E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SEAT HEATER MELTDOWN

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i sport, premium, winter, xenon. xm satellite radio, navwithtv dvd system, 1 jl 10w7 sub powered by xtant 1001x amp. 20x8.5/10 on nitto nt555 rubber. acs roof and decklid spoiler, breyton front spoiler.

today i was driving along and decided to turn on my seatheat as i do everyday in the ny cold and all of a sudden i smell something burning and then i feel it. My heater burnt right through the leather on my sports seat and burnt a nice hole in my $200 nortface jacket. needless to say i am not very happy but i spoke to bmw and theres a recall on the seats and my dealer is paying for my coat while it is an inconvenience it could have been a lot worse
Old 01-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by JOHN' date='Jan 10 2005, 12:07 AM
today i was driving along and decided to turn on my seatheat as i do everyday in the ny cold and all of a sudden i smell something burning and then i feel it. My heater burnt right through the leather on my sports seat and burnt a nice? hole in my $200 nortface jacket.? needless to say i am not very happy but i spoke to bmw and theres a recall on the seats and my dealer is paying for my coat while it is an inconvenience it could have been a lot worse
[snapback]77664[/snapback]
Sorry to hear that. Hope you get the things work out soon.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Glad your okay.. This is a known problem. What's your build date?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Dave

I had the same problem, the local dealer said that they had never heard of this happening. Overall, not too big of a deal, but I'm tired of hearing about these simple problems, I thought I purchased a car that had the worlds best engineering.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Senior Members

I smelled a small fire in the area of my lumbar support the other night and, remembering the "stop, drop and roll" method from my childhood, I quickly doused the flames with a newly-opened Budweiser and rolled away from the vehicle.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

But, with all seriousness, I do smell something burning everytime I use the heated seats on "3." I'm waiting for the recall notice so I can get my car detailed.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:05 PM
Contributors

Thanks to this Forum, I did NOT order the heated seats having heard of these problems early on...discoloration of leather, burned buns, et al!
Old 01-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

I just spoke to my service technician and they have my seats apart checking the heaters (my car is getting S/W upgrade for the emission recall). I never had any problems with them so I hope they don't screw something up. I wouldn't buy a BMW without seat heaters. The E60 heaters are better than the ones in the E46 (loaner) as I they have better "coverage".
Old 01-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I don't have the burn smell or the leather holes but I can't drive around with the heater set to three as it is very hot and uncomfortable. I wonder if I left it on three woud I be having the same burning problem.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Jan 11 2005, 07:09 PM
I don't have the burn smell or the leather holes but I can't drive around with the heater set to three as it is very hot and uncomfortable. I wonder if I left it on three woud I be having the same burning problem.
[snapback]78263[/snapback]

Pennetta, I would take the car into the dealer to check the heater because I suspect you will have a hole in the seat in the near future. I also thought the seat to be too hot when it was set on three, and sure enough not too long after that I started getting that burning smell and then the burnt through leather. Mmmm, I wonder if my dealer will also reimburse me for my ruined suit jacket.

Quick Reply: SEAT HEATER MELTDOWN