E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Service center customizable preferences

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Nice work Jason! Lomag, I think this is a listing that should be added to (our dated) FAQ!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='422272' date='May 8 2007, 12:40 PM
Nice work Jason! Lomag, I think this is a listing that should be added to (our dated) FAQ!

Can all that be updated from the i drive?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by rjcastr' post='422287' date='May 8 2007, 07:46 PM
Can all that be updated from the i drive?
I won't tell you, lets see if you work it out from the Title of this thread.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='422318' date='May 8 2007, 09:09 PM
I won't tell you, lets see if you work it out from the Title of this thread.
classic
Old 05-09-2007, 01:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

So, back from the dealer....

Taught him a thing or two thanks to the above list

Didn't have time to go through all details but established a relationship that allows for more information exchange than the general user.

Got one tip (haven't tried yet and may already be on the forum): to deactivate the electronics that stabilise your car (antislip antiskid) you can hit the button. This just moves the boundaries and allows more self control over how you choose to drive. Keeping the button pressed however, should REALLY turn it off. Off as in: where your car ends up is really in your own hands now.

If someone has a lot of space and can try this, we'd all like to know.

I'd also appreciate a short description of what lights are on when DRL is enabled: is it just the LED's or is it also the headlights?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Members

I called my dealer about getting the fold windows when locked option set. They said it would cost me ?40 for them to do this. Ive only have the car a week !!.

Being my first Beemer - is this the norm ?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMDiesel' post='422472' date='May 9 2007, 11:32 AM
So, back from the dealer....

Taught him a thing or two thanks to the above list

Didn't have time to go through all details but established a relationship that allows for more information exchange than the general user.

Got one tip (haven't tried yet and may already be on the forum): to deactivate the electronics that stabilise your car (antislip antiskid) you can hit the button. This just moves the boundaries and allows more self control over how you choose to drive. Keeping the button pressed however, should REALLY turn it off. Off as in: where your car ends up is really in your own hands now.

If someone has a lot of space and can try this, we'd all like to know.
I'd also appreciate a short description of what lights are on when DRL is enabled: is it just the LED's or is it also the headlights?
You're absolutely right about the DTC! Press once and some functions in the system gets deactivated. Press n hold and the system turns off which is also indicated in the instrument cluster...and you're on your own...

My car have the following lights turned on with light switch set in auto (DRL):
Corona rings. Both inner and outer with inner rings a lot brighter.
Side position LEDs, front(amber) and back(red).
Light rods in rear lights.
Eyebrows.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Scandic24' post='422572' date='May 9 2007, 07:27 PM
My car have the following lights turned on with light switch set in auto (DRL):
Corona rings. Both inner and outer with inner rings a lot brighter.
Side position LEDs, front(amber) and back(red).
Light rods in rear lights.
Eyebrows.
So you have Xenon, as you have the corona's (Angel Eyes). I don't have those.
not sure what you mean with the light rods and eyebrows.
EDIT: just read another topic about the LCI and DLR's I don't think I have the rods (I have a 2005 european model)

I suppose that when the light switch is one step to the right, its the same as DLR in the US. If I put daylight driving lights to ON in the I-drive, then it's the same as two steps to the right or auto-light (one to the left)

but am going outside (it's dark now) to look at it
EDIT: no I'm not: it's raining out there.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vji6697' post='422568' date='May 9 2007, 07:07 PM
I called my dealer about getting the fold windows when locked option set. They said it would cost me ?40 for them to do this. Ive only have the car a week !!.

Being my first Beemer - is this the norm ?
I usually have a long list of stuff I want them to do during a regular service. I can only tell you what I do: I ask once and then tell them what I want different than default. But I always talk (and listen) to the technical people, not sales, not counterpeople. Also helps to tell about you and your car, they're car people: they like cars but can't drive them all day the way I do so I share the passion.

just my two cents.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I would have sworn I posted this long time ago, but I did not try to search for it since it probably serves more use here than where ever it was at.

SI B 09 03 98
Programming/Coding Explanations May 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletins supersedes S.I. 09 03 98 dated November 2005.

Changes have been made to "Att6 CKM E83" and are identified by a black bar.

SUBJECT
"Car and Key Memory" (CKM) Configuration

MODEL
E38, E65, E66 (7 Series)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

E39, E60 (5 Series)

E46, E90 (3 Series)

E53 (X5)

E52 (Z8)

E85 (Z4)

E83 (X3)

SITUATION
For all E90 models there is no more CKM available. All the functions known as CKM will be customer selectable on vehicles produced from 9/05 on. The new system is called Personal Profile. Additional information about Personal Profile is available in SBT 00 08 04 and SI B09 03 05.

