E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Seat Height - Where do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535dSE - Amethyst Grey, No model insc, standard wheels, Dynamic Drive, Rear side airbags, Auto-dim ext & int mirrors, Myrtle wood trim, Amethyst-Exclusive Leather, Heated front & rear seats, Active front seats, Electric comfort seats, Visibilty Pack, Pro Sat-Nav with TV, Bluetooth, Sun Protection glass.

I am curious. Whenever I get into someone else's car the seat always seems to be set at its highest setting with the steering wheel jammed low down into my lap. The same goes when I collect my car from the dealer. I must say I feel a bit like a pea on a drum and I'm sitting on the car rather than in it and, believe me, I'm not tall. Cornering never seems quite so secure when I'm sitting high up. I always feel like I'm gonna fall out somehow. I know we're only talking a few millimetres, but it makes the car feel entirely different to me.

I was wondering how other people liked to set up things.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

proper seat height is when you can fit 4-5 fingers (your hand) between your head and the headliner
Old 01-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='384176' date='Jan 28 2007, 03:37 AM
proper seat height is when you can fit 4-5 fingers (your hand) between your head and the headliner
Why?
Old 01-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

If your knees arnt close to the steering wheel how can you steer the car? I mean your hands are busy holding the phone (*Given no BT *), Changing gears, Drinking Coffee, and holding the newspaper... surely it makes it easier to steer with your knee when its closer to the bottom of the steering wheel.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='384177' date='Jan 27 2007, 06:38 PM
Why?
for most ppl, the best visibility out of the car is when you can see an uninterrupted imaginary plane halfway between the rearview mirror and driver's side mirror. this usually happens when the top of your head is a just a few inches under the roof, hence use your hand as a guide.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

Seat height as low as possible and seat almost all the way back (6'2" tall) and almost on the upright position.
Steering wheel: Almost completely retracted and low.
What I cannot seem to find a proper setting for is the lumbar support.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I don't like the "fist between headliner" rule because when I adjust to that position, the rearview mirror obstructs my view out the right side of the front windshield.

I prefer seat in the lowest position, because this gives me the best visibility.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='384180' date='Jan 27 2007, 11:45 PM
for most ppl, the best visibility out of the car is when you can see an uninterrupted imaginary plane halfway between the rearview mirror and driver's side mirror. this usually happens when the top of your head is a just a few inches under the roof, hence use your hand as a guide.
Seems a very strange position to be perched up that high. In the E60 I doubt very much whether you have a very clear view of the speedo at that height as the steering wheel will be blocking much of it.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dawi' post='384209' date='Jan 28 2007, 04:56 AM
Seems a very strange position to be perched up that high. In the E60 I doubt very much whether you have a very clear view of the speedo at that height as the steering wheel will be blocking much of it.
True. I keep mine on the lowest position. And the steering wheel also in the lowest position, and fully outwards.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

I am 6 ft tall and this is how I adjustment my seat and mirrors in a car:

Seat lowered to the lowest position. Tilt the front of the seat up just enough to feel comfortable.

In an automatic transmission car move the seat back (or forth) until I can firmly push the brake paddle all the way down while my knee is still lightly bent. In a manual shift car I will do the same but use the clutch paddle to judge instead of the brake paddle.

Adjust the seat back as upright as possible and drop back just enough to feeling comfortable.

Adjust the steering wheel back or forth until I can put my right hand at the 10 o'clock position while my elbow is still slightly bent. This allows me to firmly control the wheel when I have to steer out of an emergency situation.

Move the steering wheel up or down until the top of the rim just clears the top of the speedometer & tachometer.

Move the head rest to its highest position.

Adjust all three mirrors so that there is virtually no overlap between what I can see in each mirror when I turn my head naturally.

Quick Reply: Seat Height - Where do you prefer?