E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Shark fin removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

Any suggestions or tricks to remove the shark fin? I searched a little and I've heard I can with fishing wire to cut through the glue, an also heard I new to unbolt two screws through headliner...anyone know official answer?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

sorry wish I could help but i ran into problem with removal too a while ago. that succker was in there really good. I do remember the bolts though.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

im just trying a fishing line, but man this is taking forever lol keeps snaping. but i should be getting close! i will not give up!!! even if i have to break it and buy another one!!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

yikes, been at it with fishing wire for quite a while now and showing little progress in removal. ive gone this far i have to finish, might have to keep trying tomorrow...hasnt ANYONE removed this coveR???
Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Tried several times. Failed repeatedly.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why are you trying to remove? just wondering
Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

https://5series.net/forums/topic/716...822#entry88822
Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

going to vinyl wrap the roof matte black, and want to paint the shark fin. i got all new seals for front rear and sunroof to replace the worn sun eaten ones, and figure might as well install the vinyl with everything off so i can do a clean job and not worry about trying to tuck in vinyl underneath the seals, or cut around the shark fin. too late now, since ive already stated i have to finish so i can re-seal what ive already fish stringed off.

i looked at that PDF file posted (thanks btw) but it lack details...

"Mask the area around the roof aerial to prevent damaging the paintwork.
Carefully cut the empty casing (1) for the roof aerial off the roof with the special tool.:"

cut what? the cover? what special tool??
Old 04-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by roskinc
going to vinyl wrap the roof matte black, and want to paint the shark fin. i got all new seals for front rear and sunroof to replace the worn sun eaten ones, and figure might as well install the vinyl with everything off so i can do a clean job and not worry about trying to tuck in vinyl underneath the seals, or cut around the shark fin. too late now, since ive already stated i have to finish so i can re-seal what ive already fish stringed off.

i looked at that PDF file posted (thanks btw) but it lack details...

"Mask the area around the roof aerial to prevent damaging the paintwork.
Carefully cut the empty casing (1) for the roof aerial off the roof with the special tool.:"

cut what? the cover? what special tool??
This special tool must be needed to cut the sealant. I looked at the pdf as well and you can see this sealant and then it talks about repapplying it. Must be some strong stuff!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

yeah, i searched online and found that its a strong double sided tape, ive found a few people who removed it and they did say it was tough, but i was at this for a good hour and a half and i probably only got like 10% there. hopefully its a hot day today so i can try it with the glue warmed up. tyring avoid too much heat gun i dont wanna ruin paint or cause a warp in the metal. might try a guitar string heated up slightly maybe this might slice thru the glue faster.

Quick Reply: Shark fin removal