Important: Due to the variations in hardware and software, it is recommended that "Print List" is selected prior to programming. "Print List" will give an overview of the available Car and Key Memory options for that specific vehicle.

Introduced for the first time on 1999 E46 models, "Car Memory/Key Memory" is an additional step towards customization of a vehicle according to an owner's individual preferences. Those features are incorporated in Coding/Programming and the scope of customization depends on the equipment installed in the vehicle.

DISPlus/GT1 Software allows for the selection of "Car Memory" choices in E38 and E39s produced prior to 9/98 depending on the vehicle hardware/software status. "Key Memory" is not available for E38 and E39 vehicles produced prior to 9/98.

"Car Memory" includes functions which are activated regardless of the vehicle key being used.

"Key Memory" contains functions which can be different depending on the vehicle key used. The vehicle key is identified during "unlocking", only when remote control is used (functions are inoperative during "manual" unlocking). Up to four different keys for the E46, E53, E52, E60, E65, E83, E85 vehicles, and two keys for the E38 and E39 can be customized (upon delivery, the customer is provided with two remote control transmitters).

The table below summarizes the most important options of the "Car/Key Memory" program which should be discussed with the customer during the sales consultation.

Car Memory
Key Memory

Daytime Driving Lights
Last Seat Position

Pathway Lighting
Last IHKA (Climate Control) Settings

DWA Acknowledgment Configuration
Selective Central Locking

Automatic Door Locking after drive off

The customer must be informed about possible choices before delivery by filling out a selection sheet (attached). The questionnaire is a three-part form: one copy stays with the customer, one goes to sales department, and the last to service department. According to the customer choices, the vehicle should be customized during the QC 1. Selection changes during the ownership period are not reimbursable under warranty. The customer should not be charged for the coding. Individualizing your customer's vehicle is an important contribution to a positive customer experience.

"Car & Key Memory", allows a printout of the functions which can be coded in the vehicle. The list will contain the actual settings and the available settings, as well as the factory defaults. This list can be printed out under the heading "Print List" in the "Car & Key Memory" program, or using the print button in CIP for E60, E63, E64, E65, E66, E83 and E85.

Any additional features listed in the attachments may also be coded, but we recommend that they should be discussed with customers at a later date during a service consultation and upon customer request or inquiry.

Attachment "B090398_Att2_CKMSet" itemizes all available "Car and Key Memory" options for the E38, E39, E46, E53, and E52 vehicles.

Attachment "B090398_Att3_CKM_E65" itemizes all available "Car and Key Memory" options for the E65 and E66 vehicles.

Attachment "B090398_Att4_CKM_E85" itemizes all available "Car and Key Memory" options for the E85 vehicles.

Attachment "B090398_Att5_CKM_E60" itemizes all available "Car and Key Memory" options for the E60, E63 and E64 vehicles.

Attachment "B090398_Att6_CKM_E83" itemizes all available "Car and Key Memory" options for the E83 vehicles.

PROCEDURE
Note: All control units must be installed and functional.

If any errors appear during coding any functions of the "Car/Key Memory", the fault memory should be interrogated with a "Quick Test" and any faults stored should be rectified first. No faults are to be stored in the control units when changing the "Car/Key Memory" options. Also, "Error in Program Run" will be displayed if control modules used for "Car and Key Memory" are not coded correctly.

Vehicles equipped with DSP must have the radio turned "ON".

Before coding CKM, the customer must be informed about possible choices before delivery by filling out a Customer Selection form. Please refer to attachment "B090398_att1_CKMFrm"

Connect the vehicle to an approved BMW battery charger. If battery voltage drops too low, the coding procedure will be terminated.

Using DISplus/GT1 or Software Service Station (SSS), and with the diagnostic head connected to the vehicle, select Coding/Programming.

Car and Key Memory for E60, E63, E64, E65, E66, E83 and E85 vehicles:

Select option "CIP", then press the forward arrow. The initial CIP screen is then displayed.

Select the appropriate vehicle model.

Press the "CKM" button at the screen with the text "Program SELECTION: Load software, Car & Key Memory (CKM)".

The CKM screen displays all available CKM functions, their current settings, and the factory default setting.Note: When selecting the text of each functionality, a popup screen will show further information about the selection.

Make CKM selections according to the customer request.

