E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Service Engine Soon - Increased Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by carfucious
Did you find where in the hose assembly the leak was? this may be a common problem for the V8 cars. I am surprised that BMW isn't required to maintain this under the emissions warranty, that has saved me $$ a few times with other cars.
On GT1 I was getting an error ?Low pressure ? Emission system ? bank 1-4? or something like this. When I took the intake out, I didn?t see any cracks on the pipe (which is a common problem). To be on the safe site I decided to replace the plastic pipe and on the top of that I changed the valve (passenger site -> bank 1-4). I did 2000+ miles since and the code didn?t come back.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawid_w
Hi,

Wiring harness is just a big bundle full of wires ;-) There shouldn?t be too much of the rocket science there ;-)
When I was removing my intake manifold I noticed that the thermostat harness had broken plastic shield and the insulation was damaged a little bit. Maybe the whole problem you are having is a small short triggering the SES light.
My advice:
Instead of spending $2k buy the black insulation tape and a plastic protection shield. Then take out the acoustic engine cover (4 screws) and track the thermostat wire looking for damages.
If you are lucky maybe you will fix it for less than $10 ;-)
GL
Thank you. I will definitely try this. Cooldns.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SPF Cobra #1019

Originally Posted by 545LV
Just got back from the dealer and he said my 2005 545 "Increased Emission" was caused by a rubber hose under the intake manifold that was leaking. I don't know exactly what the dealerwas talking about and I am not paying them 1050.00 to fix it. The notice comes and goes but the car seems to run ok. Anyone heard of this problem?
Thanks
I had this exact problem. The dealer wanted $750 to replace the hose (which included pulling the intake). I had my local indy do it for less, and the CES light/message has not recurred.

Good luck,
Randy...
Old 11-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i e60

nice
Old 11-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i e60

Originally Posted by SKY545
So I was driving one night and out of no where my iDrive screen says "Increased Emissions" and the Service Engine Soon light turns on in the gauge cluster. I'm not sure what it could be, I scheduled an appointment to have it checked at my BMW dealership. Perhaps it could be the O2 Sensor? Thermostat? Has this happened to anyone..if so, what did it turn out to be? The engine continues to run like it always has, flawless. On a side note, one thing I did notice is that my MPG would always average between 20.8 MPG - 21.5 MPG for the last couple of years. Now, it displays 22.6 MPG constantly.

My car is a 2005 545i with 90k miles on it. All input/comments are appreciated.

Thanks

take a look at you exhaust system you could of have a leak by the one of you cat. or one of you muffler might not be good
i had a leak on my 2004 545i e60 , i fix it and it went away right away
Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

It's been sometime, but I wanted to provide an update on the situation I was having just in case anyone else may find this information useful. I continued to get the SES light with the thermostat code (frequently) even after the thermostat was changed and I did not spend the thousands to replace the wiring harness as advised by my previous SA. Recently I had an oil leak from my oil pressure switch and vacuum pump and decided to let my indy shop replace them. Immediately the SES light and thermostat code went away. I don't understand the connection between a thermostat fault (increased emissions) and either the oil pressure switch or vacuum pump, but the system is finally clear and has been for a month or so now!

I also changed the transmission fluid, filter kit (pan, gasket, etc.), and sealing sleeve but I doubt it had anything to do with the SES light and thermostat fault going away.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Members

My Ride: See signature

I had this problem intermittently. I had my indy check it out and they found nothing and reset it. The Service Engine Soon light was on when I took my car to the dealer for one of the recalls, they found nothing and reset it (my indy charged me nothing, the dealer charged me over $100). It would come on and with continued driving over a couple of weeks just go off. I don't know if there was a connection but finally one day I got the Service Engine Soon light but with the "Engine Malfunction" warning instead of just Increased Emissions. Took it to my indy and they replaced all of the spark plugs and the ignition coil for cylinder 1 (it was "shot", as the car was misfiring on several.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Originally Posted by Phil75070
I had this problem intermittently. I had my indy check it out and they found nothing and reset it. The Service Engine Soon light was on when I took my car to the dealer for one of the recalls, they found nothing and reset it (my indy charged me nothing, the dealer charged me over $100). It would come on and with continued driving over a couple of weeks just go off. I don't know if there was a connection but finally one day I got the Service Engine Soon light but with the "Engine Malfunction" warning instead of just Increased Emissions. Took it to my indy and they replaced all of the spark plugs and the ignition coil for cylinder 1 (it was "shot", as the car was misfiring on several.
A little over a year ago I had to replace the coil for cylinder 1 also, I remember seeing the "Engine Malfunction" come on the screen and had a code stored. The spark plugs were changed a couple months before this incident.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:24 PM
New Members

I am having a similar problem with my 530I. Recently, it has been running very sluggish way above 3000 RPMs and even losing power. Yesterday, my check engine light came on with a increased emissions warning.

Sounds like it could be a similar crank case vent valve. I am not much of a mechanic and have only done basics like changing oil's, spark plugs and brake pads. Do you think a inexperienced non mechanic could tackle the replacement of crankcase vent valve or thermostat?

Originally Posted by 1diver1
Mine was the crankcase vent valves. Under $50.00 in parts and you can find the diy stuff on here like stated before. My car started running rough after awhile (stalled when stopped) but at first I just had the warning light, for about a month.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: 04 BMW e60 (530i)

Originally Posted by SKY545
So I was driving one night and out of no where my iDrive screen says "Increased Emissions" and the Service Engine Soon light turns on in the gauge cluster. I'm not sure what it could be, I scheduled an appointment to have it checked at my BMW dealership. Perhaps it could be the O2 Sensor? Thermostat? Has this happened to anyone..if so, what did it turn out to be? The engine continues to run like it always has, flawless. On a side note, one thing I did notice is that my MPG would always average between 20.8 MPG - 21.5 MPG for the last couple of years. Now, it displays 22.6 MPG constantly.

My car is a 2005 545i with 90k miles on it. All input/comments are appreciated.

Thanks
Had the same issue occur after a 4 hour road trip without a gas cap. I guess I lost the gas cap while I was filling up for the ride but everything was fine until I got back into town and filled up again. Got constant warnings about gas cap being loose and then finally the dreaded yellow lit up haha. My Idrive told me I had increased emissions. Just ordered a new gas cap will keep you updated on what prevails.