E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Serious Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by Heather Leigh' post='304897' date='Jun 28 2006, 09:51 PM
Did you lose braking ability as well? That is the only thing I haven't heard other people experience. Thank goodness it was only for about five miles, but I was about to pull the E Brake.
Well, hello. I saw your post over on bimmerfest.com. Glad to see you made it over here and I hope you get your car fixed.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Members

Well hi there Jiio! You might not remember...but this is the same black with chrome wheels and M Aero kit '06 550 that I was fighting for. The lease that they wanted to fit me with seemed strange. In any case, the only other thing we have had real problems with is the steering wheel. The steering wheel had these very ugly bumps on it, and it was scheduled to come in to be fixed the day after this other problem. They put me in this stripped down X3 for a loaner and I just want my car back so badly It seems like it could be some time, unfortunately.

A pic to refresh your memory:

Old 06-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by Heather Leigh' post='304908' date='Jun 28 2006, 10:09 PM
Well hi there Jiio! You might not remember...but this is the same black with chrome wheels and M Aero kit '06 550 that I was fighting for. The lease that they wanted to fit me with seemed strange. In any case, the only other thing we have had real problems with is the steering wheel. The steering wheel had these very ugly bumps on it, and it was scheduled to come in to be fixed the day after this other problem. They put me in this stripped down X3 for a loaner and I just want my car back so badly It seems like it could be some time, unfortunately.

A pic to refresh your memory:

Looking over the threads in bimmerfest.com, yes I do remember now commenting on your choice of exterior color: black! That was the color I wanted over Titanium Gray but it's too high maintenance.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jiio' post='304914' date='Jun 28 2006, 10:40 PM
Looking over the threads in bimmerfest.com, yes I do remember now commenting on your choice of exterior color: black! That was the color I wanted over Titanium Gray but it's too high maintenance.
Luckily I know some great clearbra guys who did an excellent clearbra job, (ventureshield not 3M http://www.clearbraoregon.com) and I have a great detailer. Otherwise, I would've probably opted for gray as well. I've always wanted black with chrome...just something about it gets my heart racing. True, it is very high maintenance, but this really is what I wanted. I accepted the extra work and expense. My husband took it to a soft brush car wash and it has slight swirl marks now :'( but the detailer can take care of it.

It would've killed me to use the E Brake, so I'm glad I didn't have to, but I have to say that it was quite a scary ride. There were just so many warnings going off I was beginning to think the car was posessed!

Does anyone who is experiencing this same issue know an ETA for the backorder?
Old 06-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Members

Just talked with my SA and she said they have 3 cars in with the same problem. Mine is not the only one that had braking issues. They said that anything electronic can malfunction on the car when the SZL Module goes out. They expect a recall, but BMW USA seemed to be unaware of the problem.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Originally Posted by Heather Leigh' post='305671' date='Jun 30 2006, 07:48 PM
Just talked with my SA and she said they have 3 cars in with the same problem. Mine is not the only one that had braking issues. They said that anything electronic can malfunction on the car when the SZL Module goes out. They expect a recall, but BMW USA seemed to be unaware of the problem.
I'm pretty sure BMW USA is aware of this now. While my car was in a new bulletin apparently came out that told the dealers not to let us drive with the problem, although originally I was told I could drive it with no problems. It seems you might not be the only one that had a real safety incident.

As for your earlier question, availability is likely based on allocation based on dealer volumes and how savvy your service department is. It sounds like some people here had dealers that still had stock on a national backordered item. Most are coming from Germany.

Good luck. Eventually, you will be back to driving it
Old 06-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Jet Black 530I, Sport & Premium Pkg. Steptronic

I just got my jet black back after 3 weeks in the body shop for hail damage, and as soon as I get in my baby, those same error appear. To the dealer on Monday, or Wednesday. After 3 weeks of rentals (insurance), I am just happy to have her back.

2006 530I, Jet Black, premium\Sport pkg, NAV
Old 06-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Contributors

Add me to the list as well. I got the same i-drive and dash messages re: drive assist and amber lit brake warning light. Mine is also a 11/2005 build. My symptom was a disabling of the clutch or hill assist (I have a manual tranny). It happened at the most opportune time while on my way to the dealer to have the oil/filter changed at exactly 2,000 miles. Took the dealer a whole day and then some to re-program. According to the invoice I now have version 21.02.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:09 AM
Members

I'm pretty sure BMW USA is aware of this now.
I spoke with several Customer Relations Supervisors today and none had any clue. If they are aware, they wouldn't divulge that to me. Perhaps it is a possible legal issue, and I imagine it very well could be with their dealerships telling people to drive potentially unsafe cars. My dealership says my parts should be in next week, I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Heather Leigh' post='305755' date='Jul 1 2006, 02:09 AM
I spoke with several Customer Relations Supervisors today and none had any clue. If they are aware, they wouldn't divulge that to me. Perhaps it is a possible legal issue, and I imagine it very well could be with their dealerships telling people to drive potentially unsafe cars. My dealership says my parts should be in next week, I'm not going to hold my breath.
Heather, just wondering whether you had any update on this and/or did you get your car back? Mine went in on 6/26 for the same issues and I've just spoken with my SA for an update. The part is still on backorder and the dealer was unable to give me any firm ETA other than it's apparently been taking around four weeks on average to get these specific parts delivered so it looks like I'm in for a long wait...

Quick Reply: Serious Malfunction?