E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Senarios for discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the continuing saga of batteries dying in newer 5 series BMW's, there are a multitude of answers many of us have gotten at our dealerships.

To name a few:
You don't drive enough.
You drive incorrectly.
You have to use the car every day, not every third day.
You don't drive fast enough.
You have to put your car on a float charger every time you come home.

So, I have a few scenarios that bear discussion:
1. A person does not have a garage where they plug their car in every night.
2. A person lives in an apartment or a condo.
3. A well to do middle aged couple wants to own a BMW, but only drives 8000 miles a year.
4. A person uses their BMW on weekends for trips, but it sits idle all week.
5. Many people who own BMW's don't want to or can't plug their car in every night.
6. Finally, if it is so important to connect these vehicles to a charger, on a regular basis, why isn't a charger built into the vehicle?

BTW: The 528 is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned, however, I don't want to have to continually connect the float charger that the dealership sold me. In a way, it is kind of insulting that a luxury vehicle costing over $50K is such an electrical nightmare.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:39 AM
Members

Where did you hear you must connect to a charger? I don't and don't know anyone who does unless the car is going to sit for an extended period of time. You just have to accept all those fancy gadgets and alarms, etc are going to slowly drain your battery.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:52 AM
Members

Did you test the battery?

Maybe check the battery capacity? if any less than 95 or a 100 AH , change it to 110 AH ( use A brand like Bosch S5).

Charging a battery (Full) takes 20 mins of driving. After that should be able to sit a week without problems. I must say doing this for extended times could reduce working life of the battery. ( 2-3 years)

Short spins destroy batteries even faster.

A BMW that mostly drives everyday ( longer than 20 mins ) will easily get 6-8 years, because batteries like to be full of charge

Originally Posted by aland' post='1077380' date='Dec 21 2009, 05:12 AM
In the continuing saga of batteries dying in newer 5 series BMW's, there are a multitude of answers many of us have gotten at our dealerships.

To name a few:
You don't drive enough.
You drive incorrectly.

3. A well to do middle aged couple wants to own a BMW, but only drives 8000 miles a year.
5. Many people who own BMW's don't want to or can't plug their car in every night.
6. Finally, if it is so important to connect these vehicles to a charger, on a regular basis, why isn't a charger built into the vehicle?

BTW: The 528 is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned, however, I don't want to have to continually connect the float charger that the dealership sold me. In a way, it is kind of insulting that a luxury vehicle costing over $50K is such an electrical nightmare.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:24 AM
Members

cheap solution if you are away for 2 weeks or more

just plug in the sigarett 12 V and the sun will do the rest.

Originally Posted by aland' post='1077380' date='Dec 21 2009, 05:12 AM

To name a few:
You don't drive enough.
You drive incorrectly.

Attached Thumbnails Senarios for discussion-bat.jpg  
Old 12-21-2009, 05:30 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by aland' post='1077380' date='Dec 20 2009, 11:12 PM

To name a few:
You don't drive enough.
You drive incorrectly.

I don't think that this affects the majority of BMW owners, but if it did, I am sure people would vote with their cash and migrate to other brands.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

All of my cars stay in a garage. My 5er sat idle for over two weeks on more than one occasion and it ALWAYS started right up the first time cranked it. When it's garaged I leave the doors unlocked (disabling the alarm). Once I left it in an outdoor parking lot during the winter for about a week (doors locked, alarm on) and it started fine.

The only thing I noticed was the battery drain warning and the date/time needed to be reset. After running the engine for just a few minutes and shtting the car off - the warning goes away.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 06' Black Saphire 530i, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg with heated rear seats, Power sunshade, Logic 7 w/CD Changer, PDC, Fold down rear seats Mods* 19" Beyern Mesh wheels with Goodyear F1 pro A/S tires

Originally Posted by pukka' post='1077569' date='Dec 21 2009, 10:00 AM
All of my cars stay in a garage. My 5er sat idle for over two weeks on more than one occasion and it ALWAYS started right up the first time cranked it. When it's garaged I leave the doors unlocked (disabling the alarm). Once I left it in an outdoor parking lot during the winter for about a week (doors locked, alarm on) and it started fine.

The only thing I noticed was the battery drain warning and the date/time needed to be reset. After running the engine for just a few minutes and shtting the car off - the warning goes away.

I did replace my battery, what I dont understand, is when BMW KNOWS this is an issue (hence coming up with "driving profiles" needed to charge the battery), why dont they use AGM batteries as standard equipment! That way if we dont drive enough, the battery will self charge itself before we try driving off again! For the price of these cars, an extra 20-50$ for an upgraded battery should be a no-brainer
Old 12-21-2009, 06:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

sixcard
Old 12-21-2009, 06:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

sixcard

REPOST REPOST
Old 12-21-2009, 06:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

I'm with ya, i think the whole battery discharge upon sitting and the need for a tender is bullSHIT! I did find out that the battery is covered under warranty if you call the roadside assistance 800 number and they come to your location (which I did two months ago when the car wouldn't start) BUT apparently is NOT covered if you take it into the dealer.

So, to be sure, if you are under warranty still and think your battery is dying - kill it then call BMW assist for roadside assistance and you can get a new battery for free!!!!

I have since bought the tender from BMW (at $70!), and have my car hooked up to it as it sits in the garage for the winter with its brand new battery which I hope will last for many many years to come.

Quick Reply: Senarios for discussion