E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Self Repair???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on the road this past Sunday driving back to the city when all of a sudden I get a transmission fault/failure on the I-drive screen. The symbol on the dash with the car sitting on the hydraulic lift lights up.
The message said to bring the car to a stop safely and not to use the brakes to agressively.

It was already a hot day and air conditioner which was on at the time started to blow warm. The windows (all fours) would not roll down and the steering became heavier. The windshield wipers also turned on (a safety feature I assume) and could not be turned off. I pulled over and turned the car off for a minute and back on a couple times and still the same errors. One of the messages stated not to drive agressively and so continued on with various faults showing up and windshield wipers going.

As it was 95 degrees here in hotLanta I was however able to open the sunroof because by that time the cabin had become uncomfortably warm.

I got to my destination, parked the car, turned it off, got out and locked the doors. I then unlocked them got back in and started it up, air conditoner was back on, windshield wipers were back at rest, windows were able to roll up/down. The only thing left from the incident was the "service engine soon" light stayed on.

The next morning I drove a short distance with engine light still on.

This morning I started the car and the engine light was now off. everything working as normal still.
nothing was noted in the service status, or check control messages area on the I-drive.

I started to drive and figured I'd head toward the BMW dealership, on the way I called up the service advisor and told them exactly what I witnessed above. They said I could bring it in but suggested that I could just keep an eye on it.

I was also asked if I had ran through any water puddles, which I hadnt.

I told them id keep an eye on it...a little over 8k miles so far.

Anyone have this happen?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 Bi-Fuel Business Navigation Park distance control Sunroof extended airco with armrest 18" M5 rims with Runflats xbox with 2 headrests LCD front LCD video enabled Detachable towbar Alarm anti-blind rearview mirror Adaptive Xenon Bluetooth carkit Garage door opener integrated Headlight cleaning system Seat heating front

I had also an error message but not as drastic as yours. It was an warning that "the engine is under heavy load, drive slowly to your nearest dealer". I stopped the car, and after a few minutes started the car, no problems then but still an engine faulure light was still burning, and after 1500km ( next day) the light went off.

I think if the car runs OK for so many k/m the computer decides that it was not an correct failure and resets the failure.

Justin
Old 05-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Justin' post='289901' date='May 30 2006, 03:52 PM
I think if the car runs OK for so many k/m the computer decides that it was not an correct failure and resets the failure.

Justin
I'm thinking the same thing now that you mention it. Now if they'd only add some audible voice feedback.

"Akira. I've decided the faults that occured two days ago were in error. I've started a process that should correct all faults and should be completed shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience."

My new lady friend already calls the car "Kit".
Old 05-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 Bi-Fuel Business Navigation Park distance control Sunroof extended airco with armrest 18" M5 rims with Runflats xbox with 2 headrests LCD front LCD video enabled Detachable towbar Alarm anti-blind rearview mirror Adaptive Xenon Bluetooth carkit Garage door opener integrated Headlight cleaning system Seat heating front

Originally Posted by akirax' post='289905' date='May 30 2006, 03:02 PM
I'm thinking the same thing now that you mention it. Now if they'd only add some audible voice feedback.

"Akira. I've decided the faults that occured two days ago were in error. I've started a process that should correct all faults and should be completed shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience."

My new lady friend already calls the car "Kit".
LOL,

"Akira. I've decided the faults that occured two days ago were in error. I've started a process that should correct all faults and should be completed shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience. And to make it up with you I will increase your engine power with 100 hp for one week"