E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Shark fin removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

I've never removed one but I'd bet it is some sort of 3M VHB tape.

I would get a can of 3M adhesive remover. Use the long top to squirt the stuff all the way around (it will help soften the adhesive). Then use a heat gun and heat the roof around it. I'm assuming the fin is not metal so be careful. Heathing the roof will help soften the adhesive. Then use some plastic putty knives to work around it. Keep adding more 3M adhesive remover and heat as you make progress

This is what I would try. I haven't looked at the FSM so I don't know if there are any bolts are not but the method above should help with any tape.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

this is exactly why i just gave up on removals and work around the fin lol.

i dont know how they do it. shit at this point it might make sense to hit the dealership and ask them how much the 'special tool' is....might be worth the investment lol
Old 04-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

UPDATE!!

i purchased a thin flexible putty knife, and after my car parked outside in the heat today during my lunch at work i tapped off around the shark pin, and got to slice...LIKE BUTTER!!! came off in less than a minute!!

so easy, i cant believe i wasted so much time and pain using fishing string yesterday. ill post pics later tonight for future reference.

only bad thing is when i was using the fishing string i actually cut through a piece of the shark fin that pins down, but no big deal the glue holds it down anyways. everything else smooth like butter and no scratches on the paint on the roof or shark fin...actually safer to use this than fishing line i think..

now i can get started on my matte roof after work.

so for anyone else, use a thin spreader mine is 1 1/4 and let it sit in the sun for the afternoon and tape off, and slowly slice from under neath back and forth motion. i guess the hard part now will be cleaning the residue, for applying it back on i will be using black silicone. their is a bolt but its nothing to do with the shark fin only for unbolt the gps antenna or whatever antenna is under the shark fin, it is only a cover. their are 3 pins, but their located inner the glue. so using my method i dont see why someone cant do it in about 10 minutes is their careful.

still cant believe is was this easy. keywords for anyone searching: shark fin, shark, fin, removal, remove, off, e60, bmw , vinyl roof, roof, antenna, antenna cover, cover,
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

Post a picture of the top of the roof and the bottom of the shark fin. That will help the next guy more than a 1000 words
Old 04-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by ssmokn
Post a picture of the top of the roof and the bottom of the shark fin. That will help the next guy more than a 1000 words
+1

I have a tool for removing windshields and was going to recommend that. It looks similar to this. BMW guy came to replace my windshield and left it under my hood. LOL. He called me about it but after playing phone tag told me to keep it. http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl...hield-tool.jpg

Not to mention they gave me an M5 anti-glare windshield on accident

Old 06-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i SMG

Just did this and would like to confirm this to everyone: It is NOT double sided taped. It is basically flexible body adhesive. I have removed many pieces of trim in my life and 99.9% of them were double sided tape. This was definitely a different beast. Removing the adhesive after you get the fin off was just as much fun....
Old 06-02-2014, 11:22 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

Use dental floss! Just get a piece about 18" long and wrap each end around your index fingers and use a sawing motion, back and forth. Works great and no risk of damaging the paint. Then use a plastic trim tool and some rubbing alcohol to get rid of the left-over adhesive.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i SMG

Have you actually tried an e60 antenna? That method works great for normal double sided tape badges and trim, but floss and rubbing alcohol is no match for the butyl glue they use on these things (atleast pre-lci anyway)
Old 06-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by stylinmike
Just did this and would like to confirm this to everyone: It is NOT double sided taped. It is basically flexible body adhesive. I have removed many pieces of trim in my life and 99.9% of them were double sided tape. This was definitely a different beast. Removing the adhesive after you get the fin off was just as much fun....
Yes it is betalink adhesive.