E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Serious wheel shaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

With my new OEM M172 wheels and tires (see my sign down below for details)
I have a really bad "car shake" if the car has not driven for a few days.
It's not a small quiver that one feels in the steering wheel, but a shake down.

After some 5 miles or so driving, the "car shake" seems to end.
But even after that the empty passenger seat seams to have it's own party,
and the whole car kind of trembles but the steering wheel is "easy".

Did go for higher tire pressures but it didn't help.

Seems like the rear 275/30 19" wheels are not in balance but is there anything else wrong?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Members

Did you get it balanced when you had it installed?
When is the last time you had your tires balanced?

Are they tightened/torqued properly? I mean your rims.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by 545iBMW' post='596249' date='Jun 5 2008, 08:43 PM
Did you get it balanced when you had it installed?
When is the last time you had your tires balanced?

Are they tightened/torqued properly? I mean your rims.

No, but the wheels and tires are brand new.

They came (from Germany to Finland) installed and balanced, but with a lot of "install grease" on them!

Tightened and torqued properly.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

At first is sounds as though your tires are developing flat spots from being parked for a few days. After driving for a bit the tires heat up, these flat spots round out and the problem goes away. I think mild flat spotting pretty normal with soft tires.

But your problem seems to be more serious than this, I would definetly have someone take a look at it.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Members

A salesman from my local tire/rim store once told me that tires that are stored vertically rather than horizontally will eventually loose its right shape. So, I would think your tires might have been an old stock (even thought they are new) and was improperly stored. Or was shipped to you via ground and was stowed vertically in a delivery truck.

Have your tires balanced again to make sure your tires are perfectly round and in good shape.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Your tires are simply suffering from flat-spotting. No real harm being done. Mine flat-spot if I leave it sitting more than a day. My passenger seat has the Shakemaster 2000 installed in it, too.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by 545iBMW' post='596263' date='Jun 5 2008, 08:56 PM
A salesman from my local tire/rim store once told me that tires that are stored vertically rather than horizontally will eventually loose its right shape. So, I would think your tires might have been an old stock (even thought they are new) and was improperly stored. Or was shipped to you via ground and was stowed vertically in a delivery truck.

Have your tires balanced again to make sure your tires are perfectly round and in good shape.
+1
I had couple of bad tyres except they were new. Even though the balancing machine was giving good readings, you could see the unroundness of the tyre. There were about 1mm throw that could be seen when spinning the wheel.

You could ask the technician to spin the tyre on the wheel 1/2 round and rebalance. Sometimes this helps. As you know very well, BMW's are very sensitive to this kind of issues.

I ordered those bad tyres from Germany too (Rengas-Online). I reclamated and they send me another pair of tyres. It took half a year waiting the decision from the manufacturer if the reclamation was rightful or not. Eventually they replied it was, which I knew all the time...
Old 06-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='596268' date='Jun 5 2008, 08:02 PM
Your tires are simply suffering from flat-spotting. No real harm being done. Mine flat-spot if I leave it sitting more than a day. My passenger seat has the Shakemaster 2000 installed in it, too.
+1 ... my tyres have been balanced and rebalanced more times than i care to remember, and the final verdict is flat spots. The thumpiness is worst in the early mornings and when I get back into the car after work in the evening, and it eventually goeas away - takes longer to go on colder days though. Had this problem in my E39 as well.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Contributors

Thanks guys This is the Forum!

But flat spots can't be the answer, I just will not take that bull****.
These tires are made for a market of everyday drivers.

So, this is an example of what the small problems of net-shopping can be.
It's not that easy to go and give your reclamation to a person/company
some thousands of miles away.

But some chatting will be done between the seller an me.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='596299' date='Jun 5 2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys This is the Forum!

But flat spots can't be the answer, I just will not take that bull****.
These tires are made for a market of everyday drivers.
Ric, I think you got good advice already. The posters that suggested flat spotting are dead on. The fact that it disappears after a couple of miles is why it is easy to pinpoint the culprit. A lot of very good tires are prone to it, and annoying as may be is for a mile or two it's temporary and usually nothing to worry about. As the tire warms up, the shape returns. You'll notice it a lot less in the summer. The Sport Maxx is a good tire, the temporary flat spotting is just a consequence of the compound and tire construction.

Quick Reply: Serious wheel shaking