E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

service soon light?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05' 530i-

Hey felow members i just got a service soon light with increased emissions. So i had the codes pulled and they were codes p0171 & p0174 bank 1 and bank 2 pretty much car is running lean. So 1st thing i did is check hoses then cleaned the MAF Sensor hoping it would work but if it did would my service soon light and increased emissions turn off by themselves or do i have to reset the warning light? Then see if they come back on. If so Do I reset it the same way as change oil, brakes, etc.? Or disconnect the battery? Thx
Old 04-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

How do you change the iDrive service settings for oil and brake, etc etc?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jreezye60
Hey felow members i just got a service soon light with increased emissions. So i had the codes pulled and they were codes p0171 & p0174 bank 1 and bank 2 pretty much car is running lean. So 1st thing i did is check hoses then cleaned the MAF Sensor hoping it would work but if it did would my service soon light and increased emissions turn off by themselves or do i have to reset the warning light? Then see if they come back on. If so Do I reset it the same way as change oil, brakes, etc.? Or disconnect the battery? Thx
Ses lights in regards to a lean condition require 2 complete drive cycles, if the air leak, or lack of fuel issuesare not present, after the completed cycles, the ses light will go off on its own. The ses light cannot be reset, or turned off through idrive, but any obd2 scann tool should be able to turn it off. Disconnecting the battery is not recommended as many sub systems would be effected (ie active steering, throttle response, ect...
Old 04-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TAJARO
How do you change the iDrive service settings for oil and brake, etc etc?
https://5series.net/forums/topic/177...nge-in-idrive/
Old 04-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by 5FOUR5
Ses lights in regards to a lean condition require 2 complete drive cycles, if the air leak, or lack of fuel issuesare not present, after the completed cycles, the ses light will go off on its own. The ses light cannot be reset, or turned off through idrive, but any obd2 scann tool should be able to turn it off. Disconnecting the battery is not recommended as many sub systems would be effected (ie active steering, throttle response, ect...
Even disconnect the battery can't reset that engine light.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 05' 530i-

Well here's an update pretty much the indy bmw shop i took my car to is telln me that my car needs a software update & they have never done a update on a bmw before & dont want to take a chance on tryin to on my car, so pretty much they recommended me to take it to my local bmw dealer so i capled & they want $180 for an update is that a good price? Or rip off?

Also my check engine light is off & no emmisions warning no more the shop cleared it.. But if theirs an emmisions problem that warning should come back on right? I had he car back for 2days already & everything seems fine no warnings or check engine.. So i dnt know if i should wait to see if they re appear or do a software update... Any suggestions would be great on what i should do
Old 04-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by jreezye60
Well here's an update pretty much the indy bmw shop i took my car to is telln me that my car needs a software update & they have never done a update on a bmw before & dont want to take a chance on tryin to on my car, so pretty much they recommended me to take it to my local bmw dealer so i capled & they want $180 for an update is that a good price? Or rip off?

Also my check engine light is off & no emmisions warning no more the shop cleared it.. But if theirs an emmisions problem that warning should come back on right? I had he car back for 2days already & everything seems fine no warnings or check engine.. So i dnt know if i should wait to see if they re appear or do a software update... Any suggestions would be great on what i should do

You should be fine, as they reset the code. As you mentioned if there is a problem, or faulty sensor you will see the waring code again, then you would probably want the stealership to check it out.

As for the software update, I could be mistaken, but you shouldnt "need" a software update. You may want to get one depending on how old your car is and what revision youre running, but the car wont tell the service tech it "needs" a software update.

Oh BTW, you cannot find out what version your car is on, as you will need the dealer to tell you that, then you can compare it to see if its the current version by talking to your SA.

GL