E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Service over due

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 04:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, Heads-up

Is there any way for me to reset my oil change service over due setting? I had my oil changed in Oct., and they didn't reset my service reminder.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-12-2006, 04:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by H-Wood' post='281488' date='May 12 2006, 01:51 PM
Is there any way for me to reset my oil change service over due setting? I had my oil changed in Oct., and they didn't reset my service reminder.

Thanks in advance

The instructions on how to do this are in the thread below. They were produced for resetting the Brake Fluid warning, but it's the same steps for the Oil indicator as well.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...ndpost&p=193584
Old 05-12-2006, 07:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by H-Wood' post='281488' date='May 12 2006, 03:51 PM

Thanks in advance
I would contact the dealer/garage.
How could they forget something like that?
Sounds like they didn't do what they where supposed to,
was it really at the dealers?

A oilchange service is not only changing the oil and -filter
but they also check out the cardata and the brakes, tyres etc.

In a (new) car it's important that everything is in order.

This is important for warranty reasons.

Did they fill out the service book?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, Heads-up

I didn't have the required miles for the oil change, but she was a year old...so I requested the oil change service. I didn't get a service booklet...I was just so happy that the service at BMW of Peabody MA. was like night and Day compared to BMW of Norwood Ma. :thumbsdown: , and it's more than twice the distance away from my house.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='281531' date='May 12 2006, 04:04 PM
I would contact the dealer/garage.
How could they forget something like that?
Sounds like they didn't do what they where supposed to,
was it really at the dealers?

A oilchange service is not only changing the oil and -filter
but they also check out the cardata and the brakes, tyres etc.

In a (new) car it's important that everything is in order.

This is important for warranty reasons.

Did they fill out the service book?

I believe this happens in about 40% of cases and yes it does mean that the dealers are money grabbing incompetents who are charging 450 for a basic service and then putting an aprentice on the car (Usually just before he goes on his bread)
Old 05-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You might want to ask the dealer if they'll do a free oil change now under the maintenance plan. I'll bet that the oil change you paid for was an "extra" one so they didn't reset the service indicator so it would still tick down to the normal warranty oil change. In other words, the dealer did you a favor and didn't reset it. If they did reset it, you'd have ripped yourself off of the warranty one that was coming due.

If the car says it needs a change, the dealer will do it under warranty -- especially if you paid for the prior one. Bottom line -- don't reset the meter yourself, get the dealer to give you the "scheduled" oil change for free and then they'll reset the meter...
Old 05-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530si Sport, on a boat as I type!! Orient Blue, Beige leather, premium package, premium sound, cold weather, steptronic, power shades, fold down rear seats, rear seat heat, park distance control, navigation & Sirius satellite radio.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='281751' date='May 12 2006, 10:02 PM
You might want to ask the dealer if they'll do a free oil change now under the maintenance plan. I'll bet that the oil change you paid for was an "extra" one so they didn't reset the service indicator so it would still tick down to the normal warranty oil change. In other words, the dealer did you a favor and didn't reset it. If they did reset it, you'd have ripped yourself off of the warranty one that was coming due.

If the car says it needs a change, the dealer will do it under warranty -- especially if you paid for the prior one. Bottom line -- don't reset the meter yourself, get the dealer to give you the "scheduled" oil change for free and then they'll reset the meter...
Rudy is correct. I was just in my dealer because I had a low oil warning. My oil change indicator says that it is not due for an oil change for another 2,900 miles (I have 13,300 miles on it) but my one year delivery anniversary is next Friday. They perform a "low mileage" oil change at 1 year regardless of whether service indicator says it is time, and they do NOT reset the indicator. i.e., you get to go in and get another oil change under your covered maintenance. They topped me off, and I have my one year oil change scheduled for a day after my 1 year anniversary date, and I expect I will be in again at the end of the summer for another free one.

In fact, my dealer had an actual sign made that was hanging up, explaining that very scenario.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Members

Thanks for the info...I'm going in for service on Friday.