E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SERIOUS crosswind issues.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

I dont think any car manufacture can design a car to be perfect in all possible wind pattern scenarios. Cars with more slab side designs are simply more affected by crosswinds.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

Drove back home 150km yesterday with strong wind, open area (A31 Germany)
Car was stable at 180km/h although some minor steering corrections were needed.
Judging by the speed and driving style from the other cars on the road, I~d say the E60 is much less sensitive to crosswinds than the average car.

p.s. I have 16 inch (new) Vredestein Xtreme wintertires
Old 12-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='511926' date='Dec 30 2007, 05:59 PM
I dont think any car manufacture can design a car to be perfect in all possible wind pattern scenarios. Cars with more slab side designs are simply more affected by crosswinds.
Agree with you - but mine is not acceptable in these conditions. It's not wind in general (it's fine when head on) rather when it's a crosswind.

In contrast my wife has a Vauxhall Vectra SRI (a car generally slated in the UK by the motoring press). This car performs very consistently in all weather conditions - certainly more stable in windy conditions than my BMW.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by timewa' post='511931' date='Dec 30 2007, 06:14 PM
Drove back home 150km yesterday with strong wind, open area (A31 Germany)
Car was stable at 180km/h although some minor steering corrections were needed.
Judging by the speed and driving style from the other cars on the road, I~d say the E60 is much less sensitive to crosswinds than the average car.

p.s. I have 16 inch (new) Vredestein Xtreme wintertires
This is in great contrast to my experience yesterday. I literally had little Fiat Pandas & Vauxhall Corsa flying by me. At one stage a Ford Transit Van passed and seemed completely stable.

There surely must be something wrong with my car. Think I will book it in at the dealers in the New Year.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='511708' date='Dec 29 2007, 11:27 PM
My first post in while and it's with a problem - sorry folks.

The crosswind issue - covered on here before but previous threads seem to contradict my experiences.

Today I have covered a 240 mile return cross country trip (in UK - Manchester to East Coast & back). The whole journey was in moderate wind conditions and to be honest my car is bordering on dangerous and un-drivable. Any thing above 55 mph proved to be a real handful, with 70 mph requiring serious concentration. The car was pitching and wondering from one side of the lane to the other

I have experienced this on a number of occassions before. In contrast in calm conditions the is 100% stable and a pleasure to drive at all speeds. From what I have read on other threads, isn't this something that usually only effects SE models due to softer suspension and not M-Sport models?

Do I have a fault with the car or is there a serious design flaw? There must be something that can be done to improve this. For the record my car is an LCI 525d M-Sport Built at the end of April.

Yesterday I narrowly avoided a serious accident as I hit some standing water at the exact moment a large gust of wind hit the car. I ended up drifting sideways at 70 mph on a motorway as a result. Fortunately due to my initial quick reactions and then intervention of DSC I was able to regain control. I'm convinced the cars instability in crosswinds caused this!

Any one experiencing similar extreme instability in crosswinds?
I haven't noticed instability which is dramatically worse than other cars that I have driven.

I was out a couple of weeks ago and did notice my car being buffeted a fair amount - I just thought that the wind must be particularly strong that day..

Without driving something else the same day it is hard to say if the E60 is any worse than others.

Regards,
Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='511925' date='Dec 30 2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks for suggestions. My back tyres are past their best but still have a good 3 mm left - am looking at changing these soon anyway - they have covered almost 18k miles (recently found that the gauge at my local garage is out and has resulted in me having approx. 10 PSI more than I intended and thus has began to wear the centres).

Out of curiosity how much did you pay for the rears and from where - are they the 19 non RFT (275/30/19)?

However, not convinced that the problem with mine is tyres or pressures as it has done this to some degree from new - very disappointing!
Kuhmo ECSTA KU31 96 Y 275 X 30 X 19 from Moss tyres
They seem as good if not better than th OEM Continentals (a lot quieter) and very good price compared to Continentals and Michelins (Paid ?290 inc fitting and VAT for 2)
Old 01-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Members

Sounds like your car has a problem

As mentioned, check tyre pressures with a decent gauge.

Assuming all is OK I would get the dealer to check the geometry. Stress the fact it has been like it from new !

I have had two 5's and both have bee fine in the wind.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Hi Palmo!

I have to tell You that I have a simillar problem. I felt my car was all over the road and it is very difficult to maintain it in a straight line. I went to the BMW dealership like 2 weeks ago and guess what...
They told me that my tires are bad!!! The edges on the inside of the tires are worn out! I was told that ths is the problem so I recommend You to take a look at it. In the meantime I am looking for a new tires and will do the allingment too. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

I had the same problem with my 545 that has RFT dunlops with staggered setup. Once the tires started to were unevenly the car would start tramiling and seem to be out of control. With my 550 that has the Conti2s, it is pretty rock solid in all weather conditions.

Good luck in sorting this out.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

interesting how it seems like tires are the cause. i just drove through 20-40mph winds on the highway with no problems.

Quick Reply: SERIOUS crosswind issues.....