E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Serious Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

It's happened to me too, what stikes me as odd is that the car seem to drive fine, does anyone know how safe it is to drive around with these messages on the dash. I mean is the car's safety compromised?

First problem with new 550i, 2,700 miles, still lovin this car
Old 08-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Originally Posted by jochet' post='322320' date='Aug 13 2006, 10:07 PM
It's happened to me too, what stikes me as odd is that the car seem to drive fine, does anyone know how safe it is to drive around with these messages on the dash. I mean is the car's safety compromised?
At first I was told I could keep driving , moderately, as they say. Once my car was in, I was told that they were not releasing cars while they located the part because it was a safety issue. Maybe they were being very careful in our litigous age, but there have been some scary reports here of loss of control attributed to this problem.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Contributors

Its like chickenpox. I just got my sensor warnings today at 2300 miles. I feel special now!
Old 09-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by the_maxx_guy' post='251956' date='Mar 9 2006, 12:38 AM
Hi folks,

So today, as I was driving back home from work, I got this weird malfunction on the car. The lights came on in my HUD, and my IDRIVE Screen.

1. Drive Control syst.! Drive moderately
2. Start-off assistance inactive!

And two more lights came on in the center instrument cluster. The brake light, but in orange, and a DSC kind of light, but also in ORANGE. So I immediately pulled over, and turned the car off. Got out and inspected the car. It was around 6:30 pm today. I go back into the car, started it up, and the error messages are not longer there. I was relieved but also concerned. SINCE, the day I got this car, while being driven towards the dealership, this message did popup, and the PORTER who was driving the car, explained that they have to PREP the car, so these lights are normal, the car is not ready. I let it go then. But seeing it again today, I got a little concerned.

Anways I started driving again, and all of a sudden the lights came back on. This time, I pulled over, didn't stop the car, but went into IDRIVE, SERVICE MENU, and looked up these messgaes in detail. Basically they were telling me to drive moderately and take the car to BMW at next opportunity. I immediately took pictures of everything with my TREO 650 so I can show it to my dealership as evidence, since I ONLY HAVE 575 miles on the car. I recieved the car with 227 miles on it. My dealer had to do a big TRADE with another dealer, who did another trade...blah blah..I hope they didn't screw it up in the original 227 miles !!!

But in any case, I am going to take the 550 in for service tomorrow morning. I am already pretty tired of the BRAKING SYSTEM. THE CAR JUST DOESN'T STOP properly. I have tried all the tricks mentioned here on these forums and also on bimmerfest on how to get used to comfort stop. THE CAR JUST GRABS THE BRAKES AT THE LAST MINUTE, and gives everyone a big JERK. I told my dealer about it, and he said that they will look into it. Now I have this another thing to show to them, with picture proof, since I am sure when I take the car to the dealer, it will not show any errors anywhere, and they may say, unable to produce condition. NOW I HAVE PICTURES. Hopefully, that will help their shop foreman.

Anyone else had experience with similar stuff, your input would be appreciated. My car is 11/05 build. Take a look at the picture below.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Members

I had the same problem with my car today at only 1300 miles. I immediately went to the dealership where my SA told me he knew exactly what was wrong with it. He stated that BMW had been thinking about issuing a recall on this issue but did not have sufficient supply of parts to issue it until recently. He stated that it would only take 3 hours to finish it and I should be able to pick it up tomorrow. (I stressed that I needed it done immediately as I am moving and driving 600 miles to my new destination). Hopefully they'll fix whats wrong with it and it'll be done with. It's kind of disappointing to have a problem like this with only 1300 miles on the odometer
Old 09-21-2006, 11:11 AM
dsi
Members

Same exact symptoms, and idrive codes. Happened once so far. Setting up my appointment right now. Thanks for all the info everyone

-dsi
2006 Silver Gray 550i
Old 09-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Members

dealer just called me. told me everything was fixed. i'm going to pick it up in a few hours.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW-Alpina B5 Touring #007, Malachite Green w/ Caramel Individual interior 1999 BMW 840Ci Sport Individual, Techno Violet w/ Champagne Individual interior

Reviving this old topic - my Alpina just suffered this same fault the other day - going to the stealer on Wednesday for its fix - and guess when my car was built - October 2005, pretty much the same time as everyone else with the same problem - glad it happened before my warranty ran out, really, though in truth it sounds like a manufacturing fault (and I'm going to get the warranty extended anyway).
Old 06-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by the_maxx_guy' post='251956' date='Mar 9 2006, 12:38 AM
Hi folks,

So today, as I was driving back home from work, I got this weird malfunction on the car. The lights came on in my HUD, and my IDRIVE Screen.

1. Drive Control syst.! Drive moderately
2. Start-off assistance inactive!

And two more lights came on in the center instrument cluster. The brake light, but in orange, and a DSC kind of light, but also in ORANGE. So I immediately pulled over, and turned the car off. Got out and inspected the car. It was around 6:30 pm today. I go back into the car, started it up, and the error messages are not longer there. I was relieved but also concerned. SINCE, the day I got this car, while being driven towards the dealership, this message did popup, and the PORTER who was driving the car, explained that they have to PREP the car, so these lights are normal, the car is not ready. I let it go then. But seeing it again today, I got a little concerned.

Anways I started driving again, and all of a sudden the lights came back on. This time, I pulled over, didn't stop the car, but went into IDRIVE, SERVICE MENU, and looked up these messgaes in detail. Basically they were telling me to drive moderately and take the car to BMW at next opportunity. I immediately took pictures of everything with my TREO 650 so I can show it to my dealership as evidence, since I ONLY HAVE 575 miles on the car. I recieved the car with 227 miles on it. My dealer had to do a big TRADE with another dealer, who did another trade...blah blah..I hope they didn't screw it up in the original 227 miles !!!

But in any case, I am going to take the 550 in for service tomorrow morning. I am already pretty tired of the BRAKING SYSTEM. THE CAR JUST DOESN'T STOP properly. I have tried all the tricks mentioned here on these forums and also on bimmerfest on how to get used to comfort stop. THE CAR JUST GRABS THE BRAKES AT THE LAST MINUTE, and gives everyone a big JERK. I told my dealer about it, and he said that they will look into it. Now I have this another thing to show to them, with picture proof, since I am sure when I take the car to the dealer, it will not show any errors anywhere, and they may say, unable to produce condition. NOW I HAVE PICTURES. Hopefully, that will help their shop foreman.

Anyone else had experience with similar stuff, your input would be appreciated. My car is 11/05 build. Take a look at the picture below.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Sorry for reviving such an old topic. Does anyone know where to find the recall notice? I have an 06 CPO and I want to check if mine (525XI) was listed. TIA.

Joe

Quick Reply: Serious Malfunction?