E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Set time and date - mysterious computer or electrical glitch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Today marks the 2nd time after a period 4-7 days of rest where the 550i lost track of the current time and date, as well as fuel usage and the trip odometer.

The clock showed -- -- and the date was three days ago.

When I started the car, the message on the HUD and the CID said "Set time and date." (Good to know the HUD displays this info)

Coincidentally the car is going to the workshop for a progman upgrade Monday or Tuesday so the timing is good but I'm curious if anyone here has any insight to these problems.

The car was locked and presumably all modules were asleep during my absence (I was driving several cars including an Infiniti EX35 as well as a Kia Amanti while the 550i rested).

Thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='617735' date='Jul 6 2008, 10:23 PM
Today marks the 2nd time after a period 4-7 days of rest where the 550i lost track of the current time and date, as well as fuel usage and the trip odometer.

The clock showed -- -- and the date was three days ago.

When I started the car, the message on the HUD and the CID said "Set time and date." (Good to know the HUD displays this info)

Coincidentally the car is going to the workshop for a progman upgrade Monday or Tuesday so the timing is good but I'm curious if anyone here has any insight to these problems.

The car was locked and presumably all modules were asleep during my absence (I was driving several cars including an Infiniti EX35 as well as a Kia Amanti while the 550i rested).

Thanks in advance
I had the same problem, took it to dealer and was told that I did not drive the car enough to fully charge the battery. The computer sense that the battery is low and starts to shut down certain settings, the date and time is the first to go. This is what i was told by the dealer, the car and battery checked out fine.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

There have been several Topics on this issue. Happened twice on my '08 550. Had it in twice, issue apparently fixed as it has not returned and I don't know how they fixed it, but they did load progman updates on both occasions. Suggest search forum. See patb23 post of 2008Jun19.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

As lee1224 mentions, usually, when the clock needs resetting, it's because the car did not go into sleep mode properly. If the date is behind, I think you'll find that the indicated date was the date the car was last used. In other words, if the car sat for three days, the date will be three days behind. I'm not sure if it happens only on a low battery condition (car sleeping properly).

On my car, the first time this problem kept happening, the sport auto gear selector was keeping the car awake (randomly) so when I returned to the car after it being parked for a while, I'd often have to set the clock and possibly the date. They changed the shift lever and everything was fine for quite a while.

Now, it's happening again but this time it only happens when walk up to the car (while sleeping) and get something out of the trunk. When I return to the car after some time, the clock needs resetting, etc.

The following link takes you to some additional information:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=557014

Also, doing a search using "+sleep +mode" should give you more info...
Old 07-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by lee1224' post='617864' date='Jul 6 2008, 10:04 PM
I had the same problem, took it to dealer and was told that I did not drive the car enough to fully charge the battery. The computer sense that the battery is low and starts to shut down certain settings, the date and time is the first to go. This is what i was told by the dealer, the car and battery checked out fine.
This is exactly what I was told as well. If I am driving the car a lot, I never have this problem, but sometimes after a few weeks of driving only 5-10 miles per day, I need to reset clock and date...
Old 07-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

wash car with key in pocket and drains battery... Have vent system set on and drains battery... These things cause it mostly
Old 07-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gregg2gs' post='618392
Have vent system set on and drains battery...
This I use (parked ventilation) from time to time. Still, the car is designed to support the use of the feature.

I guess I'm left wondering why the battery drains enough to just to clear computer values.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='618395' date='Jul 7 2008, 09:00 PM
nope

This I use (parked ventilation) from time to time. Still, the car is designed to support the use of the feature.

I guess I'm left wondering why the battery drains enough to just to clear computer values.
Jonathan, I have a feeling you understand what I was saying before but just in case, I want to further clarify some things. The "computer values" such as the date/time aren't really cleared because the battery drained, it's really about the car trying to protect itself from any unexpected draining. If, for example, something is preventing the car from entering sleep mode, the car will sense that the battery is discharging beyond what would be considered normal and it will begin to manually turn off non-critical systems to help minimize drain.

The clock circuit must be one of the first things to be shut down because in every case of increased battery discharge, the clock turns to dashes and the date is usually frozen at the date the clock shutdown began. Many other systems begin to shut down as the discharge continues. For example, when my car doesn't sleep properly, not only is the clock not set but I'll see an "increased battery discharge" warning in the HUD and on the iDrive status bar and the active steering system goes through a reinitialization process.

If you're only seeing the clock issue, then it sounds like the drain on the battery isn't very large. Again, it could just be a weak battery or it could be something keeping the car awake (but not drawing much of a current.)

The following link will take you to a .pdf file I posted in the technical gallery that explains the entire power supply system of the E60. In it, you'll see how the car classifies different electical consumers as either "convenience consumers", "legally prescribed auxiliary consumers", and "auxiliary consumers".

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?autocom=ga...i&img=10935

I hope that helps you out a little more -- clearly your dealer is going to have to get involved but I'm sure you know that the more information you can give them about the symptoms, etc., the more likely they will be able to fix you up the first time...

Also, here's some links to some of the other threads were we discussed battery discharge issues:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=9956
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=45872
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=46904
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=46104
Old 07-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Contributors

Jonathan,

Since no one else has offered to "really" help you out with this problem ... next time you're away for several days at a time, leave your car with me and I'll be sure to drive it and keep the battery charged!
Old 07-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='618420' date='Jul 7 2008, 09:39 PM
Jonathan,

Since no one else has offered to "really" help you out with this problem ... next time you're away for several days at a time, leave your car with me and I'll be sure to drive it and keep the battery charged!
Sounds like a great plan, Jonathan gives you his 550i while he spends some quality time with a Kia...

Quick Reply: Set time and date - mysterious computer or electrical glitch?