E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SES light - engine emissions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my car to the dealer to look at a service engine soon light that said "increased emissions." The response from the dealer is to "replace Y hose and secondary air valves (secondary air Y hose leaking)." Apparently my "factory type" bumper to bumper after market warranty isn't planning to cover this. The cost is $1,313. Is this something I can do on my own with aftermarket parts?

Anything you can offer quickly would be great because I need to call the dealer back on what to do with the car. Thanks!!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Members

So far I found another shop that can do the work for $590. Still shopping... if anybody has removed the intake and can offer some advice on how difficult it is I would appreciate it. The shop is calling for 5 hours of work.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Bump!

I just go this error now, so anyone know the exact problem? I will take it to my indy shop and have them replace whatever it is. Hope it's not the catalic converter!!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

I had the same happen to my 750 I just reset it in my Idrive and all is good. I dont really care to spend 1300 or so for something stupid like that. BTW - I had mine happen around 70K on the odo.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

Thanks Syrousd! How do you reset it in iDrive? And does it affect the emission test results when I take it in? Mandatory here in Ontario.

Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

I spoke to my mechanic, and changing the pressure valves is very important in this case, because it may cause oil leaks and gasket issues.

He said the cost may be $500 to $600, I'm going to do it.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Silver,Gray, Metallic. Blk Dakota leather. Nav. Heads up disply. PDC. Pro logic 7 sound. 35% tint. Mods. MTECH body kit. OEM trunk finisher and M5 spoiler.OEM 166 wheels. Blk and wht CF Roundels. Orion V2 AEs. LCI taillights with Ricky effect. LED interior lights. LED license plate light. HID fogs. Smoked LED side markers. White cluster mod. Coding. RPI scoop & BMC filter. Gloss black OEM grills.CF interior trim. B&B exhaust.

I had the same error and mine was a thermostat.
Cost me About $200 total.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Thanks my appointment is on Wednesday next week, hopefully it's something minor.
Thermostat would cause the engine to overheat no?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by Shlooky
Thanks Syrousd! How do you reset it in iDrive? And does it affect the emission test results when I take it in? Mandatory here in Ontario.

Thanks again!
it is date driven in 750 it passed the so called inspection date and was overdue...so you just reset the date...again that was in a 750...
Old 10-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Silver,Gray, Metallic. Blk Dakota leather. Nav. Heads up disply. PDC. Pro logic 7 sound. 35% tint. Mods. MTECH body kit. OEM trunk finisher and M5 spoiler.OEM 166 wheels. Blk and wht CF Roundels. Orion V2 AEs. LCI taillights with Ricky effect. LED interior lights. LED license plate light. HID fogs. Smoked LED side markers. White cluster mod. Coding. RPI scoop & BMC filter. Gloss black OEM grills.CF interior trim. B&B exhaust.

Originally Posted by Shlooky
Thanks my appointment is on Wednesday next week, hopefully it's something minor.
Thermostat would cause the engine to overheat no?
I was getting the message on and off for about six months, just kept clearing the code.
The car never did overheat. We even checked the coolant temp on the diagnostic unit a couple
of times when we cleared it and the temp was right on.
Decided to go ahead and do the thermostat anyways and the code hasn't come back.

Quick Reply: SES light - engine emissions