E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Shall I swap my 530d for the 530i Sport
No, don't do it it is a mistake
75.00%
Yes, go ahead
25.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Shall I do this straight swap?! or will it be a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the E60 forum and I joined today to ask your advice on an important decision I am about to make

I paid ?28K for my current 2005 530d (218 BHP) with leather, Media pack, visibility pack, service contract till 2010 and 12K on the clock.

I am not very happy about the (fuel consumption Vs refinement) of the car compared to the petrol version especially that I make about 10K miles a year and I do most of it in town (stop / start all the time).

I managed to negotiate a deal for a straight swap (head to head) for my car against a 2005 530i M sport (258 BHP) with 10K miles also with leather and mediapack but no service contract or visibility pack. Both cars are same age so have same warranty, but mine has the service pack & visibility pack where the 530i Sport doesn't.

The car is for sale for ?27K at the dealer, but he'll swap cars with me without me having to pay anything.

Shall I go for it?

Please help with your expert advice

Ps The 530i M Sport had 4 previous owners (inc BMW)!!! But has done only 10K miles. How worried should I be about this
Old 09-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 535d M-Sport Individual Deep Green Metallic 19" Style 172 wheels Individual Champagne leather Media Pack Visibility pack Sunroof Privacy glass

4 owners in a year/year and a half is a little worrying, it may be a lemon. If you cant trace the previous keepers, it may be worth checking with the dealer to see what work has been carried out under warranty.

As for the idea of the swap, its what ever suits you. Start stop driving will really hurt economy in any car. I can see a 530i being a lot worse then the diesel.

Residuals in the petrol are also worse, especially further on down the line. Performance is probably similar but you have to work the petrol alot harder to get the same results. Refinement wise the petrol has the edge at low speeds, otherwise, no difference really.

Decision's yours Im afraid!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

I am counting on people voting here till the end of this weekend and I will decide then after taking as many of your valued opinions into consideration as well as visiting the dealer and will insist on contacting the previous owner before making any decisions.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

4 owners? forget it. See if you can talk to the previous owners and see what the problems were... look up the service record... see what it has gone in for.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 530d M Sport Saloon; Auto; Silver Grey; Navigation System Professional; Sun Protection Glass; M Rear Spoiler; No Model Inscription; Bluetooth Telephone Preparation; BMW 6 Disc CD Changer

I wouldn't expect a dealer to do a straight swap - unless it was in his best interest (i.e. he's getting the better end of the deal). I'd worry about the 4 owners in such a short period of time. And, as covered in previous posts, the fuel economy won't get better.

Nah, I wouldn't.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Previously owned by BMW?

Too many ppl have been messing with it...
Old 09-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Would you buy your new car from Hertz or some other car rental agency? Seems thats what you'll get.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Senior Members

Well

I asked the dealer to supply the details of previous owners so I can contact them.

If he does, I'll call them and see what they have to say about it.

Thanks everyone
Old 09-29-2006, 12:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='339565' date='Sep 28 2006, 11:16 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the E60 forum and I joined today to ask your advice on an important decision I am about to make

I paid ?28K for my current 2005 530d (218 BHP) with leather, Media pack, visibility pack, service contract till 2010 and 12K on the clock.

I am not very happy about the (fuel consumption Vs refinement) of the car compared to the petrol version especially that I make about 10K miles a year and I do most of it in town (stop / start all the time).

I managed to negotiate a deal for a straight swap (head to head) for my car against a 2005 530i M sport (258 BHP) with 10K miles also with leather and mediapack but no service contract or visibility pack. Both cars are same age so have same warranty, but mine has the service pack & visibility pack where the 530i Sport doesn't.
The car is for sale for ?27K at the dealer, but he'll swap cars with me without me having to pay anything.

Shall I go for it?

Please help with your expert advice

Ps The 530i M Sport had 4 previous owners (inc BMW)!!! But has done only 10K miles. How worried should I be about this
No don`t do it!!!
4 owner sounds very bad!!!
The sale person will be if you do, do it.
I dont like the sound of the sale person saying you dont have to pay a penny.
I think he is trying to get rid of it quick.
I bet you will still see this car there in 4 months time.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

u seem very interseted in the car...you can clearly see from the vote that this is a mistake....your car has been driven only by you and in excellent condition...why would you want to trade that in for a car you know nothing about, except that 4 ppl have bought it and didnt like it....

Quick Reply: Shall I do this straight swap?! or will it be a mistake