E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Serpentine Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine Belt Replacement

I been Googling for hours trying to find the concrete answer for my question. Does our E60 have 1 or 2 belts running the components? (AC, water pump, alternator, power steering, etc..)

Driving home today, my car flashes CHARGE MALFUNCTION. I get home and pop the hood and I see belt shrapnel everywhere. I was able to locate what was left of one belt and removed it. Not sure if there is a second belt.

Can anyone point me into right direction? How many belts do we have? Is there a tutorial on how to install new one? All I could find on Youtube was belt replacement for E90 engine, which looks similar to E60. Are they the same?

Thanks for ANY help.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I could only speak to the N62 in my 04 545i. I know I have 2 Belts. One for the Accessories (Water Pump, Alternator etc) and 1 for the AC.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:58 AM
Members

Thanks for the reply. But after some more Googling I think I found my answer. My engine, the N52, is a single belt drive.

And for future reference for anyone else with same question, this is the belt I got.

Goodyear/Continental 4060785 Serpentine Belt. I've read these "gatorback" belts are pretty good.

Last edited by deltabox; 06-28-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:02 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

At what mileage did your belt fail?
Did you notice any cracks in the belt or squealing before happened?
Old 06-28-2016, 01:18 PM
New Members

Oil leaking on the belt can lead to premature failure.

Check to make sure none of the belt was wrapped around the crankshaft pulley. There are some horror stories on here about belts getting caught around the pulley shaft and pulled through the seal into the engine.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:22 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

Sorry to read that you are having trouble.
As other members have written there is only two belts

A small belt that runs your AC which is down on the Left hand bottom corner when you are looking from the front of your engine.
The second belt and the one that broke on your car is the main belt.

Depending on your car, it can be very easy to change or a little difficult.

Do you have a large cooling fan that is running from your engine (manuel transmission)? or do you have the plastic electric cooling fan (auto tranmission)?

Both have to be removed for fitting but the electric is by far the easiest as no special tool is needed.

The E90 replacment video is close enough to being the same as yours for replacement

If you are having trouble just send me a PM and ill take some pictures of my car or a video and send it to you!
Dont be scared to ask!

Originally Posted by deltabox
I been Googling for hours trying to find the concrete answer for my question. Does our E60 have 1 or 2 belts running the components? (AC, water pump, alternator, power steering, etc..)

Driving home today, my car flashes CHARGE MALFUNCTION. I get home and pop the hood and I see belt shrapnel everywhere. I was able to locate what was left of one belt and removed it. Not sure if there is a second belt.

Can anyone point me into right direction? How many belts do we have? Is there a tutorial on how to install new one? All I could find on Youtube was belt replacement for E90 engine, which looks similar to E60. Are they the same?

Thanks for ANY help.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:18 PM
New Members

Default belt picture

here is a diagram of the two belts

so you will need to release the tension and remove the AC belt to enable you to put your new belt on
But if I was you, I would be replacing both belts
Attached Files
File Type: docx
belts.docx (25.0 KB, 308 views)
Old 06-30-2016, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by E60Japanese
here is a diagram of the two belts

so you will need to release the tension and remove the AC belt to enable you to put your new belt on
But if I was you, I would be replacing both belts
The N52 engine only has one belt.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:27 PM
New Members

Very good point !

Originally Posted by txag_530i
The N52 engine only has one belt.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:27 PM
Members

Thanks for the replies guys. As Txag pointing out, my N52 engine only has 1 belt. I already purchased it and going to (attempt) install it this weekend. I let you know how it goes.

@InsipMonkey: I did see some oil stains in some areas of my engine that weren't there before. Oil could have gotten on the belt somehow and caused a pre-mature breakage. Not sure. Or just maybe I hit that mileage mark where I should of had it changed out.

My car has about 80K miles on it.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Replacement