Press "Encode Car"

Press "Save", and a screen is displayed with green check marks to confirm that the VKM selections have programmed correctly.

Press "Finish" to return to the selection screen, with the new selections marked accordingly.

Car Memory procedure for E38, E39, E46, E53, and E52 vehicles:

Select "CAR MEMORY".

After a short period of time the menu screen will be displayed with a list of all detected control systems capable of Car Memory configuration.

Using the owner's selection list, enter the system selected for customization. If other features are to be programmed, the "Print List" feature should be selected.

From the system submenu select the function to be altered.

Make the appropriate selection (activation/deactivation). The following symbols may be displayed next to the selection choice:

"=" - sign indicates present status

"*" - sign indicates factory default (when present vehicle selection is different)

">" - sign indicates entered change in selection.

After pressing the "continue" arrow, the system will accept the change in selection and the CAR MEMORY main menu will be displayed. If additional changes are required, enter the appropriate system and repeat steps from above.

When all of the required CAR MEMORY configuration changes are entered, scroll down to the bottom of the main menu. Three selections are available:

"97" - brings back the factory setting in all systems

"98" - rejects entered changes

"99" - set changes

After selecting "99 SET VEHICLE", all configuration changes are displayed. Check the displayed list against the owner's selection sheet to make sure that all of the choices were included. Print the list and place it in the vehicle service file for future reference.

To continue, press the arrow button. The display will request to cycle the ignition. Turn the ignition switch off, then switch back on. Press "Yes" to continue. A bar progress indicator is displayed along with current battery voltage. This portion of the configuration process varies in duration based on the total number of selections.

Important:

Observe the battery voltage level during the configuration. A low voltage condition will terminate the process or will incorrectly configure the vehicle.

When the display changes to "Vehicle setting completed", turn the ignition off for 10 seconds and turn it back on again. Verify the configuration changes by activating the new functions.

Key Memory Procedure for E38, E39, E46, E53, and E52 vehicles:

Select "KEY MEMORY".

After a short period of time the system will display a key number selection list (only two remote keys are supplied with new vehicle). The display also shows the identification number of the last used key (helpful to identify the key if the labels are misplaced or are missing).

Using the owner's selection list, select the key for Key Memory assignment, and press arrow to continue. System is going to scan for all available key memory functions for the specific key. If other features are to be programmed, the "Print List" feature should be selected.

From the system main menu select function to be altered. Following procedure steps are similar to the CAR MEMORY procedure.

A separate programming procedure must be carried out for the second key. To identify keys, attach color label at the back of each key (labels are supplied with the vehicle).

Recommended labeling (illustration shows the old style of key, prior to 09/99):
Key 1- Red
Key 2- Blue
If additional keys were ordered:
Key 3- Grey
Key 4- Green

For the new style of key (from 09/99), labeling procedure is similar.

Note:

If the additional remote control keys have been ordered, they have to be initialized along with two original keys. To initialize the keys, proceed as follows:

Enter the vehicle and close the doors.

Briefly (max. 5 seconds) turn the ignition on and off again.

Remove key; press and hold "unlock" button. While holding "unlock" button, rapidly press "lock" button 3 times within a period of 10 seconds.

Release "unlock" button. The LED flashes slowly for a maximum of 10 seconds.

The central locking system activates and releases all locks in rapid succession to indicate that the initialization procedure has been successful. If LED continues to flash or if the locking system fails to respond, the initialization procedure will have to be repeated.

To initialize additional remote control keys (make sure that no more then 30 seconds elapse between each initialization procedure) repeat steps 3 and 4.Note: The ignition does not have to be cycled on/off for additional key initialization.

The initialization sequence defines the numbering of the keys in "Key Memory" program. The first key to be initialized automatically receives number one and should be labeled accordingly.

Important:

Key numbers in "Key Memory" programming may be different from key numbering sequence used in EWS system (EWS number is permanently assigned to a key, while the "Key Memory" number can be changed with the next initialization).

WARRANTY INFORMATION
For information only.

ATTACHMENTS
view PDF attachment B090398_Att1_CKMFrm.
view PDF attachment B090398_Att2_CKMSet.
view PDF attachment B090398_Att3_CKM_E65.
view PDF attachment B090398_Att4_CKM_E85.
view PDF attachment B090398_Att5_CKM_E60. (ATTACHED)
view PDF attachment B090398Att6_CKM_E83.

B090398_Att5_CKM_E60.pdf

Quick Reply: Service center customizable preferences