E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Service engine light & module updates?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i

Hey fellow 5ers,

A few of you know that i've recently had terrible experience with an indie mechanic that changed my starter. Well anyways, the day my car got messed up the yellow service engine light appeared and even after getting the starter fixed it never went away. I tried clearing the code thinking it would be due to the starter change but it came back again. So i brought the car to a reputable bmw performance shop (VAC motorsports in Philly) and had them do a diagnostic. They had to reinstall the throttle body because the guy didnt do it correctly after he changed the starter. So i cleared the error code after the reinstall and it came back a couple days later.

I recently had an oil leak at the oil filter housing so i had the shop reseal the oil cooler as oil was leaking to the front of the engine. Just came back today from the shop to fix the said oil leak, and to get a diagnostic. They shop said the error code is probably NOT a result of the oil leak, i had the code reset but it will likely reappear soon.

Well they did a diagnostic and found the following codes:
Mix Control Bank 1 & 2
2A2E 3x (3x meaning 3 modules i think)
2A2F 3x

They said the codes could be showing up because i needed several modules updated. They recommended that i get these modules updated at the moment: Car access system (CAS), Program 6965050 > 9147215
Digital Motor/Diesel Electronics (DME/DDE), Program 7562778 > 7581246
Transmission Management (EGS/SMG), Program 7560710 > 7572855

I do not want to get these modules updated just to "try and see" if the error code disappears forever. I've also heard its pretty expensive to do so too... I'm scheduling an appointment to get a smoke test done this upcoming week so hopefully the problem will reveal itself. Anyways, the mechanics at the shop isn't really giving me a clear cut answer to this... So what do you guys think the problem could be?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

With the amount of money you may spend between Indie shops you could just go to a dealer and have them run the diagnostics.... I am all for Indie/Reputable shops but the "try and see" approach gets old quick when its your dime!

Good luck bro.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jaycal3
With the amount of money you may spend between Indie shops you could just go to a dealer and have them run the diagnostics.... I am all for Indie/Reputable shops but the "try and see" approach gets old quick when its your dime!

Good luck bro.
Thanks man, I completely agree. You do get the confidence going to the dealer. I just feel like dealers pretty much go about a similar approach. Rather than "try and see" they'll pretty much give you a definitive answer which could solve the problem, execute it, clear the code and tell you its fixed. I've read/heard too much about people not getting good service from certain dealers its unappetizing - thus my reasoning for reputable shops. One thing i regret most is not buying an e60 with warranty. Live and learn i guess
Old 12-30-2010, 04:38 AM
Members

woops double post
Old 12-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Good luck bro.
+1

eojj - Sometimes things just happen that way and the best thing to do is learn from it. If you don't have any official BMW diagnostic tools you may want to think about investing in them as they'll pay themselves off on the first use.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60

+1

eojj - Sometimes things just happen that way and the best thing to do is learn from it. If you don't have any official BMW diagnostic tools you may want to think about investing in them as they'll pay themselves off on the first use.
Yeah, I'll most likely have to get one soon.

Rather than all the random codes i originally posted,
Does anyone know if the engine service light would come up because it needs to update modules?
I just think its retarded that bmw would have this indicator go off bc it needs updates, not like theres anything wrong with the car. I'm thinking the service light is coming up for other reasons.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Does anyone know if the engine service light would come up because it needs to update modules?
The service lights would not come up if you need to update modules. The car doesn't know that there is an update even out there so how could it be programmed to let you know? In fact, why would you need to update modules all of a sudden and what will they fix? You're right, hat would be retarded. Now if you had different symptoms then perhaps a module update but that wouldn't set off the service indicator light. The codes you posted don't tell much actually besides probably fuel/air ratio and I do not have stats on your vehicle but if I were to take a 'guess' I would say that it could be several things. vaccum leak, air intake has changed. MAS is dirty, 02 sensors could be bad.

Check your air intake to make sure everything is tightened. Remember you could have separate issues. And that SI light is not the same SI light as before.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
The service lights would not come up if you need to update modules. The car doesn't know that there is an update even out there so how could it be programmed to let you know? In fact, why would you need to update modules all of a sudden and what will they fix? You're right, hat would be retarded. Now if you had different symptoms then perhaps a module update but that wouldn't set off the service indicator light. The codes you posted don't tell much actually besides probably fuel/air ratio and I do not have stats on your vehicle but if I were to take a 'guess' I would say that it could be several things. vaccum leak, air intake has changed. MAS is dirty, 02 sensors could be bad.

Check your air intake to make sure everything is tightened. Remember you could have separate issues. And that SI light is not the same SI light as before.
I thought so too. Going to take a look at the intake tomorrow, maybe clean the MAFS, and then get the smoke test done. Thanks bro & HAPPY NEW YEARS!
Old 01-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Members

If the throttle body was removed, try this. It needs to be readapted before you try to start the car afterr removing and replacing. Turn the ignition to the run position but do not start, wait for 15-20 seconds and turn key to off, then start the car. The mixture faults could be due to a vacuum leak. Try checking the integrity of the various vacuum hoses as they dry and crack. also make sure the the air intake boot that leads to the throttle body is stight at the clamps and that there are no cracks in the boot. you can also try spraying wd-40 around various areas of the intake system to check for a leaking manifold gasket. To do this, with the engine running, spray wd-40 around suspected areas of the leak, if the engine tone changes, (ie smooths out then runs rough) you have isolated a leak to that area. Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Members

oh, and another thing is that it could be the rubber seal between the throttle body and the intake manifold. Especially if the fault is coming up on both banks 1 and 2.

Quick Reply: Service engine light & module updates?