't have to pay the autoglass company a penny - they deal direct with the insurance company!!!!

The windscreen on mine is being replaced on Saturday, due to a split on the passenger side - no impact marks which is a little strange

Coming back to the orginal quesiton, I was quoted 4 hours to have mine swapped out. I assume this is just the time they block, but probably only need the 1 hour as mentioned above. As for the cost, this is done as part of the company car package. That said, it is common place in Germany for this type of replacement to be covered by your insurance, without impacting your no-claims or annual charge. Is this not the case in the US - worth checking your policy.

I think it would be worth you challenging the quote you received. Hopefully some of the US members can help you here...

good luck!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Ouch! Sry to hear about it. Glad you're OK.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

5 hours

My coleague had his replaced by Autoglass in 45 minutes (all inclusive) and without having to pay a dime. No effect on insurance too.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

I believe they are trying to rape you on the additional items. You only need a new windshield, not a rain sensor. I also have this type of coverage on my insurance. I pay nothing to replace it and it doesn't affect my insurance. If you don't have this type of coverage, contact a local windshield replacement place, www.safelite.com Also, there is no OEM windshield replacement. You'll get an after market equivalent.

You know, you can always take it to the carwash and have the window chip guy take a look at it
Old 01-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about that.. good to hear youre ok though. good luck with your windshield.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi 12/05 production, monaco blue/gray, steptronics, premium, cold weather.

That is a major rip off. OEM windshield is only 400 bucks or so. I had mine replaced for about 650 bucks total. Good as new.

Aquatimer
06 530xi
Old 01-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

That looks pretty bad, glad you are ok.

The labour hour is just :thumbsdown:
Do you think they need 2 hours to change your oil, but that's what it says on the job sheet.