E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Service Engine Soon" Light Came On With 220 Miles On MY Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006 | 04:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige
Wink

Picked up my 550 Thursday morning and yesterday as I was approaching 220 miles, my "Service Engine Soon" idiot light came on. Needless to say, I was less then thrilled especially since the service folder on my M3 was over 60 pages. Took it to the dealer who was kind enough to have a tech working on it within 2 minutes. Seems a filter was bad that, unfortunately, had to be ordered. Should be in on Wednesday. Guess I will have them install my wood shift knob and e-brake while it's there, too.

That aside, I absolutely LOVE the car. Do not miss my convertible one bit....yet. The car has incredible power and control. The premium sound is incredible. I find that with I-drive it is almost necessary to use voice commands to simplify navigation of the various menus. The voice recognition is decent, not great, when the cabin is quiet. Since I am pretty much of a fresh air fiend and always drive with the windows and sunroof open, using voice is often futile. A few things onthe I-drive disappoint me. I wish that I could split the screen having the navigation window on the left and the entertainment controls (radio, CD, etc) on the right but it is either impossible or I simply haven't figured out how to do it yet. In my M3 I kept the map up all the time (looked cool) but as soon as I used a radio control, the map went away and was replaced by audio display for a few seconds. In threee days I have gotten used to saying "perspective" right after I start the car so the nav map pops right up. Being an extremely computer saavy person, I have to figure that there is a large population of BMW owners, especially those who are older, who must use only the most basic of I-Drive controls. It's not overly complicated but it does take a little while to master. After seeing my father fumble with the buttons on his Cadillac, I think that I-Drive would be like programming the VCR revisited.

All in all I do love the car and am almost regretting not taking a longer lease. Oh well, in 24 months either I'll still be here or maybe back to www.e90fanatics.com or somewhere else Love this site.
Old 04-29-2006 | 04:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Welcome, and glad you were reassured by their ability to find and order/cure with a proper part. Mine has been in for a week now, trying to track down an "Electronic Failure" warning that I get just about every morning, about 10-12 mins into my commute. BMWNA has given them a string of tests to perform, but nothing yet. In the meantime, I have a Hemi Charger (yee haw) rental as a loaner. Lots of straight line balls, but you want to be REAL careful pouring that thing into a curve....lol

Good luck, have fun,
Ray Hull
Old 04-29-2006 | 11:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

I'm glad that you're satisfied with your car. It was good that it was nothing more then the bad filter. Enjoy your car!