E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Seat-caused Back Pain- Solved

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 04:04 PM
Probation Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525i
Model Year: 2005
Thumbs up Seat-caused Back Pain- Solved

I have been driving for 42 years and owned a diverse collection of vehicles. I have worked in the OEM parts, Auto Dealer, Collision Repair, and Used Vehicle industries for over 3 decades. I survived a few severe auto accidents but have never suffered any pain that compares with the lower back agony delivered from day-to-day driving of my pre-owned 2006 525i.
Internet research reveals that this experience is common to many BMW owners. The leather on the seat is whole, free of excessive wear or any tears, so I attempted some cost-conscience remedies. I received a temporary reprieve from the pain by placing a couple of large folded towels on the rear portion of the seat's bottom. This would help when taking short drives but the pain returned with a vengeance. I tried every combination of seat positioning, incorporating a soft-gel seat cushion and even wrapping a hardcover report binder into towels to provide support.
Exhausting my meager skills brought me to my experienced auto upholsterer. He and I agreed that adding high-density foam especially in the rear portion of the seat bottom would help. Once he removed the seat and inspected the bottom-side he identified the cause of the problem. The molded foam cushion was intact but it was the steel webbing that was supposed to support the molded cushion that was poorly engineered. The spaces between the webbing were too large and the cushion protruded easily. He suggested adding carpet to the steel webbing to provide the necessary support. Adding the high-density foam on top and bolstering the cushion from the bottom created a better-than-new seat. Back pain immediately disappeared.
Weeks later, I am enjoying this car like never before. I look forward to long drives. I am confident this will transform your BMW from a torture device into a comfortable vehicle.

Last edited by Gus Castillo; 12-27-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Thanks for sharing your story Gus, and welcome to the forum. I have the 11-way comfort access seats in my '07 530xi, so I have never suffered anything like you have described, and I too get lower back pain, but never while driving. So you determined that your seat was essentially defective? Is the passenger seat the same way?
Old 12-27-2019, 08:28 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Gus Castillo
I have been driving for 42 years and owned a diverse collection of vehicles. I have worked in the OEM parts, Auto Dealer, Collision Repair, and Used Vehicle industries for over 3 decades. I survived a few severe auto accidents but have never suffered any pain that compares with the lower back agony delivered from day-to-day driving of my pre-owned 2006 525i.
Internet research reveals that this experience is common to many BMW owners. The leather on the seat is whole, free of excessive wear or any tears, so I attempted some cost-conscience remedies. I received a temporary reprieve from the pain by placing a couple of large folded towels on the rear portion of the seat's bottom. This would help when taking short drives but the pain returned with a vengeance. I tried every combination of seat positioning, incorporating a soft-gel seat cushion and even wrapping a hardcover report binder into towels to provide support.
Exhausting my meager skills brought me to my experienced auto upholsterer. He and I agreed that adding high-density foam especially in the rear portion of the seat bottom would help. Once he removed the seat and inspected the bottom-side he identified the cause of the problem. The molded foam cushion was intact but it was the steel webbing that was supposed to support the molded cushion that was poorly engineered. The spaces between the webbing were too large and the cushion protruded easily. He suggested adding carpet to the steel webbing to provide the necessary support. Adding the high-density foam on top and bolstering the cushion from the bottom created a better-than-new seat. Back pain immediately disappeared.
Weeks later, I am enjoying this car like never before. I look forward to long drives. I am confident this will transform your BMW from a torture device into a comfortable vehicle.
There is one fact that you should mention that would help in understanding this "poorly engineered" steel webbing. How much do you weigh?
Old 12-28-2019, 08:24 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

My wife hates the comfort seats in my 535xi. Says she can't get comfortable and prefers the base seats in her E53 X5. I find the X5 seats are fine but have no side support at all, plus have a very short squab. I've set the front passenger seat to simulate the X5 seat as much as possible, yet it's still no go for her. I can get the comfort seats set to hold me 8 ways from Tuesday and have always found them to be excellent.