E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Senarios for discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bha7176' post='1077600' date='Dec 21 2009, 04:34 PM
I'm with ya, i think the whole battery discharge upon sitting and the need for a tender is bullSHIT!
+1 to that !

I drive only about 8000miles per year, never any battery problems. It's never seen a charger. It often goes 4 or 5 days without leaving the garage. A lot of my trips are short, with lights and seat heating on. All that and still no problems whatsoever, and my battery is 5? years old.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

I drive less than 8k miles a year,the car is garaged overnight and can spend up to 3 weeks without use when I'm using my wife's car.It's a 2007 model and I've not experienced any of these reported battery problems.However,I haven't checked what the capacity is,but diesels usually have a larger capacity battery fitted.Someone has referred to an AGM battery (aka sealed lead acid battery),it is my understanding that this type is standard fitment anyway.
Obviously,the reported battery related problems are not the norm,and dealers should address these problems instead of reiterating the nonsense that you have been told.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Elephantman' post='1077511' date='Dec 21 2009, 07:39 AM
Where did you hear you must connect to a charger? I don't and don't know anyone who does unless the car is going to sit for an extended period of time. You just have to accept all those fancy gadgets and alarms, etc are going to slowly drain your battery.
At the local Dealership- West German BMW in Fort Washington,Pennsylvania. In fact THEY sold me a charger!
Old 12-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

I am with you on this one. Here are my thoughts...

The reason our cars have the battery problem is because of two completely different goals set by the designers. They wanted the computers to warm up as fast as possible, and second they wanted to save gas at all cost. The reason the car wakes up and stays on for 26 minutes when shut down is so the computers have a shorter warm up time. So for our convenience the battery is drained a bit in order to keep the computers in sleep mode longer. The second goal is fuel efficiency or " efficient dynamics". In order to save gas our cars do not charge during driving the way a normal car does. If your in bumper to bumper traffic for 2 hours and then park your car in the garage, you might think your battery is charged but it is most likely closer to about 80% charged. The reason is that the car waits for when your slowing down or simply at highway speeds before it "wastes gas to charge the battery".

Here are my suggestions to BMW in case they are reading this...

1) I would like to see a software upgrade that sets higher priority for battery charging over fuel efficiency.
2) There should be a way to retrieve an item from the vehicle while it is asleep without waking the car up.
3) There needs to be a sleep/service button somewhere that shuts everything down as if your car was locked and asleep so you could work on it without keeping the car awake.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Silber-grau/grau. Vanilla flavored except for cold WX pkg.

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='1077662' date='Dec 21 2009, 09:52 AM
+1 to that !

I drive only about 8000miles per year, never any battery problems. It's never seen a charger. It often goes 4 or 5 days without leaving the garage. A lot of my trips are short, with lights and seat heating on. All that and still no problems whatsoever, and my battery is 5? years old.
Concur. My situation also. I drive even less than 8K/yr. As a test I let my car sit the entire month of September. On October 1st, it started as if I had just turned it off. No alarms or warnings.

BMW's own documentation states that the battery draw is 10 to 40 mA in sleep mode, depending on your accessories. A healthy battery will handle that for a long time. If you feel you need a charger, put the money toward what you REALLY need...a NEW battery.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

so will it hurt a brand new battery to have it hooked up to a tender if the car is going to be sitting for a few days / weeks / months?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by methodsound' post='1077749' date='Dec 21 2009, 04:02 PM
I am with you on this one. Here are my thoughts...

The reason our cars have the battery problem is because of two completely different goals set by the designers. They wanted the computers to warm up as fast as possible, and second they wanted to save gas at all cost. The reason the car wakes up and stays on for 26 minutes when shut down is so the computers have a shorter warm up time. So for our convenience the battery is drained a bit in order to keep the computers in sleep mode longer. The second goal is fuel efficiency or " efficient dynamics". In order to save gas our cars do not charge during driving the way a normal car does. If your in bumper to bumper traffic for 2 hours and then park your car in the garage, you might think your battery is charged but it is most likely closer to about 80% charged. The reason is that the car waits for when your slowing down or simply at highway speeds before it "wastes gas to charge the battery".

Here are my suggestions to BMW in case they are reading this...

1) I would like to see a software upgrade that sets higher priority for battery charging over fuel efficiency.
2) There should be a way to retrieve an item from the vehicle while it is asleep without waking the car up.
3) There needs to be a sleep/service button somewhere that shuts everything down as if your car was locked and asleep so you could work on it without keeping the car awake.
It would sure be helpful if a few BMW executives read some of these messages !