E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Serious Engine Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

My 05 545 has a noticeable chatter noise that sounds like a diesel engine. It's most noticeable after a cold start, but is always present to some degree. With the hood open, its seems to be coming from the left (passenger) side of the engine at the cylinder head.

So far, BMW has replaced all 16 lifters on that side, plus a vacuum pump that runs off the exhaust camshaft. The noise is as loud now as it was before these parts were replaced. I'm dropping it off again Thursday and the FSE will listen to it on Friday. A cam tensioner has already been ordered and may be installed, depending on what the FSE says.

I have researched this problem here and know I'm not the only one who has experiencing it. It doesn't seem to affect performance, but it sure is annoying. The engine did not make this noise when the car was new, but started almost a year and about 12,000 miles later, during the winter months. It has gotten progressively worse since then, but BMW said they couldn't hear it the first couple of times I mentioned it. This last service visit they said they did hear it and after a few calls to BMW's Tech Support, the above mentioned parts were installed.

Has anyone on this board had this problem resolved and if so, how was it done? I'd appreicate any assitance and insights any of you may have. Thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by branie555' post='341432' date='Oct 3 2006, 09:18 PM
My 05 545 has a noticeable chatter noise that sounds like a diesel engine. It's most noticeable after a cold start, but is always present to some degree. With the hood open, its seems to be coming from the left (passenger) side of the engine at the cylinder head.

So far, BMW has replaced all 16 lifters on that side, plus a vacuum pump that runs off the exhaust camshaft. The noise is as loud now as it was before these parts were replaced. I'm dropping it off again Thursday and the FSE will listen to it on Friday. A cam tensioner has already been ordered and may be installed, depending on what the FSE says.

I have researched this problem here and know I'm not the only one who has experiencing it. It doesn't seem to affect performance, but it sure is annoying. The engine did not make this noise when the car was new, but started almost a year and about 12,000 miles later, during the winter months. It has gotten progressively worse since then, but BMW said they couldn't hear it the first couple of times I mentioned it. This last service visit they said they did hear it and after a few calls to BMW's Tech Support, the above mentioned parts were installed.

Has anyone on this board had this problem resolved and if so, how was it done? I'd appreicate any assitance and insights any of you may have. Thanks
This problem has been discussed indepth on this forum as you may already know or searched, but a resolution? That's tough. I'd push for a new engine and tell them not to waste your time diagnosing and replacing different parts only to get hits and misses. On the other hand, if they offer a comparable loaner, let them have at it.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I had the same problem. The fse mandated the dealer to replace my Cam Chain Tensioner and the noise went away 90%.

However, after a year, 50% of the noises came back. I am learning to live with it because 90% of the noise will go away within 5 minutes of driving.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='341471' date='Oct 3 2006, 11:17 PM
This problem has been discussed indepth on this forum as you may already know or searched, but a resolution? That's tough. I'd push for a new engine and tell them not to waste your time diagnosing and replacing different parts only to get hits and misses. On the other hand, if they offer a comparable loaner, let them have at it.

I'm aware of the previous discussion, thanks. I'm just trying to keep up with any new developments on this issue.