E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

To service or not to service

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Had my car in for service in Nov. It was the brake fluid that needed replacing. At the same time I got new SW, mp3, lost my eyebrows, etc.

Just 6 weeks later my car told me that it needed to go in for another service. This time it was the microfilter. The warning light came on every time I turned on the ignition. First it was yellow and when the miles counted down towards zero it became red, telling me that service was really due now.

Then the other day. I had not made any service appointment or done anything about the message - it disappeared.
Now it is saying my microfilter is fine for another couple thousand miles.

What the heck???

Does anybody understand what is going on?
Do I bring it in, or not?

Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Yes, but not for the microfilter. For the service computer!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='382629' date='Jan 24 2007, 08:58 AM
Yes, but not for the microfilter. For the service computer!
Sounds like it could be a faulty sensor... bring it in to have them run diags...
Old 01-24-2007, 12:19 AM
Senior Members

I was wondering something along these lines too. There several countdowns expiring at different rates and looking like it could end up in a series of service visits at annoyingly close times.

I guess when the time comes, I and my SA will have to apply some judgement.

ABC
Old 01-24-2007, 05:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by uwsc11' post='382440' date='Jan 23 2007, 07:48 PM
Had my car in for service in Nov. It was the brake fluid that needed replacing. At the same time I got new SW, mp3, lost my eyebrows, etc.

Just 6 weeks later my car told me that it needed to go in for another service. This time it was the microfilter. The warning light came on every time I turned on the ignition. First it was yellow and when the miles counted down towards zero it became red, telling me that service was really due now.

Then the other day. I had not made any service appointment or done anything about the message - it disappeared.
Now it is saying my microfilter is fine for another couple thousand miles.

What the heck???

Does anybody understand what is going on?
Do I bring it in, or not?

Had the same problem. A red synbol came up on the display and in the I Drive it was ok and when I pressed the check button the red symbol also came up.When I took it in to the dealer,JMK, for service the symbol was no longer there. They did a CIP up grade,23.02.01 and everything was ok.Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 01-24-2007, 05:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='382639' date='Jan 24 2007, 09:19 AM
I guess when the time comes, I and my SA will have to apply some judgement.
You'd hope wouldn't you? My dealer refused to do anything unless iDrive said it needed doing! (Even if it was 1 mile away from being due...) Apparently the conditions of the Service Inclusive... However, if you're paying they'll do anything you want within reason for cash
Old 01-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

Normal!!

The microfilter "miles counter" can go up and down alot! If I drive alot downtown, parking garage etc, it will count down fast. But if I take the car on a long roadtrip out of the city, the miles for the microfilter serivce will increase!

We just did 1600 km's in 5 days, and the microfilter needed to be changed in 45.000 km's before the long trip. When we got home the microfilter needed a change in 48.000 km's
Old 01-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by colejl' post='382717' date='Jan 24 2007, 02:53 PM
You'd hope wouldn't you? My dealer refused to do anything unless iDrive said it needed doing! (Even if it was 1 mile away from being due...) Apparently the conditions of the Service Inclusive... However, if you're paying they'll do anything you want within reason for cash
Interesting.... Somehow, I thought they would have some reasonable threshold where they could coalesce service work both to save themselves workshop time as well as offering the customer some level of convenience. So, it sounds like all dealers would be the same especially if they have to adhere to policy.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='382978' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:09 PM
Interesting.... Somehow, I thought they would have some reasonable threshold where they could coalesce service work both to save themselves workshop time as well as offering the customer some level of convenience. So, it sounds like all dealers would be the same especially if they have to adhere to policy.
You would of thought wouldn't you! My dealer was adamant that only items that the iDrive say will be done even if that means coming back a week later for the next item!
Old 01-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='382985' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:22 PM
You would of thought wouldn't you! My dealer was adamant that only items that the iDrive say will be done even if that means coming back a week later for the next item!
I hope you managed to get a new set of wiper blades out of them (part of service inclusive...)
or did he want to inspect them for wear?

Quick Reply: To service or not to service