E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Seat memory, windows.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't want to jump into conclusions but I just wanted to double check with you guys first.

I just returned back to Beirut 2days ago. The battery had been unplugged for 3months now.

After plugging it back. I drove the car and everything was working properly EXCEPT for the following:

-Windows not opening when holding unlock using key
-Memory seats and mirror not functioning using memory saving

Anyhow, after a long day, I parked the car and went to sleep. Today morning, my sister wakes me up and tells me ALL 4 WINDOWS are opened COMPLETELY.

I have read this before around here to people happening to them. Now it couldn't have been me (holding the unlock button on key in my pocket) as the sunroof would have opened since all 4 windows where opened ENTIRELY.

So I went down, turned the car on (it had rained ) and everything seemed to be working perfectly. Windows now open using keys and the memory seats are working again.

Could it be the battery? This is weird. And I drove around 100miles so far, so it should have recharged again.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Bteljuice
Old 12-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Contributors

While your car was not fed with 12v for that period of time any residual memory in those systems' computers was lost. I'm surprised that they returned after you reinstalled the battery without reinitializing the windows and roof but if everything is operating normally you should be in good shape.

If your battery was left on a trickle charger it should be good to go on for a while - if not, search the forum for battery problems because our cars are real volt-hungry and you might consider keeping it on a trickle charger unless you are driving several long trips daily to keep it charged.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Contributors

Thank you Luigi for your input.

My old memory was lost but the problem was the memory was NOT saving at all. That was the problem. Now everything is working again.

Now I am not worried about anything EXCEPT for the windows opening alone for 2 reasons:

-Rain
-Theft (the car has a special license plate, so It is a big target for thieves)

I just want to avoid the windows to open again alone. Is this a battery problem or some computer problem that needs re-programing or some other issue?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

When you hold down the unlock button on the fob, the windows go down first and then the roof opens, right? If so, then it's still possible that an accidental pressing of the unlock button while in a pants pocket or something (just long enough to bring down the windows but not open the roof) might be the culprit to why they were down...
Old 12-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1068676' date='Dec 6 2009, 12:18 PM
When you hold down the unlock button on the fob, the windows go down first and then the roof opens, right? If so, then it's still possible that an accidental pressing of the unlock button while in a pants pocket or something (just long enough to bring down the windows but not open the roof) might be the culprit to why they were down...
But what are the possibilities that I stopped accidentally pressing it at the moment the windows rolled down completely and right before the roof opens up. I think it is highly un-probable that this is the case. If they were opened slightly,half way or 2/3 of the way then it should be it.

Yes, As you, I am pondering of what is the cause. Im going to check the battery tomorrow at the mechanic and let you guys know.

Rudy, if you have any wild guesses, please let me know. Im willing to try them out for the sake of the car
Old 12-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

I've only had my 535i since July. Sometime during the first night at home all the windows and the roof all opened overnight. The car was still locked in the AM (since no door was opened probably relocked itself). The fob was 50 ft away sitting on a table. BTW, the battery had been replaced the day before when I picked up the car. Subsequently, found out the car had had a new battery three months earlier as well.
A week later, the "High battery discharge" warning came on. Over the course of three weeks and three visits to the dealer, the main "Comfort Access Module" was replaced, the electronic gear shift was replaced (both registered high battery drains) and finally the fix that worked was an after-market alarm system (that I didn't know I had acquired), was removed. Problem solved.
I suspect, (based on my headaches) that your battery was the factor. When the battery is experiencing a low charge situation several on-board modules shut off to save power. Hopefully, your battery is now fully charged and the problem may never return. Mine hasn't (knock wood)!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1068676' date='Dec 6 2009, 12:18 PM
Exactly what happened to me the first night I had my car. Rainy night at a friend's party. Someone told me my alarm was going off ... went out to find windows down / roof open. Alarm was probably triggered by rain ... went outside to close things up and dry it out.

Fortunately no damage was done since I caught the situation quickly. The key fob was in my pocket and sure enough it didn't take much to press a button. I was extra careful until the my leather FOB covers I bought came in.

Never happened since so I feel I can point to the fob in pocket as the culprit.

Let's call it BMW's Comfort Access version of butt-dialing!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1068832' date='Dec 6 2009, 04:15 PM
Let's call it BMW's Comfort Access version of butt-dialing!
hahaha

But yours opened the roof, which is explainable. Mine didn't So it cant be the key.

EDIT:Im sorry, also missed a VERY IMPORTANT FACTOR which I forgot to mention. When I went down the next day to close the windows. the car was LOCKED.I think when u hold the unlock button, it unlocks the car then opens the windows no?
Old 12-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gilgorm' post='1068822' date='Dec 6 2009, 04:06 PM
I've only had my 535i since July. Sometime during the first night at home all the windows and the roof all opened overnight. The car was still locked in the AM (since no door was opened probably relocked itself). The fob was 50 ft away sitting on a table. BTW, the battery had been replaced the day before when I picked up the car. Subsequently, found out the car had had a new battery three months earlier as well.
A week later, the "High battery discharge" warning came on. Over the course of three weeks and three visits to the dealer, the main "Comfort Access Module" was replaced, the electronic gear shift was replaced (both registered high battery drains) and finally the fix that worked was an after-market alarm system (that I didn't know I had acquired), was removed. Problem solved.
I suspect, (based on my headaches) that your battery was the factor. When the battery is experiencing a low charge situation several on-board modules shut off to save power. Hopefully, your battery is now fully charged and the problem may never return. Mine hasn't (knock wood)!
Yes, I will keep monitoring it. I will take the car tomorrow to a nearby mechanic and see the battery Voltage. Lets hope nothing happens tonight.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='1068841' date='Dec 6 2009, 04:21 PM
hahaha

But yours opened the roof, which is explainable. Mine didn't So it cant be the key.

EDIT:Im sorry, also missed a VERY IMPORTANT FACTOR which I forgot to mention. When I went down the next day to close the windows. the car was LOCKED.I think when u hold the unlock button, it unlocks the car then opens the windows no?
Yes, it unlocks doors first, then windows then sunroof, but, if a car door isn't opened, then after approx. 2 minutes the car will lock itself but NOT close the windows or set the alarm. Try it. Mine is a 2008.

Quick Reply: Seat memory, windows.